? antidepressant that doesn't cause any gastric upset

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dolsgirl, May 29, 2003.

1. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

My sister is again in the hospital. She's been through alot. At this point they feel she should go on Effexor for her depression. She knows that this caused her gastric upset in the past so she doesn't want it. She re-hospitalized this time because of nausea and vomiting. She had her surgery last week to re-attach her colon and close her ostomy.

Any suggestions for something that won't upset her stomach and/or colon? She only has her small colon left. Her entire large colon was removed in February.

Thanks for any help. dolsgirl
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

help...bump
  3. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I really needed ideas right away to give to my sis for her dr visit in the hospital tomorrow. With the colon surgery and all her nausea she won't take anything that will upset her further. Thanks so much. dolsgirl
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I think Effexor XR is a good choice - it's a once a day capsule and there seems to be fewer side-effects with this form. I take this and I was worried about the gastric and other side effects, too. The first two days were awful. So, I took it upon myself to take Benadryl with it, to lessen the side effects. Apart from the fact that it is an antihistamine, it also acts as an anti-irritant. I only needed to do this through the first two weeks or so along with my starter pack, but everyone is different in their needs.

I was instructed to take my Effexor in the morning and so I took two plain pink Benadryl at the same time. It does make you drowsy, but I would plan to take a nap. I feel the Benadryl really helped with the side-effects. Some people take their Effexor at night and in this the Benadryl will help with sleep, as one of the effects can be insomnia.

Hope this helps,
    Lane
  7. ifuwouldjust

ifuwouldjust New Member

I take Celexa, its about the only one that does not upset my stomach. Just fyi, when I took Effexor, I was up 3 to 4 times a night because I had to urinate. Odd side effect.

Ciao