Antidepressants and insomnia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TexRoy, Jun 8, 2003.

1. TexRoy

TexRoy New Member

I have has CFIDS for five years now. I think I have tried about every antideprssant that exists with the hopes that I would get an added boost of energy from them. My problem is that every thing I try causes me to have severe insomnia. My latest trial was with Lexapro. It seems like whatever goes up must come down. I have tried Ambien and Klonopin for the insomnia, but the antidepressants seem to override and stay in my system for a long time and can lead to a relapse. Has anyone tried combining the SSRI antideprssants with a tricylics. I am not sure how safe this may be. Anyone that has information that might help and I can share with my doctor would be helpful. I have also tried Neurontin to no avail.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Tex, welcome to the board. I just stopped to welcome you, and I sure hope someone can help with your problem.

I have FM, not CFS. But we have many members here with CFS.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Are you taking anything for pain like Ultram because that was the thing I finally discovered was keeping me awake at night no matter what other meds I took for sleep. I hope you will find the answer soon. sooooo frustrating I know.
  4. givebliss

givebliss New Member

Hi Texroy! I was having the same problem. Finally, what seems to work for me is taking Effexor IN THE MORNING, which helps the daytime fatigue somewhat, and then before bed taking "Herbal Sleep Well" which is a product I buy here in Toronto. If you search the posts under that phrase, you'll see my email where I list the ingredients so that you might find something similar in your neck of the woods. It made a huge difference in my ability to stay asleep, and to get some quality of sleep. Good luck!

Bliss Out