Antidepressants How many take them for FIBRO?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 5, 2008.

1. If yes , what kind and amt. Do you think they help you have more of a LIFE. Not for depression but for Fibro. I know alot don't like to take them myself included but it gets to a point you get desperate for some help.
  2. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I take amitriptoline at night. My doc said my body doesn't relax enough. This is supposed to help. I think it does.I take 100 mgs at night.
  3. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

I take 150mg of Amitriptyline at night for sleep. Have been taking it for 13 years and I get a great sleep.
    It was the first time in my life I ever slept through the night.

As long as I sleep at night, I usually feel better in the day.
    If for some reason I don't have a good night, I am in much more pain during the day.
  4. bumping ...boy this board moves FAST!
  5. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

i have epilepsy so have to be careful as to what I take as seizuers mya increase

I get very anxious and disnt sleep well, it with all the other stuff, works well me thinks

17 tablets later??????

angel hugs

6. homesheba

homesheba New Member

take 60 mgs of cymbalta.
    since i have hep -c also
    we have to watch my liver alot...
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I used to take a few diff kinds- never really for depression, but for more low-level anxiety- all before I was diagnosed.
    I was on Lexapro when diagnosed. I hate to say I've gone off and on (I know it's not recommended). I now take everyday. I don't think it helps with my pain at all, but as I said, it does help with my anxiety, which I do attribute to Fibro, probably a little depression associated with it as well.
    10 mgs, went up to 20mgs, now split and am back at 10mgs.
  8. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

amitryptlyne 75mg at night to relax and paxil 40 mg am and sometimes in the afternoon i get anxiety attacks once in awhile.

wishing everyone a great day.
  9. Mom2Hayley

Mom2Hayley New Member

I take 120 mg of Cymbalta, 50 mgs of Pamelor, and 5 mg Abilify. cymbalta helps the burning and Pamelor helps me sleep and Abilify is a mood stabilizer/antidepressant.
  10. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

Have been on Prozac for over 20 years, just switched to Cymbalta about two weeks ago, start my 60mgs today.

Could not live without them as I have sever depression way before I got CFID and FM. I'd be dead without them literally.

11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

been on effexor for over a year - 75mg I was on 150 mg for a few months and then went back down with no problems. literally, my life went from dark to light, controlled my pain,my mood, my anxiety, twitches was like a miracle.

Now my doctor thinks I should try Cymbalta, because my insomnia is still bad. Been on it for a bout a week and I think the effexor is better. Will be taking the 30 supply that I have ($140!!!) and then re evaluating.

The beginning few weeks are difficult, but if you can get past that, it's worth it.

Good Luck

Sue in Ontario
  12. terrimaguire

terrimaguire New Member

I take Effexor XR, 150 mg/day. I take it for depression, and it has changed my life for the better, however, it does not help my fibromalgia.

13. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I take 75 mg of elavil every night and I feel like it helps some with sleep and making me more relaxed and not so frustrated about this dd.

I have pain and am tired every day but the past two days have been really awful~ I know I need to get more rest during the day and with the kids home in the summer that's easier said than done. :) sorry didn't mean to get off topic.
  14. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I take cymbalta 60mg. and elavil at night 50mg. The cymbalta seems to help the burn and i would not sleep without the elavil. Not sure if the elavil gives me the munchies though if i take it to early? I still get depressed but i know that is normal with what we deal with!
  15. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I was on Effexor (I don't thankfully suffer from depression, but told my primary I was depressed as it was easier than trying to explain FM) for a couple years - it seemed to help the pain.

Then my gastro doctor wanted to switch me to Cymbalta for upper gastro pain. So I did, and it's even better than Effexor for FM pain.
  16. luvmydoggy

luvmydoggy New Member

just started taking it to help me sleep as my doctor blames lack of restful sleep for my moodiness lately..i just think fibro can depress me at times even though i really try to not let it bring me down...I just am not the same person my husband married and want to be myself again
  17. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I take a very old, old anti depressant, Maprotiline. It does not upset my digestive tract/ulcer/ibs.

By helping so much with depression, I am better equipped to handle pain and every day life.
  18. jmq

jmq New Member

I have been taking Cymbalta now for almost 2 years...but I am desperately trying to stop it. I just do not think it is helping with the pain so much and I feel like I am taking toooooo much medications.

Unfortunately, I am having a really hard time with the withdrawls.

19. sadie101

sadie101 New Member

300mgs. morning and late afternoon. I was on 60 mgs of cymbalta and it did help my pain, but it made my personality very dry,like I didn't have an ounce of emotions, I also was extra fatigue. wellbutrin has giving me some energy back and has helped my fog, but I do have a lot more pain. take care