Antidepressant Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spoonerpaws, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I am curious as to how many of you have NOT tried antidepressants for relief and your current health status
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I am curious as to how many of you have NOT tried antidepressants for relief and your current health status
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I do not take antidepressants.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I took them years ago and all they did was drag me down or make me feel weird..........never again!

1Writer
  5. Breel

Breel New Member

Hi , I am taking an antidepressant med called Lexapro once a day. It is all about my panic disorder that I suffered with for many many years. I was taking Zanax, very low dosage, for the panic disorder. I started taking zanax in 1994 before that I was on Centrax from 1982 to 1986. I actually went off of those meds from 1986 to 1994. Fibro flareups are sometimes caused by stress and things that make us have the wrong stress, so I am taking the antidepressant med to help me get off the panic disorder med. I have only taken one zanax since I started on the Lexapro. Are you taking those kinds of meds or just interested if any fibro sufferers take them? Hope this helps. Breel
  6. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

at the start of all this i took them but they did not help . it felt like i was under some dark cloud . when i got off of them . still had the pain .but the dark cloud was gone .Also the doc who put me on them was no help to get me off of it was just my problem to deal with .i started at 5mgs amitriptyline and was up to 1oo mgs with in ayear . yes we left that docter . had to get the rheumy doc to tell me how to get off off them .sorry to go on and on but never agian
  7. phenom

phenom New Member

i was first diagnosed with depression and PTSD and was on a very high dose of anti-d's. i have recently gone cold turkey and stopped taking them because i felt the same way whether i was on them or not and i figure the fewer drugs in my system the better. thats my two cents...

phenom
  8. Carina

Carina New Member

I am not sure why you are asking about this question. I am bi-polar and taking an antidepressant makes a lot of difference for me. Since this disorder can be fatal if the depression issues are not adressed, I reccomend taking an anti depressant if the doctor believes you should. As for non bipolars, I have no opinion on the subject.
  9. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

I take Amitriptylin 25mgs at nite...I just started taking this as of last weeek fro.. doc said it would help me to sleep...which according to him is the problem...he does say that i have FM but I hurt beacuse when I do sleep (which isnt much) my muscles do not get a chance to rest.. hence the pain.. he had me taaking Tylenol Pm at night tillI told him that it was not working...so now I am on the antidrepressant... but I am not depressed.. I really do not feel any different.. other than I am more tired inthe AM than I was before the pain is still there I also take Clebrex 200mg once a day in the AM. aand Tylenol as needed...as when you are on clebrex you cant take things like aleve or Advil.. only tylenol.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At first, the doc (PCP) put me on Elavil (amitriptyline) which only made me sleepy but did nothing for my quality of sleep. It caused me to gain 20 pounds almost overnight. Then, my rheumy put me on Flexeril, a muscle relaxant in the same family of drugs as the Elavil, and it also made me sleepy, didn't increase the quality of my sleep, and put an additional 20 pounds on me.

I do not believe antidepressants are indicated for FMS alone. Having another disorder is a different thing altogether. Antidepressants are heavy-duty medications, especially the SSRI's. That said, there are some who have said here that low doses of antidepressants do help with the pain.

I take Klonopin, which is an antiseizure medication and is also a heavy-duty medication. It does help me to get quality sleep, it has done away with my anxiety, and it has greatly decreased my sensory overload. Another benefit is that it has also greatly decreased my tinnitus. For those with RLS, it can be a God send.

Overall, I am doing well and have lost 23 of the 40 pounds which the Elavil and Flexeril initially put on.

Love, Mikie