Antihistamines and Sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockgor, Nov 15, 2009.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I've had CFS for nearly 30 years. Generally do not sleep at night at all.
    But last night my allergies were really bad. Took 3 antihistamines
    in the space of about 2 hours. Then slept all night.

Does anyone know if using antihistamines as sleeping pills is an
    unwise practice?

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

My friend takes bendryl for sleep. I also know those who do use antihistamines for sleep not on a regular basis. Not sure what a doc would say but I wish I could take anthiistamines I would try them ..Still using xanax, I think anthistamines would be so much better than a Rx drug. That's just my input.

As long as it doesn't dry your sinuses etc.

I see no harm after all a good nights sleep is a must if you can get it.

God Bless,
  3. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

There are lots of anthistamines that have sleepiness as side effect. Especially the older ones because they cross the bbb. The newer ones shouldnt make you fall asleep but I get sleepy of them too. So if it works you could try it. If you get depressed in the long run or if you feel that you lose some of your intelligence you should stop them. Anthistamines can cause depression and they can temporarily reduce your intelligence because histamine is a important brain neurotransmitter.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Benedryl is actually one of the ingredients in some OTC sleep medications.

I do know they help for a lot of people. I can't take it as it makes my RLS worse.

Good luck.

[This Message was Edited on 11/15/2009]
  5. rockgor

Well, I was up briefly this morning. Then went back to bed and slept
    another 4-5 hours. Uff-da!*

Thanks for all the replies and the bumped thread. You are all
    too kind.

"Uff-da! is an all purpose exclamation that we Norskies from Minnesota
    (the Old Country) frequently use.

I said it once at a bridge tournament in Los Angeles. The fellow on my left
    turned and asked, "Are you from Minnesota?"
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I said "Uff-dah" at a soiree and the person next to me leaned over and whispered, "You know you really should say 'Excuse me' after you burp."

Okay this story is completely fabricated, but it could have happened!!

7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I take Benadryl every night for sleep and have for over 20 years. Works for me. I take a smaller dose though. It's 12 1/2 mg. (children's chewables). I used to take the 25 mg capsules but they are a little strong for me. My doctors never have said it's a problem. No side effects, just drowsiness and that's the point, isn't it?

Uff-da ya'll. Not from Minnesota, from the south! GB66
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

When I was having trouble sleeping, doc told me to take Benadryl

I don't think it is to be used on a regular basis though
  9. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

You crack me up! haha

10. victoria

victoria New Member

I totally agree.

I've been using doxalymine succinate for past 7-8 years to not only help me go to sleep and stay asleep, but also because it stops sinus headaches.

It seems that if I'm vertical, everything drains... but not when I'm laying down despite elevating the head of the bed. If I don't use it, I am awakened with horrible sinusitis, and there's no getting back to sleep then.

I will say this about long term side effects, which I do think is due to the doxalymine - my word order is getting messed up, and often say the wrong words or even while typing leave words out.

I think it's the doxalymine because I had a RX of one pill that was several things for bad sinus headaches which did the same thing to me, and worse (I could actually say the opposite of what I meant or had just been talking about). That pill mixture is now off the market(!), but I remember one of the ingredients was scopalimine for some reason.

But it took about 5 years of regularly taking doxalymine nightly to start experiencing these effects.

I do give myself a break from it every few months with benadryl/dipenhydramine; I start with 25 mg then 50 mg - sleepiness for me lasts for about a week per dosage, then it becomes paradoxical --- keeps me awake!!!!

Worse, if I forget to also take melatonin (which I take with the doxalymine too) - it stops working at exactly 4 hours --- my eyes fly open as if a switch was flipped! As it is, even with melatonin, it wears off by 5-6 hours and have to take a 2nd dosage. Never sleep as well during these times, as my sleep gets interrupted.

Hope that helps Rock, sweet dreams!

all the best,

11. rockgor

and start my life anew?
    Instead of havin' sweet dreams over you?

Thanks for the input, everydobby.

12. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Cyproheptadine is an alternative to valium... =D Google it!

(it's also for allergies, serotonin syndrome, migraines, loss of hunger...)
  13. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I take it, yes, available in the US.

M.E. took away my appetite for many months, I dropped to 95 lbs, my doctor gave me this to help my hunger... Unfortuntely then I was almost too tired to eat because I'm REALLY sensitive to medicine. It did help my hunger after a few days of taking it, but for sleep I only take 1mg before I hit the pillow. You're supposed to take 4mg every four hours for allergies... Nooooo I cannot do that, I'd never wake up.