Another testimony for "the shake"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kbak, Feb 18, 2006.

1. kbak

kbak Member

I have been hearing about this "shake" here for quite a while. So I looked up the recipe from the past messages. Now looking at the ingredience I thought, how could this really make a difference? I already have flax, almonds, and apples in my daily diet without any dramatic results.

So I mixed all the ingredience, not bad. Well, I'll let you know that I have always had a hard time getting sleep even with medication. I'm taking 300mg neurontin at nite, and have wanted to start weening off of it, or at least that much of it because I don't feel it's a very health drug.

Even cutting the dose back a little bit has skrewed with my sleep. Made me afraid I'd never get off the drug. Since taking the shake, and it's only been 5 day's now, I've been able to cut my neurontin in half, already, and have been sleeping way better.

This is so amazing to me! I was VERY skeptical. The mollasses in it must really do the trick. Mollasses is very high in potassium and other minerals and that must make some kind of difference. I still can't believe that simple shake can really make that much difference in my sleep!

Thanks Stormyskyes, our resident shake expert.

K.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

K:
    You and stormyskes are beginning to convince me to give it a try. And it sounds yummy, too.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I swear by it...Isn't it great.

It would be so wonderful if you could stop the neurontin all together some day!!

So glad you will be getting better sleep.

SherylD
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Nyrofan
    SheryID
    Stormy

I like the taste of the shake, but some people don't like the molasses taste. I'd probably drink sludge if it worked!

Now, I am taking 750mg GABA at nite, soo between that and the shake, I really am getting a better sleep. I am aiming at being neurontin free someday. It might be a real possiblity if things keep going as good as they are.

If Stormy hadn't keep in there singing the shake song I might not have tried it. Like I said, looking at the ingredience who would think it would make a difference.

I see some people have problem's with the shake. I think one of the pluses on my side is I don't take a bunch of meds. I also have a very refined healthy diet. If you don't eat well, I don't think you can be well.

It certainly is worth a try for anyone on the fence. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but in the battle for sleep, I'd try just about anything.

K.
  5. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

When should I drink the shake for best results, morning or
    night? Thanks.

Dreamharp
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Dreamharp,
    I know many take theirs in the morn. I take mine in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe Stormyskes can answer this. I don't really know if it makes a difference.

K.
  7. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Stormy has always said it is best to have first thing in the morning...It all effects the levels we need for the sleep at night..

She could explain better I'm sure.
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was curious do you take any kind of precritption meds at all?

i have been reading your posts and i to am another one that thinks maybe is should give this shake a try..but i have not...

does it help w/depression and anxiety as well?

yes i have allover pain...tennis elbow i can not get rid of over two years now...

jodie
  9. wildwoodlane

wildwoodlane Member

I can safely say you should not go off your Norvasc. I take it too, along with Lipitor, Atenolol, Levothyroxine, plus couple others. Risk of stroke is too great if you should discontinue your b.p. med.

On one of Stormy's other posts re: the shake, she said mineral pills could be substituted for the molasses, but you would need to check on the potassium content on them, too.

I have tried the shake but lately have had much tummy distress (gastroparesis acting up, I think) so have not been drinking it. I have the ingredients, though, and sometimes put the whey on my cereal along with the flaxseed. I just eat the almonds and apple and don't always take minerals or molasses.

Good luck,
    wildwoodlane
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

for answering my question...now i need to print out the shake recipe and give it a try..what do i have to loose at this point...

oh unwanted pain!

jodie
  11. wildwoodlane

wildwoodlane Member

We all need to hear those encouraging words. My doc figures I am on my meds "for life" and I may be, but eating right has to make a difference. It is tough to make these changes and I think I am having some reactions to, possibly, the probiotic -- Solaray Multidophilus -- (stomach distress mid-morning after the capsule at breakfast), but I will stay with it and hope my body will adjust. I have definitely cut back on sugar and chocolate intake and have lost a few pounds. That in itself is a plus. Stormy, we are all relying on you to keep us on the straight and narrow!

wild