Ant (I think) painful sting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SusanEU, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I got an awful sting this afternoon from a little bug, I think it was a little brown ant, on my foot.

I've lived in Ontario all my life and never had such a sting!! (I grew up on a farm).

It has been about 5 hours andd I still have an ice pack on my foot. I've never had a sting so painful, and I don't know what to do, or what it could be.

Sue in Ontario
  2. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Are you sure it was an ant? Maybe a bee. Is the stinger still in your foot? If so, you need to get it out of there.

I've made a paste of baking soda and water and packed it on. That takes the swelling down. It's going to hurt for a while.

Good luck,
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Yes, it was a brown ant - I smacked it!

I had the ice pack on for a while, then tried the baking soda paste and it helped a lot. Seems to be ok, now.

Thanks for the Advice
  4. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Maybe some benadryl or aspirin. Glad that didn't bite near mouth....can be dangerous if swelling near throat. No idea what bit you. Bill
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that Susan. Glad it seems to be doing better. Yes, benadryl or any other antihistamine would be good to take, esp if it gets worse.

The baking soda pase was a good idea too.

Hugs, Granni
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Well, today the bite has all but disappeared. After about 6 agonizing hours yesterday....strangest sting I ever had...

Sue in Ontario
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It was not a brown recluse spider. I wonder if Carla can post a pic of one for you. They look a little like a brown larger ant. If so you will need antibiotic.

I got zapped by something in my arm the other day (well a week ago. It went red and itched but lower down that same arm in my elbow I have this big welt now, consisting of many little raised dot bumps, it is hot and was very ithcy till today when hopefully it is calming down some. If it is not down more by Friday I am off to the docs. Keep an eye on that bite as the spider bites can turn extremely nasty and cause horrendous problems.

Love Annie