Anticonvulsant Medication

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Letti, May 18, 2003.

1. Letti

Letti New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to the board and for what I've been hearing (reading) from all of you, I wish I found this site years ago. I've had FMS for 13 yrs. now.
    My question is, has anyone's Doctor tried them on anticonvulsant medications? My Doctor want's me to start taking some stuff called Zonegran. I hear it's a new thing that Doctor's are trying with FMS patients. It is to help with pain and sleeping.
    I also take Synthroid (for thyroid) MS Contin, Paxil, Temazepam, (when needed, Imitrex and Ibuprofen). I can honestly say this scares me.
    Thank you........Letti
  2. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I take Klonopin which is really an anti-convulsant but it acts as a sleeping pill for me. I take 1mg. nightly and it helps. I don't know what your anti-convulsant pill is. Klonopin is in the class of the benzodiazepines. (Valium, Xanax, etc.) I also have low thyroid, and take Armour Thyroid. It is actual DRIED PIG THYROIDS I heard...oh, gaggggg me. Anyway, with your other meds, if you feel scared or concerned about them, taking all at once, call your doctor! Otherwise, I suggest you talk to your pharmacist. He/she will know whether your meds conflict or not. Welcome again... I am new to the boards also. :)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which is an anticonvulsant/antiseizure med. It has been a God send to help me sleep, stop my anxiety, and decrease my tinnitus and sensory overload. It helps protect the brain for neuron death from overfiring. There's an excellent article in our library on Klonopin written by Dr. Paul Cheney. It does a good job of explaining why these meds help us.

Love, Mikie