Antivirals and dieoff?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Jul 14, 2006.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

hi, does anybody know if you get die-off from using anti-virals, and if so, would it be useful to use activated charcoal supps to mop up the crud?

Also, anyone got recommendations on charcoal supps?

also, anyone using questran to bind and dispose of the bad stuff?

Cheers
    Delia
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, the AV's cause immune response and Herxing. I Herx hard but fast so I don't use anything. I'll see if I can find the response to me where these things were mentioned.

Love, Mikie

OK, here is is:

Mikie (& others) 07/13/06 09:41 PM

Do you take Activated Charcoal when you are on the AB's? My Dr. says to take 10-20 (260mg) capsules each day. I take 10 caps every day. They need to be taken 2 hours before & after any food/ meds/ supps. What the charcoal does is bind to the Endotoxins, thus preventing the Endotoxins from recirculating & being accumulated in your body. (Thus making us feel like crud!)

Here's some info from one of my Dr's handouts:"Both Chlamydia & Mycoplasma release endotoxin while they are alive and much more is released when they are killed with antibiotics. Elevated endotoxin levels are associated with neurotoxicity(anxiety, insomnia, cognitive impairment), endocrine changes (hypotension, low body temp, eutyroid syndrome, HPA dysfunction) and inflammation. Endotoxin is responsible for septic shock and has been linked to asthma, diarrhea, low blood pressure, muscle pain and nerve toxicity."

Here are some other anti-Endotoxin ideas: (I take these):

High Fiber Diet
    Digestive Enzymes
    Magnesium
    Zinc 30-50mg a day
    Vitamin C 1,000mg 4x daily
    Vitamin B12 injections (up to 3 times a week)

You may already know about all these ideas, but I thought I'd share from my treatment protocol.

I hope you will improve soon so you'll be able to attend your reunion & other FUN activities!

Hugs,
    Annie

[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2006]
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

that was the post that got me thinking... should i take charcoal supps with my anti-viral.

So you think it might work?

Delia
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Drink lots of water. Stormy is right; not everyone Herxes in the same way. If the body can handle the dieoff and rid itself of the dead pathogens before they become toxic, one may not even have Herxing symptoms.

I am Herxing right now as I've just finished a round of ABX and AV's. The Red Tide just keeps rearing its ugly head down here on our beaches and it keeps me worn out. I'm allergic to it and I wake at night coughing and choaking from my dry throat due to breathing through my mouth. Tonight, I'm adding Benadryl. During the day, I'm on Guaifenesin, Sudafed, and an albuterol inhaler. But, I digress...

Yesterday and today, I pulsed my TF's. Since I'm already Herxing, I don't know how the TF's will affect me. At least, they will boost my immune system and, hopefully, keep the infections at bay.

Love, Mikie
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Eeooww! I fought with the devil last night. I took my last dosage of Famvir. The burning on the skin was intense. I don't know if that is because of the virus I got MONDAY, or if that is the Famvir talking.

Hey, 3 weeks before we were supposed to go on a dream vacation, I get sick - a relapse of the same virus that caused this DD in the first place, or a new one that triggered the old one. Who cares anymore? People are teasing me that I have vacationitis because the same thing happened to me two years ago. I can't help it that this DD makes its appearance in the summertime when I am not working and when I am actually having fun. What capricious critters these viruses are.

Anyway, I had 11 months of feeling good and 90% remission, and now this.

Well, lets get back to what is good for herxing. I am drinking lots of water with fresh squeezed lemon juice. A little lemon juice goes a long way. I am also pacing. A little up and walking around the house, and a little down in my darkened room. A little on the computer, and then a little resting.

This is day 6 of feeling ill. I hope this relapse doesn't last a year like the other 2 bouts of CFS.

Thanks for listening to my ranting.

CherylSue
  6. place

place New Member

Are you going to FFC/ treating for infections and taking Zyrem?

That is going to be my approach.

Thanks
  7. deliarose

deliarose New Member

not going to teh FFC.. seeing a local doc .. on anti-virals. waiting for Xyrem...

Keep us posted on yr progress..
    Cheers
    Delia