Antidepressants, Going To Have to Try

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 29, 2012.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have fought this depression long enough so thinking of trying an antidepressant.. Have tried them in the past but seems I didn't give them long enough due to side effects..

Those of you that take them would like your input.. what you take and do they help..

I remember zoloft had the least side effects I yawned a lot and felt strange on a small dose so thinking of trying again..

I will discuss this with my doctor but would like some input.. I do take xanax but seems they take care of the anxiety but the horrible crying days have got to stop...

2. Allen

Allen Member

Assume you have considered Cymbalta
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been trying to talk the doctor into taking my thyroid seriously even though all the test are normal.. Cortisol a different story my levels are the same in the morning as evening..they won't even treat that or ck futher to see why.. Say its all stress...oh so sick of that.. I do take the vit d3 and grapeseed extract. Also tested postive for lyme so went the antibioitc route , well that like to have killed me.. Oh what is the answer? I feel I am having to be my own doctor..

Tks... I don't want to take but don't want to cry all the time..
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes have considered Cymbalta will see what the doc says.. I am so med sensitive.. tks
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

How I wish I could get a doc to at least try me on thyroid meds.. but they won't budge.. Even saw an Endgo.. So glad you found one.. I was seeing a D.O. but he no longer takes medicare I think I could twist his arm..
  6. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I take 200 mg of Trazadone at night to help me sleep; it is a very mild antidepressant. I also take 1 Cymbalta (60 mg) that seems to help with energy. I am feeling that 60 mg is too high for me and am working with doc on scaling back on it. Also in the winter, I get such bad Seasonal Affective Disorder, I take Abilify. It really did the trick this year.
    I know it sounds like a lot, but I really need to be able to function at my job. It took a few tries, but feel I found a good combo of meds. I take quite a few vitamin supplements and found B Complex work really well for depression. Good luck & keep us posted!
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

I tried Trazadone for sleep, well I was up most of the night on 1/2 the dose finally took a xanax to sleep.. but man did I have energy the next day. So next night took the full dose, think it was 25 mg and was up till 5 am took a xanax and got a few hrs sleep.. but again I had energy..I probably would be on it because of the energy and think it did help some with depression but I started getting such dizzy spells..

Tks for your input... I too take supplements but seems they aren't helping as far as depression goes..
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I have had the TSh, T4 and T3 also the antibodies whatever that is.. All normal..except one time years back seems my T3 was a off.. that is when I was seeing the D.O. and he mentioned maybe trying me on med even though nothing was out of range ... I have used all my money seeing doctors that do not accept ins. , especially the lyme doctor took what little I had .

TKs.. going to the doc next month and will disuss this with her, she is a PA and I like much better than the doctor she will at least listen...
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

I hear you... lol... Why do doctors ignore you when you try to relay this to them or give you that look , who is the doc you or me??

I live in a small town and our doctors , well won't say anymore..

So happy you found one..
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

I take 1/4 mg three times a day and 1/2 mg at bedtime to sleep.. I have agorphobia / anxiety etc.. been on xanax for years for me it has been a great drug..I can't take valimun or ativan as they do cause some depression..

The psych. I was seeing long ago but me on xanax for the anxiety etc he told me that xanax didn't cause depression and helped some with it but had to be taken in larger doses.. I do not want to increase my dose .. I no longer see the psych, he was great but now doesn't accept my ins...medicare...haven't seen him in 10 yrs..

Not sure if it could be the meds or not... wish there was a simple answer as I have not wanted to try ADs for many years...

11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi greatgran - you might consider taking 5-htp or l-tryptophan, but 5-htp is cheaper. It helps the brain produce serotonin and does not have the side effects of prescription ADs. It also can help with sleep. But don't take 5-htp together with an AD as it can cause serotonin syndrome, too much serotonin, which can be dangerous.

Sorry you're having such a rough time with your small town docs! I live in a larger town, but it's like a small town in that there is no doctor here who knows anything about CFS. I have to drive around 80 miles to see my cfs doctors and feel grateful they're not further away, though the drive wipes me out.

It's interesting you had a rough time with antibiotics for lyme - that would seem to indicate that they were working, killing pathogens. I wish our insurance would cover things like this!

Take care

12. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I too have normal labs for thyroid levels but my doctor looks at what my body is telling him. Seeing I have very slow reflexes, dry skin, weight gain, puffiness, more foggy thinking, moodiness etc. she tried me on a higher dose and the effect was that in 3 days I started feeling much, much better. I travel 11 hours to see this doctor. I'd rather travel that far than waste my time on a bunch on endocrinologists in my area who go by the book instead of by the person in front of them. This doctor spends at least an hour with you so she knows you well. Most doctor breeze in and out in 10 minutes. I don't know how any doctor could look at a person's situation in that amount of time. All they have is test results to go by and you are just patient #1, 2, 3, or 10 in their day. It's sad.

I agree on trying 5HTP but also a very good thing to try for feeling depressed is SAMe. That stuff really does work! It gives you yourself back.

Also Fish Oil helps depression but you need to take high doses. Try about 1200-1600 a day. It also has the added benefit of helping the rest of your body in so many ways.

I have taken Cymbalta, Zoloft and Effexor in the past. All worked well for me though the Cymbalta was for pain in my case.

All the best
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Yes, he increased my armour from 120 to 150 mg. I haven't noticed any difference. I don't think it will do anything for my crashing.

The fish oil is great - it's good for inflammation and good for mental health as well. Studies have confirmed that people low in omega 3s will tend to be depressed, but too many docs will just give an antidepressant instead of checking for low omega 3s.

And yes, if low thyroid is a problem, it definitely will affect mood. It's too bad we have to fight so much to get what we need!

14. greatgran

greatgran Member

The past couple of days haven't been bad.. I actually went out yesterday with the greatgran daughters... only for a short time .. I increased my fish oil and vit d3 not sure that had anything to do with it but going to keep taking. My depression is so bad is when I am crashing/flaring or whatever it is.. Its like the end of the world then after a week in bed and rest it subsides only to return when I crash again..

I am still going to discuss the thyroid with my doc but she will probably say its the lyme.. Just going to enjoy the few good days cause I know they won't last.. Been there done that(thinking they will last) for 12 yrs...

God Bless
  15. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

What are your blood test thyroid readings ? TSH, T4, T3.
    Have you tested positive for lyme ?