Antidepressants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IlivetocantoronXena, Jun 11, 2006.

1. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I saw my therapist Friday. She told me my horse was better therapy for Myself than Her. LOL
    She asked me to think about Cymbalta , I take celexia 40 mg now for 3 years it was my saving grace. The celexia is working, why would she want to start me with this new med? I think if it isn't broke leave it alone!! I have done the whole gamit of theses types of drugs,paxil 40 mg for 5 years, zolft made me sick to my tummy,prozac did nothing. can You see why I am afraid to change. Please anyone with suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank-You,
    Michelle
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

then I would stay on it. Your therapist might be getting samples of Cymbalta from a rep and being encouraged to distribute them or get people to go on it. I have heard dr's get kickbacks from the drug co's to prescribe their drugs but I am not sure if this correct.

there is a lot of politics in medicine.

(((((hugs))))
    another Michelle
  3. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

You are fortunate to have found an antidepressant that works. Having been through innumerable trials of various antidepressants and combinations of other medications with antidepressants I know how difficult it can be to find what works. There is also a risk that Celexa may not work as well a second time around. Stick with what you know helps.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... of what shootingstar is saying.

I'd taken 2.5 mgs of Celexa for two years. (I'm a "cheap drunk".) I wasn't "well" but I was functioning. A new doc suggested that the 2.5 mgs wasn't doing anything so I tapered off over a month's time(too quickly). It was doing a lot more than the doctor or I thought and I had a very bad result. He told me to go back on it but when I tried it was less effective so I'm edging back off. I hope to be sane by September - I'm only slightly joking. I know we're all different in how we react to things, after all, you're able to take much more than I was, but don't take a chance.

Stay on the Celexa or go off over a period of many months. Doctors get new drugs and want to try them on their patients. They mean well but many docs don't realize how dependent we become to the ones we're on and how difficult it is for some of us to go off them.

Good luck!
    Marta
  5. azbubba

azbubba New Member

I switched from Celexa to Lexapro to Cymbalta. I switched from Celexa to Lexapro on advice of someone that knew drugs well, and the same from Lexapro to Cymbalta.

Now the technical stuff: Celexa and Lexapro are SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), and Cymbalta is also an SSRI with a NRI (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). According to some people that I have talked to that know the pharmacology of these drugs (AKA professionals), this combination has been especially effective in treating those of us with FM/CFS/other related illnesses.

However, all of that being said, I really understand your reluctance to try different anti-depressants. I have had no problems with any of the three above-named drugs, but Zoloft and Prozac will put my head in such a funk I have to go somewhere for several days and not deal with anything. But, depending on your other symptoms (fatigue, etc.) you may want to think about it.

DISCLOSURE: The poster is not employed, compensated, or otherwise influenced by any of the drug manufacturers or marketers. But, darn it, he should, so he could quit his 40 hour a week job.
  6. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I just wanted to thank you all for reading this post!!
    I to tried the Lexapro it is a sister drug to celexia, but the lexapro did not help me in any way. I think I will stay on the celexia for now. In the future I will think about the Cymbalta , should the celexia stops working. I just don't want to go back to the way I was 3 years ago. I have a little life now.

Hugs,
    Michelle
  7. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I have never tried Celexa, but I take just 30 mg of Cymbalta and it works so well for the pain of FM. I recommend it highly if you are ever ready to make a change.
    Hugs, Nanna