Antihistamine ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Feb 6, 2009.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Anyone take Antihistamines for sleep? It seems to be the only drug that works for me without side effects.

2. 1jaguar

1jaguar New Member

I have to take cyperheperdine every night cause if I dont the next day I have these horrible dizzy spells. And mucus galore that likes to gather in my left ear canal which causes dizzy spells. And yes it does help me sleep and sometimes helps with the headaches.
    Hope this helps,
  3. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Yeah benadryl knocks me out when I need it. It works better than klonopin on me.. klonopin just makes me a space cadet.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

Benadryl and other antihistamines work backwards on me. At first I go to sleep, but that lasts two hours at the most, and then I'm wired for the rest of the night.
  5. hopabout

hopabout New Member

Hi Jane. I do. Well, kinda. A regular antihistamine wires me to the ceiling. I can not take them even a tiny pinch off one. BUT, my doc put me on Singulair. Here's some info on what I am now taking:

Singulair- Generic Name: montelukast Singulair is a leukotriene (loo-koe-TRY-een) inhibitor. Leukotrienes are chemicals your body releases when you breathe in an allergen (such as pollen). These chemicals cause swelling in your lungs and tightening of the muscles around your airways, which can result in asthma symptoms and allergies.

It really makes me sleep, breath well and feel so much better. I have CFIDS and FMS so never wake up really refreshed but I have gotten real use to Singulair very quick.

Perhaps others can't take regular antihistamines that this might help. Some doctors I understand are giving both at the same time. Search it. Interesting.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Welcome to the board. What is your diagnosis?

You will find that this board can be very helpful.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I can not take antihistamines as they make my RLS worse.

Glad it works for you and maybe will help others.

Take care.

8. marw

marw New Member

Yes, I take 50 -75 mg. of Benadryl. IT works great for me, and nothing else did. I had tried everything, including Melatonin (sp?) and all the sleep meds, and had terrible side effects.

About the anti-histamines: they work differently in different people. Also not all of them are alike. If I need one for an allergy (or any other reason) in the daytime, I take something else, so I will not get sleepy.

But for sleeping, Benadryl has saved me. Most times I wake up after about 4 hours, because my pain pills wear off, but I keep them by the bed, and just take the next dose and go right back to sleep. I don't usually need any more Benadryl, but if I do, I take another one--25 mg--at that time.

Good luck to you. It is soooo hard to get all these meds working right, I know. And to even find things that will work.

9. 1jaguar

1jaguar New Member

Been DX with Fibro and chronic headaches along with other junk too. Have dizzy spells also.
    Thanx for Welcoming me to the board.
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

but be very careful taking stuff like benadryl if you have high blood pressure. Zrtec or the generic version is one that doesn't raise your blood pressure.
  11. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Antihistamines are the most common ingredient in 'PM, meds. Please do not use these for sleep all the time. They cause nasal dryness and sores. Antihistamines can also cause RLS-restless leg in many people.

There are other things to try before getting a prescription for sleep. Some people take valerian or melatonin.