Another trip to the ER last night....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nonnie1967, Feb 23, 2006.

1. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I feel so bad. My husband had to take me (and our almost-3 and almost-5-year-old children) to a VERY busy ER last night. I had a migraine that had gone on for about 10 days but finally blew up big time last evening. And the one and a half 10 mg. tabs of Vicodin PLUS the 12.5 mg. Axert PLUS the 60 mg. Dextromethorphan I took at home didn't even TOUCH it. :)

We left for the hospital (which is a few blocks from our house) at a little after 8:00. We got home about midnight. (My poor babies slept in the car for part of the time.) As I waited for treatment in the ER, a little child cried. I felt so bad for him, but the crying was torture for me, too. :-(

My husband had to call off work last night to take care of me and the kids. (He works midnights.) I feel so bad about that. He's only been on this job for two months. :-(

Then I had to get up at 5:15 and go to work this morning. I am still not completely over the headache, and still pretty woozy from the meds they gave me.

I really hope I can kick this thing soon. I'm not sure how much more I (we) can take....

Thanks for reading all of this. It's so nice to be able to tell people who understand what it's like. :)
  2. gumama

gumama New Member

I use to have Migraine headaches through most of my 40's and 50's. but once I went through the change they were gone.. HOWEVER.. I've been under a lot of stress lately, putting my Mom in a nursing home, and my husband being ill with Lupus and heart issues... I've taken care of both of them the last 15 months all by myself...

I am NOW having Tension headaches, and believe me I understand your pain. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can handle pain in any part of my body EXCEPT my head.. I'm sure mine are from the tightness in my shoulders and upper body from lifting my Mom etc.

I'm so sorry you had to go to the ER. but I have a neighbor who walks in your shoes, and we had to take her 2 weeks ago.. NOTHING touched hers either.. and she's a single Mom. so I know how hard this is for you to have to take your babies out in the night like that..

I wish you well and hope these headaches are gone SOON.

Blessings
    gumama
  3. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

You are so sweet. :) I hope you are able to get some help - and hopefully a massage or two for those sore muscles!

I don't know how single moms/caregivers do it - especially ones with migraines and/or FMS. I told my husband that if anything ever happens to him, I hope there is a total-care nursing home that will accept a 38-year-old woman with her two boys! ;-)

I hate SO MUCH putting my kids through stuff like this. The one positive thing I pray they will get from it is a deep compassion for people who are ill and/or in pain. I think that is all too rare in today's world. :-(
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

tHAT PAIN IS SO AWFUL.. i WANTED TO SHARE THAT WHEN i HAD A PROCEDURE DONE THIS WEEK, AFTER HAVING AN UNRELATED MIGRAINE OF DAYS, WHEN i CAME TO FROM THE vESaid and Fentynal my migraine had gone. I think the Fentanyl(sp?) did the trick. I mention this as I ubnderstand one can get patches with it for migraine.

Love Anne C
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

nonie1967:
    You poor thing...and then having to go to work the next day.
    I hope you get this migraine thing nailed down so you never, ever have to go through an evening like that again.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  6. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

cromwell, I wish my doc would give me a fentanyl patch! (I did get that at the ER last night. :)) But it's usually a battle just to get the Vicodin from him....

Nyrofan, happily I'm only working a half day today - in fact, I'm leaving now. I'm seeing my PCP at 1:40, and then I'm having a stress test at 3:00. Have a good afternoon, everyone! :)
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

you said he won't prescribe strong enough stuff for your migraines. I don't know how well he knows you, but I got this tickeling idea (probably superdumb), that you come to him and ask if he could write a letter to your boss to excuse you for future abcenses for migraines (since you are only on MILD medication for it,,,,). That might embarrass him so much he will finally prescribe something decent. By the way, migraines can be dangerous, they really should be treated properly.
  8. gottalottalove

gottalottalove New Member

I have had migraines all my life, my 14year old son too. I also have FMS, work go to school. whew the things we do! I am so glad you have a hubby and children to look towards. Don't feel bad, let them help you, I am sure you give them a 100% when you can. I am alergic to all the "new" migraine meds, so I go through a pain management group for everyday pain, and my Doc in town gives me things that help me get GOOD sleep most of the time. I wish only light hugs and kisses. Watch a sad movie and have a good cry, sometimes this de-stresses my emotions---not to good of a cry, it may recycle your migraine....Sweet Dreams and Good Wishes for you and your loved ones. I had to write to let you know we do feel your pain. I hope the ER visit doesn't tap you out financially, I know with us, I always wait till the last minute myself for relief. Peace Out. Tina
  9. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I get migraines as well, and I have a 4 y.o. daughter who never stops moving, or talking, which as you know is great fun when your head feels like someone stuck a knife into your left eye socket and you're in extreme sensory overload.

Honestly, I only went to the doctor once (a walk-in clinic) for a particularly bad migraine, and that was because I had stomach flu and couldn't keep down any of my migraine medicine (pills). He gave me a shot of Demerol, which really did nothing, and sent me home. Imitrex and Maxalt used to help back when the migraines were more hormonal (got them each mo. like clockwork while on BC pills). Now, they are much more tied to detox/toxin dumps (my body trying to get rid of a bunch of toxins at once), and they are impossibly stubborn. No meds touch them, and even accupuncture, accupressure, magnesium, caffeine, whatever do anything. I have gotten fairly used to mentally "distancing" myself from the pain to where I can cope, although miserably, the several days 'til they are gone. Fortunately, I don't get them quite as often now (maybe every 6-8 weeks).

Sorry to digress. I do so feel for you, though, and I hope the kids were good to Mommy and you are having a better day now. Hope you get a chance to rest and can have a quiet weekend.

Take care,
    C.