Antidepressant Questions, WellButrin, Effexor, etc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Sep 11, 2008.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I have already posted this post on the depression board...but it gets so few visitors realtive to this one and I got so few responses I felt I have no choice to to post this on this board.

I think it is okay because such a high percenatge of people on this board take these anyway.

Need AntiDepressant Answers 09/10/08 08:02 PM

I've tried Vitamin D and B vitamins..can't afford all the other natural supplements...and I have not been able to effect my depression. I also get so sick now when I take almost any pill, incuding vitamins and antibiotics etc. My whole system is so over-sensitized.

So, I am back to having to make the scary and challenging decision of taking anti-depressants again.
    What is always daunting to me is that you have to give so much time with each one to try these. Then to wean off of them too. After several it takes months. And trying to do anything especially work is made even harder and worse and more stressful when these don't work out or give you worse side effects.

The first time I ever took one I was 54 years I'm 56. I took lexipro for 4 to 5 months. 10 MG's. This made me feel weird and off balance and heavy and pulsating in the head in the beginning and this never really left.

I also gained 40 pounds in 3 months and lost my sex drive and couldn't sleep. My complete body pain never got better. The only thing I noticed was some reduction in anxiety.

I finally decided to get off of this and let me tell you, I just stopped and it wasn't one week and I was so depressed ( suicide was not far off ) that it was one of the scariest things.

I immediately went back on to 5 mgs and took several more weeks worth and spaced out the days to get off of it.

Months later I took cymbalta and I got so sick I raced to a doctor ( really wanted to go to an ER ) and he got mad and thought I was exaggerating. I thought I would die that day and following night. Egad...that was the sickest feeling... this slowly passed the next day or so.

Felt horrible however, for several days after...but thanks - no cymbalta for me. I have read of others getting super sick on this stuff too.

So, now another year later and I am still deeply deeply depressed...and sore and sick all over and feel like I have a constant body flu with chills and weakness and many other odd and exhausting symptoms, head aches, off balance, hot skin, muscle cramps, incredibly sore and weak joints and tendons ( diagnosed with tendonitis and torn rotator cuff which started with Levaquin prescription) popping ears, etc etc.

I went to a psyche ward meeting today for out-patient healing patients. It was the first one I have ever been to. I asked if anyone could recommend any other AD's...but this was an advanced healing group and they could see I needed to start back at the begining. I never did get any recommendations.

I know the names of so many of these AD's. I really don't want to gain anymore weight as I am still 50 pounds over my healthy weight. I really don't want to lose my sex drive again and I don't want to take something that is going to make me feel like you know what when I get off of it.

I heard that Wellbutrin is a milder AD and you don't gain weight or lose your sex drive. But, this increases dopamine and not seratonin? For me...what do you think? Would the dopamine be better than the seratonin?

Oh man, all the others, zoloft, effexor, many to think about. Is Zoloft good or hard to get off of if I choose to do so? Also, Which is the best for tendonitis? I tried Lyrica...sadly another drug that made me sick. No more of that. Somne people saying this new effexor with some number next to it makes them feel good.

I will take all the feedback you can send me. I am having your reponses e-mailed back to me.

Thank you all. JB in Calif.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

made me have "manic like behaviors". Pretty serious ones. I had taken it in 1994, had forgotten about being on it as I thought I had been on effexor, and the exact same thing happened ten years later.

Scary as I do not know who that person was who acted like that.

I can not take SSMRIs but do fine on SSRIs. I am now on Zoloft which also helps with anxiety and Lamectal which helps the AD work and is also used for bipolar. No side effects with either.

The lamactil also had calming effects.

I have no choice but to take ADs. It does not run in my family, it gallops, LOL.

This is my experience.

AS ever, edited due to brain fog!!![This Message was Edited on 09/11/2008]
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Have you tried long chain fatty acids: Omega 3 and maybe 6? Ask your doctor what he/she thinks about this as a strategy.

I know people who have had good results when they did not with ADs. And, I know others who have used Omegas to wean off ADs.

I can personally recommend Udo's Choice plant based oils.

Best of luck to you Joe,
  4. landra

landra New Member

You've put a lot of different things in your post. And some of them are confusing.

You ask about Zoloft and then ask which one (I assume AD) is good for tendonitis. Anti-depressants are not for tendonitis. Then you mention Lyrica which is not an anti-depressant.

You mention that the healing group "noticed I need to start back at the beginning." I agree.

Please sit down with your doctor, or a psychiatrist, and discuss the options. We do not know what other conditions you have, what other medications you are on, etc. And even if we did, you are asking for medical advice which is reqally beyond the scope of the board.

Regarding side-effects, sometimes you have to decide what cost you are willing to pay. Unfortunately, most drugs have side-effects.

Good luck with all this.
  5. ellikers

ellikers New Member

There are lots of ADs out there, like you well know, and to find the best one that works with you body chemistry and symptoms, you really need to speak with a psychiatrist.

You are asking very specific questions, and they are good questions, it's just that we can only give you what worked for us specifically (and what I felt horrible on, someone else felt great on, etc).

I'd really suggest finding a psychiatrist (specifically that, not a therapist or MD, psychiatrists are specially trained to prescribe psychotropic medications).
  6. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

made me turn into another person!!! and not a good one!!
    made me angry for no reason my poor husband had to put up with alot before we knew what it was it also made me want to commit suecide. i will never take that again.

i said i didn't want to take any at all but i had to and i am now taking zoloft. it hs saved me!! don't want to do without zoloft!!!!!!!!!

all meds effect everyone differant and you and your dr. should do it togethor.

good luck

God bless

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What kind of fish oil(Omega 3 and 6) do you take. I used to take the prescription grade which is suppose to have fewer toxins but it is so expensive.

Oops, saw the brand. I meant where do you get them? Time to go to bed.

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2008]
  8. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Hi Gapsych, I used flaxseed oil (for omega 3s) and the type I found was cheaper than the fishoil (I think, it's been awhile since I took it). Plus, it doesn't make you burp all fishy! I'll check the brand later when I'm near my fridge.

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks. I will look into this. Is this an oil or the seeds?

10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Gosh, I'm sorry you've gone through such hell trying to find something to help you.

Unfortunately as many people respond, you will get as many different responses to what has worked for them. (for us)

For example, I couldn't take Wellbutrin at all - made me incredibly depressed. Same with Cymbalta. I remember I was on it around the time Merv Griffin died and I was actually thinking how I would see him soon. - really weird thinking.
    I bawled for days about his death. It's not like I was close to him or anything. I was greatly disappointed that Cymbalta was no longer an option for me. I was very hopeful.

Zoloft didn't do much for me- I mean after a year or so I guess I didn't notice much. I take Lexapro now. I'm terrible because I have stopped on my own before, started again etc. I've never had any problems with withdrawal. See we're all so different in how we respond.

I would definitely talk to your doctor. Weigh the pros/cons of each med. Many you will know within the first couple of weeks if they are helping or not.

FYI- my doc thought Celexa might be a good choice. It's in the same family as something else we are all "offered" here (Elavil? Effexor?) I could be wrong on that, my memory is shot. I agree with the poster who questioned what you meant about what is best for tendonitis? I don't think any AD is going to help with that.

No reason to continue to suffer. Keep searching until you find something that works for YOU. Unfortunately what works for us is no guarantee that you'll have the same results. Yes it may take some time, but it's better than suffering needlessly.

Maybe someone else can address the dopamine vs. seratonin thing- don't we want dopamine? It seems like I remember reading something about that. =)

Hang in there JB

11. hensue

hensue New Member

It saved my life. I went to emory clinic in Atlanta.
    A neurologist confirmed fibromyalgia 10 or 11 years ago.
    it helps mask my pain. Also helps with energy.
    It is a hard drug to get on. The side affects of headache anxiety and other things do go away. I had to use valuim for about 3 months along with it. It literally saved my life. cant use the xl will keep you awake. i take mine at 8 or when i get up and not later than 2 in the afternoon.
    It is also used for add. I did lose all the weight except about 10 lbs that had gained with zoloft.
    The only wellbutrin that works well is the sr. It doesnt hit you all at once.
    It is very easy to get off of. Nothing like cymblta, zoloft
    other things goes out of your system really fast.
    It is weird drug. It hits the dopamine receptor. I can tell around 5 or 6 pm my body can if i have missed a dose.
    You have to have something for anxiety i think when start taking this drug. I could not beleive how well it helped my everday pain.
    That is just my story.
  12. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I posted about Well. on the depr board. Not for me either.

The best luck I've had is w Prozac, fewest side effects. I also have found I have to take smaller doses of ADs than most people. I get very drowsy and drugged feeling from many meds, I'm already tired enough.

I am currently taking a cocktail of Prozac, Effexor XR, and Depakote. They are all low dosages. Many times combos of ADs and mood stabilizers work well for people.

Like others said, we all react differently to these meds. A wonder drug for one person can be the worst nightmare for another. But when you find something that works, it's a lifesaver. Good luck.

Hey, I just saw you have shoulder problems. I had surgery a month ago for rotator cuff tendonitis (it was frayed, not torn) and bursitis. It's still sore, but much better than before the surgery. Do you ice yours? My surgeon says that's the best thing to do along with taking NSAIDS to reduce inflammation. I need to ice mine today, I didn't do it yesterday and I can sure tell, Ow.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/12/2008]
  13. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Made emergency appointment.

Things are bad for me.

Thank you all for your input. Even though it is hard to figure how everyone seems to have different reactions...your honest sharings give me hope.

I know a little more about all the AD's and other supplements because of this. Thanks, JB
  14. dirtchick

dirtchick New Member

Good Luck!
    It all gets very confusing.

Take care,
  15. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Take care Joe! Best of luck finding a route that works best for you!!

Gapsych: I used the flaxseed oil ... kept it in fridge and would mix it in with applesauce and eat it. Still haven't found the brand ... hee hee. I will work on that.
  16. Melbelle

Melbelle New Member

Hi Joe---I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain.
    Going to a psycho pharmacologist with a personal knowledge of Fibromyalgia is
    what helped me the most. I don't know where you live in California, but if you are near Los Angeles, I can definitely recommend the Dr. who has helped me
    as well as a wonderful medical/holistic Dr I also work with.

Good luck!
    My prayers go out to you.

17. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Barleans is the brand of the flaxseed oil I used before.

I hope your appt/visit goes well. :)