Antidepressants Help With The Immune System

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 4, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have CFIDS and Chronic sinusitis along with ear problems, off balance, vertigo etc. Have been on antibiotics doesn't seem to help except for short term.

I am really miserable and the doc wants me to try zoloft (as I have posted on this) said it helped support the immune system, has anyone heard of this.

I do suffer with anxiety/depression but so scared to take meds.

2. star273

star273 New Member

Everytime I read one of your posts, I feel like I am reading about myself. Even when you reply to my posts, I cant beleive home much we are alike.
    I take Celexa and yes I have heard of that, and I do beleive it. I feel so much better when I do take my anti depressents. I dont have as much pain and therfore not as much stress. I think stress plays a big part in bringing down our immune system. If I were you, I would give it a try. It sure cant help. Maybe ask your Dr. about Celexa. I like it the most because it has the least side effects of all anti depressents. I have had several Dr's tell me that.
    Good luck.

Hugs :)
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Don't be scared to try an antidepressant, one of them might really help you. I hadn't heard about them helping the immune system, that's interesting. I've been on ADs for about 10 yrs.

If you do decide to take one, my advice would be to ask your doc to start you on a very small dose and slowly increase it. The times that I had the most trouble w side effects of ADs was when my dose was too high when I started. It took me awhile to realize this, so now I know that sometimes I need just a "baby" dose, not the usual adult dose.

They can help w pain, GI problems, headaches, sleep, and all kinds of things. You just have to be prepared to be patient because some of them take a month or so before they really start to work. Supposedly Prozac takes that long, but I've noticed an improvement w my depr after just 5 it builds up in your system, you get better results.

Also, different ADs have different half lives, so they stay in your system for varying amounts of time. Prozac (my personal favorite) stays w you for up to a month after you stop taking it . This is why it's important to wean off of them, never quit cold throws your brain chemistry into a tailspin.

ADs are a miracle for some people, thank goodness we have them available. Just know that you may not get the best results w the first one you try, I went thru several and always ended up back w Prozac. That's the hardest part, trying and waiting for it to work. Hang in there, and try to think positive:)

xxxooo Hermit
  4. DADI

DADI New Member

Antidepressant is a well known immune modulator.
    Do not hesitate to try it out...and stick on it,it takes 15 days to 3weeks to get full power.
    sides effect will desapeared after few weeks,it really worth trying.
  5. mindblower

mindblower New Member

Though this population often has minimal response to the antidepressants most commonly prescribed, it could be that in ME/CFS a dysfunctional sympathetic nervous system, which depends a lot on good neurotranmission, is the crux of what is driving all of its controversial symptoms. This includes the minor immune dysregulation often experienced in us and the consequent activation of some secondary/opportunistic infections often feared as causal.

But they may not be causal. Whether for genetic reasons and/or other things, poor neurotransmission in our brains can cause chronic overreaction to normal stimuli and drive up adrenaline demand and output in us, whether we're aware of it or not.

And there is evidence that maintained high adrenaline levels lower glutathione status, which is associated with lowered immunity, activation of infections, lowered blood volume(incl low blood pressure and hypoxia), hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and reduced detox capacity. This symptom list may go further.

But the point is trying treatments that improve neurotransmission or brain function is a logical path to explore with our doctors. Let us know how it goes.

6. roge

roge Member

believe the latest research from a few months ago was that AD's do indeed affect the immune system but they not sure if it weakens it or strenghtens it....maybe I am wrong but that is the research I clearly remember , but heh , maybe there is another study that shows it does modulate it or strengthen it....

7. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

I have heard recently something that I did not know. My FFC doctor told me that chronic sinusitis is caused by underlying yeast/candida/fungus. The fact that most of us have yeast issues and allergies makes us more mucousy...and then it causes the bacteria to build up and then you have a sinus infection. That made a lot of sense to me, but also when I started being treated for the candida, diflucan 200 mg a day for 3 months, my sinusitis went away. I did still have some allergy issues, my eyes and nose burn really badly, but my allergies normally send me right into sinus infection which keeps until I get bronchitis, and an ear infection, or an antiboitic. The last few years it was getting really difficult to get rid of the sinus infections, they weren't responding as quickly to the antiboitics as they used to, and I had the infections worse and a lot longer. My FFC doctor had some sinus spray compounded and it helps allergies, fights bacterial and fungal infections.
  8. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

Hi, I take Zoloft, 100mgs. a day, if I didn't I would sit home all day and cry a lot. I have anxiety and depression also, and also Fibromyalgia, plus I am going through peri-menopause, so I am a mess. So, the Zoloft does help me, however, I have never heard of it helping your immune system, I know it helps with pain. But, not a whole lot.

Take care!SB
  9. klcooper

klcooper New Member

When my husband was deployed, Dr put me on cymbalta. I didn't think I was depressed (looking back I was). It didn't help my mood but helped my myofacial (sp?) pain. I didn't know I had FM then but tried to stay on it so my back didn't hurt. It made me so feel so sick I couldn't stay on it. The dose was too high, started off on a lower dose and it makes a huge difference now in the pain and does help me think clearly at work. A huge difference w/o it. Don't worry, take what you need to help you! Best wishes!