Antimicrobial Peptides & Retroviruses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisa, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

I have been researching whether retroviral infections can be inhibited by antimicrobial peptides. First, Vitamin D has been found to increase our antimicrobial peoptides by many fold. These peptides are known to be part of our innate immunity/defense and kill or inhibit replication of most pathogens - bacteria, viruses and according to animal research on HIV-1 - retroviruses.

I am trying to find info on Vit D and retroviruses OR antimicrobial peptides and retroviruses.

One troubling thing to me is why in this disease are there so many infections - just piling up. What is going on that the immune system can not control them? That is the million dollar question...isn't it?

Anyway, with all the research on Vit D I wonder...

Anyone see the Life Extension article out this month on Vit D and its role in anti-microbial peptide production?

What got me looking was I began two things - Vitamin D3 spray and tanning (just body) and only for a few minutes every other day. Now here's the most amazing thing - my 2.5 yr temperature seems to be gone gone gone (fingers-crossed). So you can see why I am curious about this...

If anyone finds research on these items - please post I'd love to hear.

God Bless,

Elisabeth[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2009]
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i was reading over your list of supps, and i noticed on the olive leaf extract it says not good to use if you have heart probs.

can you tell me what it does to the heart?? i used the liquid form for about 3 weeks awhile back, and my heart started bothering me a lot. Just wondering i i may have done more damage to my heart :( scary
  3. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Wow! I'm so happy for you. Thanks so much for updating us on what happened with the tanning bed/vitamin D.

Just curious if you are taking some kind of amino acid supplement. Perhaps if we have enough raw materials, we can make our own peptide antimicrobials...???
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i'll be sure & look for it. ooh yes i dropped it after only a couple weeks of use, it made me feel worse.

Just some other advice for everyone, be careful with supps & herbs, they are natural but can be potent and sometimes harmful.

i was taking a lot of supps, and then added a herbal parasite detox. My Kidney function went way over the top!! so i stopped everything & it went back to normal.

now im starting slowly taking one at a time, i was so desperate for relief i was just taking anything i thought would help. but i over did it.

so be careful out there, i know were all so dsperate to feel better.
  5. Elisa

Elisa Member

More evidence - even against TB and AIDS...
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I am so happy for you! You have been battling that fever forever - that is amazing that vitamin D is doing this for you. You must be ecstatic (with fingers crossed, of course!)

What brand of vitamin D3 spray are you using, and how much are you using? I've been taking 2,000 IU of vitamin D3 a day for a couple of years, but am sick most of the time with sinus or upper respiratory problems. My doctor today told me to up it to 5,000.

I'm also going to be starting the low-dose naltrexone in a couple of days, just got a prescription today. To learn more about it go to - it's being used for a host of diseases, including FM, CFS, AIDS, various cancers, MS, Crohn's disease and so on. Because it is supposed to be so good at boosting the immune system, I of course want to see if it would be effective against somethnig like XMRV (which I don't know if I even have)

Yes, you're right that our immune deficiencies are the million dollar question. I think they quite likely could be caused by a retrovirus. We need the research done, and in the main it's been ignored for 25 years. So hopefully researchers will start getting up to speed now.

I saw my CFS doctor today and he said he thought the cardiomyopathy prevalent in CFS (which I have) is probably caused by some sort of pathogen, he mentioned nano-bacteria (smaller even than mycoplasma). He suggested I try the Miracle Mineral Solution (google for more info), said it is very effective against malaria and who knows what other pathogens.

Anyways, I'm going to try the ldn first, and up my D3 and see what happens, and then may go on to try the MMS. It would be nice to have a halfway decently functioning immune system!

Best wishes to you-

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I looked at a place called and it does not appear to be that expensive - e.g., a bottle of Nutricology brand, Artemisia annua, 100 capsules, 500 mg. each, is $16.48. More expensive than garlic, but not compared to a lot of stuff. Recommended dose is 2 capsules daily, so this would last 2-1/2 months.

It's funny - I just saw my doctor today and he told me about his son who went to Iraq, and he (the doctor) made sure that his son took artemisia all the time he was there to prevent malaria. I'd never heard of it before but it appears to be quite effective. Definitely worth looking into --

8. Elisa

Elisa Member

You both have been so supportive of me during this long long fever. I am so thankful. I haven't officially announced that it is gone yet but it seems to be - I so hope...

Mary, Vitamin D3 is huge for innate defense. I have bad heart issues and this has held me back from trying things. I couldn't tolerate D3 in pills - ended up in the ER with enlarged left ventricle on EKG.

I work with Dr. Guyer and he said "stick close to nature." And he felt Vit D in the form of sun or supplements could help. Anyway, I started taking the D3 spray on Dr Mercola's site - to bypass the gut and absorb it sublingually - hoping it would be better for me. I also purchased a tanning panel - just a couple minutes every other day to help increase my Vit D - just expose my legs and body - not face.

And I did two other things - started taking Field Greens - by Vibrant Health - first thing in the morning - to alkalize my system (Dr. Cheney is big on alkalizing diet). And lastly, I brush with 3% hydrogen peroxide (brown bottle in drug stores) every other day - to try and minamilize dental issues that add to our toxic load (also a Cheney suggestion, i.e., keeping dental microbes in check.)

Anyway, I have been interesed in the research on the Vit D and these antimicrobial peptides. This may be the route that is helping me - just not sure yet - but am hopeful.

I wonder if these peptides would be effective against nano bacteria?

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2009]
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That's scary that the D3 pills threw you into the emergency room! I can see why you've been held back from trying things.

I've been taking d3 capsules with no problem, but I don't think it's been doing much good either, which I guess is why my doctor is upping my dose. I don't have your severe heart problems (although I do have cardiomyopathy). but I think when I reorder I'll give the spray a try.

I have no doubt the Field Greens are helping you. I posted awhile back how my 83-year-old neighbor with stage 4 kidney disease suddenly perked up when she started taking a good greens product. I had thought she was on her way out, and then saw her a week or so later and she was just so much better. It was great. I have trouble with greens fooods because they make me detox. I have some I've put aside, think I will retry in a smaller dose.

That's a good trip re brushing with the 3% hydrogen perxoide - I know dental issues are huge for overall body health.

Anyways, it's really nice to hear good news from you!

10. Jayna

Jayna New Member

In light of the new XMRV research, more Vitamin D seems like a no-brainer if you can tolerate it at all.

I was taking 1000 iu of D3 in winter and half that in the summer until a few years ago when my heart failed big-time. Then all of a sudden I couldn't take it any more - gave me palpitations and agitation like crazy.

It's a long haul for anyone with long-term CFS to repair any body system, but in the past year my heart has gotten stronger again. I have gradually added back my Vitamin D3, starting with 200 iu every second day, then every day, then twice a day. Now I am up to 500 iu/day and hope to keep gradually increasing until I get up to a 'therapeutic dose' of 2000 iu/day.