Antipsychotic Drugs and Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Dec 20, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

A recent study from the University of Granada in Spain has found that atypical anti-psychotic drugs, such as Ziprasidone, may be useful in chronic pain treatment.

Study participants, who received 20 mg. of ziprasidone each day, experienced significantly improved conditions of stiffness, anxiety, and sadness.

----------

ref: NFA Newsletter

2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My first question is, "Who funded the study". I am tired of people with physical problems being given drugs for mental problems.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I personally think I would try most anything to get rid of my pain before I would try Antipsychotic Drugs! In fact, I don't know if I would EVER try them at all!!!
  4. leubie

leubie New Member

ive never heard of this med?????---------WHAT are ANTI-PSYCHOTIC MEDS any way????--------please explain----------thanks-----------TAKE CARE---------LOVE TO ALL-------------------LAURA
  5. teribelle13

teribelle13 New Member

I cannot remember the name. It was outrageously expensive, didn' help in the least and then it was RECALLED because of causing diabetes......I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes now. That's all I needed was another problem.
    Also, I agree with whoever said they were tired of hearing about drugs for your HEAD, instead of some real help!
    It was SEREQUEL[This Message was Edited on 12/28/2006]
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Don't immediately put your guard up against these meds guys. Anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, etc. may SOUND like your doctor is just pushing you into a 'mental illness' group, but they are testing these medicines because they act on chemicals that the brain releases. And some of these chemicals can effect the way your body perceives pain. So right now, while they can't cure Fibro pain, doctors are trying methods other then straight pain meds for treatment of chronic pain.

I have no idea whether this particular study is valid or not but I'm just saying.. there are tons of meds out there being used for the treatment of Fibromyalgia that are not being used within the original purpose of the medication.
  7. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I have fibro, was put on a very low dose of seroquel last spring to help with sleep. I was surprised to learn that seroquel is an anti-psychotic med, but for my case it had nothing to do with psych issues. Apparently an extremely low dose has been shown to help some people regulate their sleep cycles and achieve more restorative sleep.

I took it for a few months. It helped a bit, but not enough with sleep for me, so I was switched to something completely different and the new medication works much better for me.

Many medications have more than one use....wishing you well, nature