ANTIVIRALS: how long until people felt better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cristine04, Jan 15, 2007.

1. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Happy New Year all!

How long were people on antivirals before they felt better?

How long was the worsening of symptoms, if there was any?

I'm interested to see thoughts from this group.

It seems that, based on some articles, some people felt better in "a few weeks" while others had long periods of worsening before feeling better. (And didn't get better until five or six months after treatment).

Thanks for any input!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2007]
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Teh brain fog started lifting immediately. My doc said I wld see significant improvement in 6 months.. I would say I am there in 4... but I gather it could take up to 2 years to return to normal.

Pls see my other posts if u want more info on my protocol.
    delia
  3. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I am supposed to be on Valtrex for "other reasons" 500 mg a day, could this help me with fibro? Take so many meds I have only taken as needed. Doc said to take for 6 months to a year to stop the "other problem".
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

My friend's mom got exremely serious CFS in about 1995.

She said that for a while, she couldn't get up for more than 30 seconds. Gradually she tried different things and got a lot better, but still wasn't wholly well.

She went on Famvir four years ago and stayed on it for 18 months. She said that she got somewhat better during this time, but that she was also doing other things and wasn't sure if the Famvir was responsible for her improvement. She didn't have any herxing symptoms.

However, soon after that (6 months to a year) she got _wholly_ well. She is 67 and now is at a 10+. (The healthiest and most glowing 67-year-old I know, actually. This is totally different than she was 10 or even five years ago).

Her only complaint is that she still has to take thyroid and adrenal supplements to feel her best. She thinks that if she were _truly_ well, she wouldn't need anything. But how many people who are almost 70 are in totally perfect health (meaning easily able to do 12 hours of busy activities every day) and with no drugs at all?

She does not give Famvir the credit for making her well, and I agree that it is extremely unlikely that it would have helped that much if she hadn't done all kinds of other stuff to address her health problems.

I also do not believe she would have gotten _wholly_ better without the Famvir, though. Very very few people with CFS (especially those who start out really sick) get well, much less vibrantly well.

She's the person who introduced me to my doctor (Dale Guyer), by the way. I'm a bit annoyed that he didn't prescribe the drug to me a few years ago, but perhaps it was my own fault for not being insistent enough that he cure me totally. I also might not have been ready for the drug at the time.....I have herxed very badly on it, and if other people hadn't had similar experiences with it (and my doctor hadn't said that it was okay that I was doing that and also recommended adrenal support), I might have given up on it before getting benefits.

Anyway, if I get well from it (the plan is for me to stay on AV's---Famvir and then Valcyte--for at least six months), I will have no regrets. Look back at my Famvir status reports if you want to know how I've done so far. I'm currently at week 8.
  5. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Lisa,

Thanks so much for the response. That's quite a story about your friend's mother, especially given how she didn't have any "reaction" to the meds. A 10+ is pretty darn good!!!!

Nightngale:

You mean your doctor said to stay on Valtrex six months before looking for results?