Antidepressants -- worthwhile or not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Goldenlight, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Hi everyone,

My question is about mild illness related depression not serious clinical depression...

I have not used antidepressants to date although do suffer with some depression as part of the CFS/FM. I have treated this illness mostly with alternative and complimentary methods. Now I'm looking at filing for disability. I spoke with an attorney this week who told me I must make an appointment with a psychiatrist to have those medical records to submit for my case. He said that I either need to be treated for depression with records saying so or else have a medical determination made that I am not depressed and so closing a loophole that social security could use against my case. So -- my question is if I end up being given an antidepressant are there some that seem to work better than others for this illness? And -- I also see in various threads that antidepressants have made them worse. Worse, how?

Thank you for your help. Best wishes for a good weekend.

Goldenlight
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2007]
  2. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I've tried other antidepressants in the past and they made me gain weight. I now take Wellbutrin XL and it helps with my depression and does not make me gain weight.

Too be honest, Prozac worked better for me but don't want to take the chance of gaining again. It works different for everyone though.

Good luck
  3. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I couldn't tolerate Antidepressants even at low doses. It gave me more malaise. In some cases of CFS it is not recommended.

The Pure Encapsultions Brand St. John's Wort (with hyperforin) worked best for me. I took it once a day at night for 4 months. It really made a difference in mood, although not anxiety.

It is not easily found except from a health practitioner. I found a good place online to order if from directly : specialgifts dot com.

CFS is not a psychiatric disease. You need to find a doctor that will treat it as an infectious and systemic disease.

Just my opinion.

CherylSue
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My AD has literally changed my life.

It helps with the pain, dizziness, twitching, fatigue, panic attacks and anxiety.

Have been on it for a year (first 2 weeks were rough), and gained only a little weight (under 10 lbs), but have virtually no other side effects.

I was so reluctant to take it and tried everything else under the sun. May not be for everyone, but it has been my miracle drug.

Good Luck.

Sue
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just part of who I am.

For the pain...I have not found that AD's do anything for the pain. They help me with depression and particularly anxiety.

Everyone finds their way in this area. Just my two cents.

Sue
  6. Goldenlight

Goldenlight New Member

Thank you everyone that has offered insight on this. I know we're all different but its good to hear that an antidepressant can possibly help with symptoms and that it won't (or hopefully won't) make me worse overall.

Goldenlight
  7. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I hate to go against the grain so to speak, but I have been taking anti-d's for 11 years and I really do not remember how I felt before then. I know that I was depressed and still am, to some degree.

The thing about these medicines is that when I try to stop taking them, I feel, panic, anxiety and maximum aggitation instead of just going back to my formerly depressed self. It's like I am going to go nuts when I try to quit them. I think that there are some others that have the same symptoms as I do when they try to stop.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Andy