Another xanax question/One more ques.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

You guys that take xanax for panic attacks and anxiety, I have a question. How do ya'll take it. Do you take it when you feel like you are gonna have a panic attack or do you take it every day to keep it in your system to keep you calm? Hope this makes sense.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I don't know about the one you use, but the .5 mg. I use is generic and it tastes horrible just trying to swallow it if it should get stuck in my mouth. I would definitely not want it under my tongue.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Thank you guys for this helpful info.

Kriket
  4. Astarte

Astarte New Member

works fairly quickly so taking it when I feel stressed works for me. I don't have consistant anxiety attacks though.
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

which is usually, by Nighttime, I find it helps me get to sleep, better than the current sleep meds.
    But I don't stay asleep more than 4 hrs tops.

When I am going through a stressful time, I take one then.
    I get the .05mg. So sometimes I can break it in half, during the day, so I won't have that weird, Thick Feeling I get when I take a whole one.

I could walk into a door, and not feel it on thoes.
    I'm the same with Valuim, and yet my Younger Bro. can take them and they help with his Anxiety and also his Pain.

Hope you find a dose that will be of help to you , so you can get rid of thoes "attacks". They are not fun, that's for sure.
    sharonk
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

if I feel anxious or edgy. Under the tongue is a bit bitter, like Faye said, but it does work alot faster. It is what I do when I need to take it because it starts working almost right away for me that way.

I do know people who take it all the time for sleep, but my doc did not want me on it more often than once every other day. I hardly use it at all now. My first script of 20 pills lasted about 10 months and I am on my 2nd that I have had for about a year and still have plenty left.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sonya,
    A bit bitter? lol It is nasty tasting! I can barely wait to get the taste out of my mouth from just swallowing the pill. This is the last thing I would hold under my tongue. lol

I do find that it works well for me, just 3 times a day and I can go 12 hours or so between pills with no problems. I haven't built up a tolerance to it and have been on the same dose for 9 years.

I think it really helps the pain of my FMS.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2006]
  8. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

and boy oh boy it is a bitter pill if you let it melt in your mouth. I have anxiety so I take it also when needed, but mainly before bedtime.

TxSongBird
  9. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

...I am taking it as soon as I feel my anxiety getting out of control. I think it is better to "nip it in the bud" so to speak, rather than wait til you have a full blown panic attack.

My situation is a little severe right now as I am tapering off antidepressants and having a heck of a time with them. So, I'm having to take more xanax than I ever had before.

But I still think it's better to "nip things in the bud" with a lower dose than have to take a much higher dose when things get out of control.
  10. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I take it as needed, and usuallyt with something to drink. NOT under my tongue! I agree with folks on here- blech, it tastes yucky.

I usually take it in the evenings when I am feeling panicky, super stressed and have muscle spasms. I don't usually take it in the day if I have to go to work or drive or anything that is responsible for someone else, because I need to be able to go at my own pace and relax when I take it and not worry about feeling loopy or affected by the medication.

I wouldn't take it everyday, just because i try to take it only when I really need it. If I took it more than that, I think I would build up a tolerance and I want to try and live without it as much as I can- even though it is a wonderful tool. Plus, if I had to take it everyday, I think that would be evidence that I have a bigger problem with my health that needs to be addressed.

But that's just me.

If you are just now starting xanax or panic attacks, I suggest taking the med when you are starting to get the feeling you will have one- I get to feeling "edgy" or tense or jumpy right before I get an attack, and if I take it then it can stop the attack before it fully starts.

I also have taken it right when I start to have an attack- when I start to gasp right when I start to hyperventilate. I take it under the tongue when I'm that desperate.
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

I think you guys answered my question perfectly. Just what I was needing to know. Thanks a bunch to all of you who responded.

Kriket
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

Just curious to know if it increases your appetite or has made any one gain weight.

Kriket
  13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have been taking it for close to a year and have lost at least 5 lbs. during that time. Definitely no weight gain problem.
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been taking Xanax for about 20 years off and on. I used to take .25mgs at night for sleep, or if I could feel that anxiety coming on, then I would take half of the 25mg to wade if off.

But lately I have been having a terrible time with depression, first time in my life. I have what the doctor called 'Situational Depression', its caused by some problems I am having in my marriage for the last few months.

I am taking them about three or four times a day, some days I just take two, sometimes more. Depends on how I feel. The doctor wanted to give me an SSRI (Lexapro), I refused to take it, so he gave me my Xanax (he was not a happy camper about this). I have read too much about SSRI's to go there.

I have not had a problem with addiction with Xanax before, but have not ever taken this much either. I do not know what is going to happen this time.

To sleep, I take about 50mgs, along with ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), and a Melatonin (hormone) 1 1/2 mgs at night. I sleep about 7-8 hours with the above.

You can read more about the two supplements, ZMA and Melatonin at the 'Store' link here, Pro Health sells both of them. They are wonderful along with the Xanax for sleep.

I also put the Xanax under the tongue, I got use to the bad tast as it works so much faster than swallowing them. I let it melt, than drink some apple or orange juice to get the taste out of my mouth. Grape juice will help too.

As for weight gain, no way! I usually weight 125lb, but since the depression hit, and I am taking so much more Xanax, I am down to about 95lbs. I could use my 30lbs back in a big way!

It will also help the FM pain, If the pain is bad, I will take .25 Xanax, and an Advil gel capsule it really works great. I am deadly allergic to pain pills.

Good luck, I can't complain about Xanax, its been a lifesaver for me.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  15. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've been on this med for almost ten years now. I started out at a .25 dosage, but have always had a tolerance to most meds (I've had these DDs for most of my life). I've been on 1mg for about 8 years; my Rx is written for 2 daily.

On my "good" days I just take one at bedtime to help me sleep.

As for the bitterness, I find that if I place it all the way on the back of my tongue and then drink water, I hardly ever taste it. Guess there must be less taste buds or something way back there. Dunno. 8^)

When I'm under a lot of stress, or when I feel like I have creepy crawlies all over me, I'll take one or even two extra that particular day.

I've used it under my tongue when I feel expecially anxious, etc, but usually only a quarter to half of a pill. As soon as it dissolves I pop a mint in my mouth to get rid of the taste. Yes, they are bitter -- but the way I look at it, the bitterness isn't nearly as bad as the panic attacks/extreme anxiety that necessitates me to resort to putting one under my tongue.

I really wish I never had to take any meds. Unfortunately, with FM/CFS/MPS/OA/RSD/IBS/MVPS and several other DDs to add to my "alphabet soup" that's just not going to happen.

We've just gotta do what we've gotta do. Right?

Mar
  16. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I have been taking Xanax for over a year now, was also on it for awhile a few years ago- I have not had any weight gain- a matter of fact I have lost 65#- since last year- could stand to lose another 40.

when people see you they said, boy you look good and young, wish I felt like that. Anyways Xanax really helps if you have high anxiety and panic attacks. I don't remember seeing weight gain as a side affect....

I guess I will be on it for awhile,,,

Hugs
  17. kriket

kriket New Member

How much is .5 MG. Isn't that a very low dose? This dose seems really low or maybe I am confused.

Kriket
  18. kriket

kriket New Member

So, .5 is stronger than .25 right? I feel so stupid, but I am a bit confused about how they have the MG stated.

Kriket
  19. kriket

kriket New Member

I finally got the picture. DUH!!!

Kriket
  20. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I take mine three times a day to keep for having anxiety attacks at all.

I guess other people may do it differently but as bad a my attacks are I try to keep from having them at all.

Pamela