AntiVirals... How long are you taking them for?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chootik, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi Everyone.

I have a question for everyone who is on Anti-Viral meds.

How long are you guys suppose to take them for? My doc has said I need to take it for 3 monhts. The first month I will be on 3 grams a day (Accyclovir), the second month I will be on 1.6 grams (2 x 800 tablets)and then the third month on 1 x 800 tablet.

Is this the normal protocol? My doc said these things are really hard to kill so that's why we need to do it long term.

Please let us know what you're doing, if you're taking Anti-Virals.

I really appreciate your help.

Chootik
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Your doc is a keeper. Once the three months is up, it can be helpful to pulse the AV's every six weeks or so for 10 days to 2 weeks. If they still produce an immune reaction and you have a Herxheimer reaction, you need to keep pulsing them.

An alternative is transfer factors. They have fewer side effects than AV's and, I believe, are stronger. They can really produce a strong immune reaction. The TF 200, which is now called something else, is the one which targets both A & B strains of the HHV-6. HHV-6 is in the Herpes Family and is very, very difficult to rein in. It is probably the most virulent of the Herpes viruses and is very common in those of us with the illnesses. You can read about the TF's here in the Store.

After the AV's, I took the TF's for three months. I also took the TF C. Now, I just pulse them for a couple of days every six weeks. I am a big believer in the TF's. I noticed that Rich Carson mentioned that they are part of his treatment regimen too. You can also use the web to get more info on TF's. I buy mine here because of the high quality stds. at ProHealth.

Finally, people with chronic infections often develop fibrin overgrowth in their blood. This provides a low-oxygen environment for the pathogens to thrive. If you go to the HEMEX Labs website, you can learn more about this and the tests. The treatment for it is Heparin at low doses.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Thanks for the info!

I do have a question for the Transfer Factors. I also have Autoimmune Hashimotos, so am wondering if Transfer Factor and in fact all the Immune boosting supplements are OK for me?

I don't want to mess up the Immune System and make the Autoimmune worse! Eventhough my doc says Mushrooms and most other Immune supp. are Ok since they correct the imbalance in the Immune System. But I did read other places that one has to be carefull with these if you have Autoimmune.

Let me know what you think of this?

Love
    Chootik
  4. Chootik

Chootik New Member

5. swanson

swanson New Member

I first took acyvclovir alone for 6 months with no response; then both acyvlovir and famvir 500mg together, three times per day for six months with with no response. Both IGMs on CMV and HHV6remained elevated indicating current6 illness. Then Dr. switched me to cytovene (gangciclovir) 500mg three times a day. Started responding after a few months. Igm for cmv came down to normal. HHV6 Igm is improving. I feel about 65% of normal, also with the help of effexor.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If one has an overactive immune system/autoimmune illnesses, one has to be very careful with using products which may rev up the immune system. As with all treatment options, I think it is good to discuss these things with one's doc. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  7. Chootik

Chootik New Member

I don't know anyone who recovered, but there are a LOT of articles and stories that say Anti-Virals are helping CFS.

Also Deliarose on this site, started taking Valtrex and is doing better. In fact, I decided to take Anti-Virals after I read her story.

And for me, almost immediately after starting the Accyclovir, I noticed a significant decrease in my Brain Fog and also a decrease in the Black Dots that I was seeing before. So I know it's working. I'm just going to finish my dose and then retake the EBV and HHV6 tests to see if they went down.

8. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Thanks.

So just curiuos do you have any of the Autoimmune stuff, or were you lucky enough not to get that stuff.

Also do you know a good source where we can find info on what supplements are Ok for Autoimmune, I mean the Immune supplements.

It's a little confusing and it helps to get as much info as possible.

Thanks a bunch.
  9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have FMS and CFIDS but so far, no autoimmune illnesses. Some believe FMS and CFIDS are autoimmune but the jury is still out on that one.

I don't know which supplements would hurt someone with autoimmune illnesses but I have heard that some docs will not allow their patients with these illnesses to take transfer factors or colostrum.

Ask your doc about immune modulators. They bring overactive immune systems more in line and help rev up inactive ones. Actually, there are two sides to the immune system and with FMS and CFIDS, one side is usually overactive and one side sluggish.

Wish I could be of more help with this but I just haven't had to cope with autoimmunity. I wish the best for you.

Love, Mikie
  11. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Cat003.

Actually I am feeling better on the Accyclovir. And just like you my pulse is going up too. The thing is I have an over active Nervous system as well so I'm getting more Palpatations and things like that. I'm taking a shake which is suppose to calm down the Nervous System. It has helped a lot.

I believe the theory about the toxins. I also do lymphatic message, usually once a week and then I jump on a mini-trampeline to get my circulation going. Also I take Milk Thisle and drink Dandelion Juice (fresh squeezed) to detox!

The raised pulse, could also be that some medications will effect the Nervous system and will raise the pulse. But I figure all this is worthed if at the end I can GET RID of these bugs which are invading our bodies!

I still have 2 more months on Accyclovir. I can't wait till I'm all better :)

Mikie.

Thanks for the info. You're so lucky that you didn't get Autoimmune. For me, that's been the scariest part of this. But I guess if we do anti-inflamatories and do the modulators then we might be ok. Also I hope more research will be done in this area and we can get a better understanding of what works and doesn't for us.

Love
    Chootik
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

About treating one's pathogens is that it may help avoid autoimmune illnesses. When the pathogens kill their host cells, there can be pathogen DNA/RNA attached to the dead cell. Also, the pathogens can carry off some of our own DNA on them in the bloodstream. In either case, if the immune system does identify the foreign invader, it may believe that our own DNA is foreign and attack it. That is how autoimmunity can start. That is another good reason to get rid of the pathogens.

My Mom's doc told me that patients with heart problems often have partial pieces of DNA/RNA from viruses in the fluid surrounding the heart. It doesn't even take a complete virus to cause heart inflammation and heart problems.

I know this sounds scary, but it's better to know what these pathogens are capable of. We really need to get control of them.

Love, Mikie
  13. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Actually I got Mitral Valve Prolapse, and I'm sure I didn't have that before I got sick!

I think the Chronic EBV caused this and I'm so mad at myself and also at the doc. because 2 1/2 years ago he didn't say anything to me about taht and just recently I asked to be tested again for EBV and we realized I had Reactivated EBV and that's why I'm on the Antivirals.

Either way, I'm glad I'm on it and hope it will take care of it. I think it def. did a lot of damage but hopefully I can stop it in its tracks now!

Thanks Mikie for your help.
    Chootik