Antiviral meds and common colds-possible?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, Nov 15, 2005.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

Is it possible to get a cold when on antivirals? I now wonder if I am just hexing. I have been on them for 6 days now.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jane:
    My doc said there is nothing one can do about the common cold except to let it runs it's course. On my last visit to him he was sniffling and sneezing all over the place.
    He said I wouldn't get the cold and I didn't. I was so suprised. Antivirals: maybe, just maybe, may have nothing to do with the cold. Sometimes a cold is just a cold.
    Yet, I have no medical credentials and no backgrond in this. It's just based on what my doc told me. One doc, one person, I have not seen it in literature anywhere. Good luck to you.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

Thanks. I was just curious. I guess everyone would love to find a way to beat the common cold-maybe sometime in the near future they will know more:)
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been reading a lot on this board about taking anti-virals and transfer factors. Many people say that they herx from taking them. To me, the symptoms sound very much like the symptoms of coming down with a cold.

Do a search and read a thread started by spazmonkey titled:

antivirals/transfer factors/FFC

It's interesting to see how other are reacting to these things. Mikie is especially knowledgable on transfer factors.

At least if it is a herx, you know the antivirals are doing something!

Katy
  5. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

Antivirals such as acyclovir and valtrex are only active against herpesvirusues, such as EBV, CMV, HHV. Cold virusus have nothing do do with it, so these meds do not act on them. Antivirals against influenza such as amantadin and tamiflu are not active against adenoviruses. You can get a cold while on them.