Anxiety anyone? Agoraphobia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Apr 25, 2010.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

Since I was forced to quit my job I have slowly developed a type of anxiety - agoraphobia. I start feeling very anxious when I have to leave my house. Many times I am unable to attend my daughters school functions. I praise God for my mother and father(before he passed) for attending everything I did attend and attending things when I could not force myself to leave the house.

Any suggestions?

2. chris350

chris350 New Member

Thank you so much for caring enough to answer. I have an appointment with a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist Wed and Thurs of this week respectfully.

I will let you know how it goes.

3. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

First may I say I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

But I also applaud you for realizing that anxiety can be "crippling" if one lets it.
    Good for you to seek help! Do you realize you just took an important step
    to overcome that anxiety?

Often anxiety comes from a fear of being out of control. Could that factor in here?
    I read where you had to quit your job.

It makes me sad to read some posters on here that continually have anxiety/depression but will not deal with it.

If you try the SSRI's please dont get "might" have side effects. They lasted about 4 wks for me. I have Lupus & now MS. I too had to face anxiety when I first became sick & left my job. A low dosage of Lexapro helped me take the edge off so that I could get good counseling.

Counseling along w/meds was just a part of the battle plan.

Good Luck,
  4. chris350

chris350 New Member

I know I have a problem with anxiety. It takes everything I have to get out of the house. I have an appointment tomorrow. Pray I keep it. I know I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life. I am only 40, I am attractive and smart. I refuse to give into this. My daughter has a choir concert tonight. I know she thinks I will not go. I am going to this if is kills me.

Pray for me and her.

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Since the CFS I have had this and hate it. I am taking an anti-anxiety drug which takes the edge off and slowly getting out and around town at times but to go out of town or to a docs appointment etc. you would think I was going to face a gun. Have tried therapy no sucess, can't take AD's . I live in misery and don't know what to do. Hope you get some good answers as I have none but sure can relate. I also have GAD which is magnified if I have to face anything. Its misery ..

God Bless,

6. Elisa

Elisa Member

Greatgran your description of "you would think I was going to face a gun" is EXACTLY what I say and feel. A perfect description of how it feels - it defies logic.

My current doctor feels it is an adrenal problem - so I guess my suggestion is to get to the root maybe see a naturpathic doctor who can do tests.

I also cant take most meds. So I have to agree meds are a temporary help (like Xanax/Ativan etc), but not a cure - and getting to the root is best.

There are programs on tape/CD that many swear by - Lucinda Bassett, etc - online under "panic."

It could be hormonal too - so that's something to look into w/ alternative docs. Traditional docs will just label you and drug you - that's all they know...sadly.

Hope this helps...

God Bless,

I find prayer helpful too and EFT, as mentioned above.
  7. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

I'm not sure what you are asking said in your first post you wanted suggestions.

May I ask what have you tried? That might help in others offering what has helped them.

Elisabeth...I found that "some" traditional drs. label you...but I would not label ALL traditional drs. in that category. I found help....Lexapro to take the edge off....allowed me to get therapy. Then I tapered off when I was ready.