Anti-Viral Meds - Valtrex vs Famvir vs Acyclovir

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TwinMa, Nov 14, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Does anyone have an information on Valtrex vs Famvir vs Acyclovir for prescription anti-viral treatment? I'm specifically looking to treat EBV.

I do know Valtrex and Famvir are way more expensive than Acyclovir. Anyone know if they are worth it? Are they actually more effective? Side effects any different?

My insurance covers Acyclovir only, so I'm hoping the Acyclovir will be good enough to at least start knocking down the viral load. Then I'd like to hit it with some of the herbal anti-virals to boost my immunity.

What do you think?

[This Message was Edited on 01/31/2007]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have not used Valtrex but I was on a long treatment with Famvir. My pharmacist said the Famvir was newer and more effective than Valtrex or Acyclovir.

Now that I do not have brand name Rx coverage, I switched to Acyclovir but I haven't taken it yet. I am finishing up my Famvir as I have a viral bug right now. I only take AV's when I am sick now. Instead, I pulse transfer factors.

I'm hoping that if I do need the Acyclovir, it will work well for me.

Love, Mikie
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for the reply Mikie! I'm really afraid to take the Acyclovir since I've never taken an anti-viral. But I guess, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

There seem to be so many transfer factors out there, how did you decide which ones to take? When you say "pulse", do you mean you take them for a time, then go off? Is it okay to take the transfer factors at the same time as the AV or should they be separate?

Thanks so much for your input!

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had facial surgery and had to take the Famvir as a preventative to keep any Herpes infection from infecting my eyes; I had eyelid surgery. I went into a complete, though temporary, remission. My doc and I then realized that I had reactivated Herpes-Family virus(es).

Most of the time, one takes the AV's for a period of time and then stops them for a bit and starts them again. If symptoms return when they are stopped, one has to start them again. Anything which kills pathogens usually works better if taken straight for a while initially and then pulsed. It keeps the pathogens confused.

Some docs have given our members AV's and transfer factors at the same time, but I think it is counterproductive. The TF's need time to train the immune system and if the AV's kill off any trace of the pathogen's transfer info, the immune system never has the chance to learn to identify and kill the pathogens. This is especially true for the TF's which target specific pathogens, IMHO.

The TF's are usually taken for three months and then only pulsed a couple of days every six weeks. This is how I take mine. I still Herx when I pulse them, but the Herxes are less and less severe. The TF's are really powerful and produce strong immune reactions in the beginning. It was a full month before I could even tolerate a full capsule.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  5. pastel

pastel New Member

Have taken all 3. Acyclovir several years ago when there
    wasn't another choice and it really helped me. 3 days into
    it I looked and felt better. It did not, I repeat did not
    cure me, but it was really helpful.

Last year I took famvir for the reasons Mikie gave and I
    found it improved me as well. However it was difficult for
    me to tolerate at first, probably or possibly because I had
    had a very bad relapse so was not starting from as strong
    a position (tho I was sick for sure when I took acyclovir).
    I "herxed" or felt like hell for 10 days but when that
    passed, my physical health picked up noticeably.

After several months I couldn't tolerate it anymore, who
    knows why, and switched to Valtrex. It was easier on me
    and seemed to maintain the gains I'd made.

I would take acyclovir again for sure given what it did
    for me first off. But my body may have altered (hah!) so
    it's a guess. I don't think there's any more risk to
    trying these antivirals than there is letting a virus
    run amock (sp?) in our bodies.

Love, Catherine
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Mikie & Pastel - You have both given me valuable information on the Anti-Virals. Thank you for your responses!

Mikie - Am I understanding it correctly that you think Anti-Virals should be taken first, then take Transfer Factors after? Any suggestions on time frame? How long to take the AV? How long to take the TF?

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Work better if pulsed, after an initial period of taking them all the time. It's trial and error to see how long one can go without the symptoms' returning. Six weeks on and two weeks off in the beginning is a good way to start.

The TF's elicit such a strong immune reaction because they are bugging the immune system to recognize them that I think it's good to reduce the pathogen load with antivirals first before going on the TF's. If one has had a chronic infection for a long time, hypercoagulation can also be a problem which should be addressed. The HEMEX Lab website has excellent info on how to get the tests done. My doc and I just had me do the Heparin empirically and it did help. He Heparin causes strong Herxing too.

TF's are taken for three months and then one pulses the for a couple of days every four to six weeks. Some here have felt so well on the TF's, after the initial immune response, that they just take them all the time. I still think they are better pulsed, especially once the body is in better control.

I believe it is counterproductive to take AV's and TF's at the same time. Also, taking probiotics, colostrum, and undenatured whey help build up the immune system so it can work on its own eventually.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

9. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

It's a tough call as we all seem to react differently based on our viral load. I tolerated Famvir well for over a year but herx like the devil on Valtrex.

best wishes,

Foxglove
  10. connieaag

connieaag New Member

My daughter has taken Acyclovir and Valtrex. One has to take a lot more Acyclovir throughout the day than Valtrex.

Didn't know if this was an issue. She had no trouble taking either one of them.

Connie
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I asked this question over a year ago! Since lisapetrison bumped it, I hope there's some useful info for her and others.

Fight, I like the peppers idea. Hmmm....I wonder if you can juice peppers? (I'm getting a juicer for Xmas) So glad you are doing better!

As a follow up to my original post of Nov 2005, I did take Acyclovir for about 3 1/2 months. I didn't have any apparent side effects. I also didn't see any obvious changes or benefits. So for me, taking Acyclovir seemed to have no effect. But, you never know, it may have done some good on a subtle level.

I never did take Famvir or Valtrex. My insurance wouldn't have covered them in any case.

I am still planning on taking Transfer Factors. I haven't tried them yet. Too chicken. But I will probably give them a go sometime after the holidays.
  12. ladude

ladude New Member

You said "hypercoagulation can also be a problem which should be addressed"

are you talking about the sed rate? Last check mine was 6.

Just bought a couple bottles of transfer factor essentials. Skeptical for a long time, now afraid to take them until I try some anti virals.

last check I had HH6, EBV and mold at a minimum.

Have gone to the TF board, so many types it gets confusing to know which to try first.

as always thanks for your input

LAdude (ex native Floridian)

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can learn more about the hypercoagulation at the HEMEX Lab website. A low sed rate can indicate a problem but it takes the ISAC panel to identify hypercoagulation caused by fibrin overgrowth.

I used the TF C and the TF 200. The 200 targets both strains of HHV-6. Judging by the immune response and the Herxing caused by the TF's, I believe they are much more effective than just the AV's. I had already been on Famvir for 1 1/2 years when I switched to the TF's. For the first month on the TF's, I could only sprinkle some powder from the capsules under my tongue until I could tolerate a whole capsule.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  14. adamfr

adamfr Member