Antihistamines helpful for anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rafiki, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

There are two substances that have definitely been helpful to me, and a third which I suspect has, over 30 years of ME. Antibiotics (Tetracyclines including Doxycycline seem most useful) and Antihistamines. The third drug was the old anti-malarials.

I have been using diphenhydramine (aka benadryl) to sleep for several weeks and have been feeling much less malaise. I have also been significantly less fatigued.

I ran out a few days ago and cannot replace until next mo. and, to my surprise, I am once again having trouble being on the computer etc. without flattening malaise. My arms ache and tingle. My head spins. My eyes tire swiftly. I'm dizzy and weak. You all know the drill. (I have a tendency to forget how awful I can feel as soon as I feel better.)

In the past I have also found non-sedating antihistamines helpful during the day.

Has anyone else had a significant improvement of symptoms when on Antihistamines?

I saw that Cheney uses an old fashioned antidepressant (doxepin) for its powerful antihistamine/immune modulating properties but in my present muddled state I can't understand the online rational. Tetracyclines are also immune modulators. I'm having a lot of trouble really understanding how this is thought to help us.

Much thanks,

ETA More specific title
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2009]
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i have found antihistamines helpful for sleep, they did lose there effect, now i use them with lyrica and they are effective once again for sleep. I use phenergan or doxylamine for sleep, no script there cheap. Also another antihistamine that may be useful is periactin, it suppose to increase stage 4 sleep and also reverse sexual side effects of ssri's, so if you have a big night planned and your on an ssri bop a periactin, just try not to fall asleep till the fun is over, lol
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

My mom has the same problem with antihistamines! She's very sensitive to any medication but if she takes benadryl she's knocked out for hours and she'll pass out within minutes of taking it.

Just thought I'd mention, you're not alone there.

4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'd be dead without Benadryl. It's my only weapon to help me sleep. And it does calm down my central nervous system when I'm flaring. For me, it's like an essential drug. I don't use it every day, but when I need it, it's the only thing that really helps.
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Hiya Terch,
    That's strange! But, you're not alone. Shenanegans mom - how interesting. I use OTC and have been helped by both sedating (diphenhydramine - benedryl) and non-sedating (claritin) but can't take anything with a decongestant, ever.

(The mites are fine thanks - 4 households now -- Oym!)

Hi Heapsreal,
    Yeah it's great for sleep but does lose effectiveness fairly quickly. I find that tolerance drops away just as quickly, though, and it's just as effective again.

Hi, Tea. You also experience a general improvement. I was referred to an ME friendly allergist a few years ago but did not go. I think I'll see if I can get referred again.

I was also found to have crazy high Igg which is affected by allergy. People with ME are statistically more likely to have allergies. Don't know.

Also, many auto-immune disorders have been treated, with some success in trials, using antihistamines.

I bet I've posted about this before. Either that or I'm experiencing deya vu.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a theory as to why this might be helpful.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply!

Foggily yours,

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2009]
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I can't take ssri's. I don't suffer from depression so it's not a big issue but any energy enhancement effects they may have I cannot benefit from. I seem to have plenty of serotonin already.

When I did try ssri for energy I did not have the usual side effect at all, at all! I seemed to react exactly opposite to what one would expect with this drug in every way. Of course, that means it also made me depressed.

Thanks for the additional info.
    Peace out,
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

8. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Would you mind if I asked which anti-histamine helps you and at what dose? Thanks :)
    Ignore me! LOL I just re-read your post! :)

Can I ask, though, if you only take it at night? And, if so, does that help with your day time malaise ? Thanks! :)
    PS Hope you manage to get some soon...
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2009]
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Benadryl also has a lower dose chewable tablet. It's made for children and adults. The dose is 12.5 mg. and the capsules are 25 mg. I can take one of the children's size without feeling very drowsy. They're flavored and easy to take. If the capsules are too strong for you, take a half or less dose of the chewables and see if it helps. I have taken Benadryl for over 20 years for sleep and allergies. It works fine for me. GB66
  10. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

For those who found the Benadryl helpful I wonder if you have allergies to food or meds or environment and the Ben helps clear it up. Benadryl is what they give you when you have allergic reactions to things, it's what I took when I had an allergic reaction to fleuroquinolones. So maybe the action of the Ben clearing up the turmoil your body is in from allergies is helping.
    Just a Norco-induced thought.
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I mostly take benadryl to help me go to sleep. The only thing I've ever noticed as far as allergy relief goes is that it eases some of the itching I experience when I get a rash. I often get rashes on my spine for some reason. It's usually when I've been exposed to a chemical that my system doesn't like ( most any chemical !). It really has never helped me with any of my respiratory allergy symptoms as far as I know. I guess it has many uses. GB66
  12. loto

loto Member

I did feel better while taking benadryl a few months back. I don't know why it made me feel better, maybe because it helped me sleep good????
    Why can't they take the ingredient in these antihystamines and make some type of med for people with FM, CFS, etc??
    Or, maybe they do, and I just don't know it.
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Tusan Takk!

Thousand thanks for the bump. Maybe I'll 'speriment and see what happens
    if I regularly take the allergy pills at bedtime. At least I won't sneeze in
    my sleep.

14. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I agree about losing it's effectiveness. I take it for sleep as well and find after a few nights in a row, it doesn't work that well. I try to alternate with Melatonin, as that seems to do the same for me. It is interesting to see that others have that same issue.