Antidepressant for mood swing during menstral cycle

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by marze, Jan 3, 2009.

1. marze

marze New Member

I am not sure if i am in the borad but here goes my story. I was just at the drs this week as my menstral cycle has been out of wack for a while but all the tests came back fine. My dr who is a man wants to put me on a low dose antidepressant and napraxin which is a high dose antimflamitory which i do not see working to fix my cramps and my moodiness during my period. I am not sure about going on an antidepressant at the age of 36 i did ask about being put on birth control and his answer was well i am not sure it will work some have success and some dont. Any one have any thoughts?
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

You didn't mention if the doctor you saw was an ob/gyn. Napraxin is basically over the counter Aleve that helps to reduce inflammation and to help with pain and I take that with my prescription migraine medication to fight migraines. Unless your doctor has you taking a dosage above the regular over the counter dose of Napraxin, then it isn't a high dose.

I personally want a doctor who will discuss fully what ailment I have or what ailment they suspect I have. I want to know what they expect the medication to accomplish and by what date and when I should return for a followup. You can always get another opinion.

The Doctors TV show has a OB/GYN on it. The OB/GYN on that show discussed a a more severe PMS type disorder called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) that may very well be what you are experiencing. By the way, if you have PMDD, sometimes birth control is used to completely stop the periods as a initial start to try to handle it because you elminate the periods and you elimnate the periods and the accompanying PMDD/PMS symptoms. Below is an short article about it to try to give you some info. Anyway, good luck and I hope you can find some relief somehow.

WHAT IS PREMENSTRUAL DYSPHORIC DISORDER (PMDD)?

There is evidence that a brain chemical called serotonin plays a role in a severe form of PMS, called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). The main symptoms, which can be disabling, include:

* feelings of sadness or despair, or possibly suicidal thoughts
    * feelings of tension or anxiety
    * panic attacks
    * mood swings, crying
    * lasting irritability or anger that affects other people
    * disinterest in daily activities and relationships
    * trouble thinking or focusing
    * tiredness or low energy
    * food cravings or binge eating
    * having trouble sleeping
    * feeling out of control
    * physical symptoms, such as bloating, breast tenderness, headaches, and joint or muscle pain

You must have five or more of these symptoms to be diagnosed with PMDD. Symptoms occur during the week before your period and go away after bleeding starts.

FROM: http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/premenstrual-syndrome.cfm#f

[This Message was Edited on 01/04/2009]
  3. marze

marze New Member

I got these results from my general dr's pa. I think it might be time to go get a second opinon with an obgyn as I feel they are a bit more experienced in this area. Also i can not take aleve as it makes me sick. So before i start on anything i want to get a second opinion. Thanks for your advice. From the list above i think i suffer from pmdd
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Tell all your doctors AND PHARMACIST to include as an allergy in your records NAPROXEN, because it makes you sick, as Naproxen is the generic of Aleve.

I am lactose intolerant and I had the doctors and pharmacists include that in the allergy section of their records because a small quantity of meds apparently do contain lactose as an ingredient. Also, the new migraine med Treximet contains Naproxen, so that is at least one prescription that I know that contains Naproxen as an ingredient--so get that in the records as an allergy. Good luck.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's not uncommon to be prescribed Naproxen- which is like Aleve, Motrin etc. Very common to take for cramping. I can't take because I'm allergic, but I have friends who have awful PMS, PMDD who take it.
    If you don't want to take an AD, then you don't have to. I don't think age has anything to do with it though. Also- not uncommon when women deal with the worse than usual "pre period" stuff (PMDD) as they can help some people.

Of course, it's always your choice as it's your body! Do what feels right for you.

Some women's periods are way worse than just having a little 'moodiness' - it can be quite severe.