Answer to LENASVN Being an actor...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Callum, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

I am indeed an actor, Lena. For almost eight years, I wasn't - the CFS just wouldn't let me work the 35 hours a weeks so I could afford to act the 30 hours a week.

And, unfortunately, I believed my doctor when he told me I would never have the energy to act again.

Five years ago, I changed my diet, I added exercise (I can't do cardio, so I started weight training, which really increased my energy level.) I also found a very supportive spouse. I temp in law firms for income, and when I rehearse for a show, I cut back my hours - sometimes to zero, so I can handle the rehearsal. Sometimes I'm lucky - especially during the summer - when I earn enough acting so I don't need to do anything else.

I still can't do shows such as musicals or madcap farces where I need to run for two hours - the rehearsals KILL me and it starts a bad cycle.

Thanks for asking, Lena!

Bill (aka, Callum)

2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I am glad to hear you can still do some acting! I am sure it is a passion, and having to let go of a passion is difficult.
    As for myself- I was a musician (base guitar) and got such a bad neuropathy I can't do it anymore. It was hard to let go, I still get fired up when I see a good group, I want to get up there and knock the base guitarist down and take over,,,LOL!

Good that you have a supportive spouse too, and have found a way to work around your DD!

It feels good to hear about a good outcome (as good as it can get) on this board!

Many blessings to you!
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm so sorry that you are unable to play your instrument - I can understand how the DD could make it near impossible to play an instrument with any regularity.

I don't know about you, but when I was unable to be the artist I had trained all my life to be, I didn't know how to respond to the question "What do you do?"

Americans are so geared to defining themselves by their occupation, you know? And if I wasn't an actor, what was I? I knew I didn't want to define myself by my illness.

Of course, the answer was simple, and I learned it from a saxaphone player who could no longer play due to damage from rheumatoid arthritis. She was, is, and always will be a musician, even if her body doesn't cooperate.

I TRULY believe that there will come a time when you can return to your bass guitar. And although, when that time comes, your fingers may be a bit rusty, you will have grown so much because of battling this disease and all the obstacles that come with it, your music will have a depth, a maturity, a wisdom it never had before.

To that day!!!

Callum
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

That might be true, although I think I can cope, I have other "talents" I never took the time to use! My children are little now, but as they grow older and I get some space to focus a bit, I will become an author (non-fiction).

The music experience have been of great value, I have become a critic of sorts, people ask for my opinion about their productions, it seems I got an ear to hear harmony and disharmony. Since I am a Swede, I will be bluntly honest about their prospect on the "market". LOL! Not appreciated by everyone, but the sincere musician will appreciate such critique to be able to move forward.

My keyboard is my new "instrument", but I have to write in Swedish, my English is still less than perfect!

I appreciate your response!
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

Not only do I find it a great outlet, but I have something to show for it at the end of the day. I must say that I admire you for writing English so fluently. I would never have supposed that you had arrived from Sweden so recently!

I have been so lucky to make many Swedish friends during my life time. We look forward to visiting the country soon and experience the beauty of both the landscape and the people firsthand.

As a side note: I live very close to the Andersonville neighborhood in Chicago, which still has many Swedish residents and stores, including the Swedish Bakery (YUM!) and Ann Sathers.

Take care!