Antibiotics overprescribed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by j9miller, Jan 6, 2003.

1. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I want to share with all of you how important it is to be informed. Too many people are being prescribed antibiotics for illness' that DO NOT NEED OR REQUIRE an antibiotic. Virus', colds, and "maybe I have this so give me one" are not cured with antibiotics.There are illness' that require antibiotics and then and only then should they be taken ... and when you are prescribed antibiotics for the right reason PLEASE finish the prescription. Our world is suffering with a rash of antibiotic resistant infections that can no longer be cured because too many people have taken antibiotics when they DID NOT NEED them and too many people do not finish the antibiotics prescribed to them when they did NEED them.

I share this because on Thursday I lost a dear Aunt, my dear friend to a staph infection she aquired in the hospital after routine back surgery. She had the surgery in July and died less than 6 months later. The staph devoured her and NOTHING could cure it, stop it or even slow it down. It was in her blood, bones and the hardware they had put in her back. I watched her go from a vibrant, happy, beautiful woman to a shell of a person. Although she was 76 years old she was in good health before all of this. (other than the normal aging stuff)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, be an advocate. Lets not let ignorance keep killing. If you think an antibiotic is needed, make sure it really is BEFORE you take it. And if you do need an atibiotic, finish it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Janine
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your aunt. You sound so heartbroken, and I can relate to that. My brother is gone because of medical ignorance too with the wrong meds.

I appreciate your warning, and hope others heed it too. As for myself, I don't trust the medical profession no further that I can throw them, and having fibro, thats not far.

I have not taking an antibiotic in over twenty years now. I try everything natural if at all possible.

I am so very sorry about your aunt, God bless hon.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. clueless

clueless New Member

This post brought home the loss of my brother to a staff infection He had a knee replacement and the replacement knee was too large and had to be removed and in the process he contracted a staff infection. They put in another knee which would never bend and the staff infection never really cleared up no matter how many antibiotics he took.He was prone to leg ulcers and the staff infection centered in there , then into a sore on his elbow from another ulcer caused from hospital sheets and not being properly dressed. His body was full of staff infection and we lost him. I believe and have seen the doctors and nurses not washing their hands going from patient to patient , the cleanliness of our hospitals leaves a lot to be desired and scares anyone to think they have to have surgery.
  4. Eilie

Eilie New Member

I couldn't agree with you more, Janine. Over prescription of antibiotics is a real danger.

In addition to their being overprescribed, they are commonly used to treat chicken and beef. That practice started once chicken and beef began to be "warehoused" in close quarters where infections were more likely to occur and the animals more likely to pick up the infections. The result is our being exposed to far too many antibiotics. Some (but hardly enough) chicken and beef suppliers have agreed, with public pressure, to stop automatically feeding their animals antibiotics.

I offer my heartfelt condolences for your loss. It's bad enough to have someone you love die but when they die because of something that could have been prevented the loss is horribly exacerbated.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Eilie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/07/2003]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To hear about your aunt. Overuse of antibiotics for years has led to resisant strains of bacteria. It's not just the ignorance and carelessness of doctors who prescribe antibiotics for viruses against which antibiotics are useless, but it's also the addition of antibiotics to plants and animals in the food chain. We pee out so many antibiotics, which are not cleaned out of the water during water treatment at water treatment facilities, that our water is full of antibiotics as well.

Russia has been leading the pack with the use of phages instead of antibiotics, and we are finally sitting up and taking notice. Hopefully, patient and doctor education, along with more prudent use of antibiotics, will help with this problem.

I may be on antibiotics for the rest of my life and will most likely at least be on them for a long time due to a chronic mycoplasma infection. I don't like it, but the alternative is not acceptable.

Thanks for this valuable info and again, my condolences.

Love, Mikie