antidepressants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kha, Nov 8, 2002.

1. kha

kha New Member

What antidepressants have you found to work well with fibromyalgia? Has anyone tried Remeron, Lexapro, Serzone? I tried Lexapro for a week and had severe insomnia which made my muscles hurt and of course made me fatiqued. I can't do that one it looks like and I can't stand the side effects of the amitriptalyine, desempromine type either. Help
  2. kha

kha New Member

What antidepressants have you found to work well with fibromyalgia? Has anyone tried Remeron, Lexapro, Serzone? I tried Lexapro for a week and had severe insomnia which made my muscles hurt and of course made me fatiqued. I can't do that one it looks like and I can't stand the side effects of the amitriptalyine, desempromine type either. Help
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To the board. Can't help with antidepressants, but just stopped to welcome you.

You can go to the 'Home' page and get some additional information on different meds if you like, there are some great articles there by different doctors who treat FM/CFS.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Please go to the Library here and read Dr. Cheney's article on the long term effects of anti-depressants before making a decision. You deserve to know the other side of the story. You can also do a search of previous posts on SSRI drugs buy inserting the name of the drug or just "SSRI" into the "search previous posts" slot on the front page of the Message Board, so you can see what all of us have had to say about this. There is a lot of info here, as this subject comes up often. Docs get all their drug info from drug company salespeople, a situation that I feel is immoral and ought to be illegal.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think I told you about when my rheumy wanted me to start taking Ultram. When I asked him how it works in the body, he became irate because he didn't know and had to go try to find info the salesman left for him. All he could get from the salesman's material was the name of the active ingredient which he was totally unfamiliar with. He was asking me to put something in my body that he knew nothing about. Geez!

Love, Mikie
  6. pooky

pooky New Member

I was on Serzone for 7 months and was in a complete fog all the time with no reduction in pain. Three weeks ago I began 25 mg. of amitriptline at bedtime and 10 mg. Lexapro in the morning. I now sleep like a baby and am full of energy all day. This is the best I've felt in a LONG time. I am extremely nervous about being on these meds though after all I've read here! I'll stick with it for awhile though until I stumble on a "natural" solution. Right now being pain free outweighs the longterm risks. I've also noticed the trigger points have settled down---maybe because I'm more relaxed.

Hope my input helps!