Anxiety Attacks Anyone have them?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris350, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chris350

chris350 New Member

Along with depression I have anxiety attacks that keep me from going to appointments. I have to cancel certain things at the last minute. At times it keeps me from getting in the shower. I feel safe in my bed with my tv and remote control. My life is slipping away and I don't know what to do. Am I just lazy? I never have been before? It seems if I can force my way throuth the attack and get the shower and fix my hair and make up I feel so glad I did it. But this is much easier to type than done.

Please let me know if I am the only nutt out there!
  2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

This topic along with panic attacks gets discussed a lot. I won't go into my long history, but I was paralyzed in the beginning of dx 20+ years ago, and was able to conquer it through counseling, group therapy and just finding out what I could do to feel well.

I would have anxiety driving to the meetings.

It was a journey, but worth it.

I had mono as one of my first symptoms. Once, I went to the ER after not experiencing an attack for 12 years. The doctor told me it also is biochemistry, that some people's hearts make them prone to anxiety attacks.

Many on these boards have experienced them. You need to find what works for you.

Nobody was there for me to pick my children up from school, run errands. I was afraid to go out of the house. But, I had to. That's what helped me was I had to do it.

My first sentence to my counselor at one of the group sessions was that I wanted courage, he said "What do you think got you here?" I'll never forget it.

I came from being a survivor to an overcomer. I took my power back.
  3. jole

jole Member

Oh yes!! I can definitely relate to everything you wrote. No you are not lazy. It is real, it is debilitating, and it needs to be treated. Even with medication, I still suffer from this after nearly 7 years...not as often, but when they happen they're just as severe.

You might want to check the depression board if you haven't already. There is a lot of info and support there for people with this problem. Wishing you the best of luck.....Jole

4. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I have had them. They seem to go hand in hand with Depression. I have had the same problems and successes as you and the others; the only thing that kept me from becoming housebound was to force myself to continue to function . I had to go to work and school.

It is hard, very hard. You are not lazy, you're scared. I always told myself that they won't last, and they won't kill me.

You know what I think really made them go away? When I finally got angry enough one day (when I could feel one coming on all day but it just wouldn't) to tell myself to go ahead and have it and get it over with because I wanted to get on with my day. It worked for me.

They stopped when I didn't give them any more power.

Everyone is different and so there are many different ways to deal with them. I took meds also.

Glad you're here there is a lot of good info on the boards
  5. ngoward

ngoward New Member

Chris No your not a nut I also have anxiety attacks, they are much better most days then in the passed I take cymbulta and adivin it helps so much. I know what you mean about hiding in your bedroom I was also doing that but have forced myself to come out it is a challange to go out in public I take the adavin prior to going out and that gets me through getting things done that I have to leave home to do.
  6. doni_brat

doni_brat New Member

Yep I've had them since '81
  7. spacee

spacee Member

I just posted on your depression thread about GABA that is sold here. That really helps with panic too. I would love to see what your norephrine levels are. I bet they are sky high.

Bless your heart.

8. hensue

hensue New Member

Can I give my son Gaba if he is taking zoloft and effexor? Where do you buy Gaba and how much do you use?
    I know this is so hard on people. What the heck causes it?
    Thanks give me all the info you can
  9. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

You are not a "nutt" and you're not "lazy".

I've had these on and off all my adult life. (I'm 63 yrs.) I've taken many different meds. to control them. Xanax helped me most. I've been in counseling several times for long periods of time.

This diagnosed Anxiety Disorder (Panic Disorder) is a horribly debilitating condition. Most of my life, I've been only able to work part-time jobs or not at all.

I found as I took control of my life and my well-being in many areas, my anxiety attacks greatly lessened in frequency and intensity. It has been about finding my personal power.

At present I'm not on meds. for the attacks and I'm handeling things fairly well. I once didn't even leave my home because of the fear of an attack.

A psychiatrist once told me that Anxiety attacks tend to lessen as we get older. I think this is true, at least from my own experience.

My heart goes out to anyone who deals with this thing. It's awful.

I hope you'll find your way to healing.

Hugs, Fay
  10. hensue

hensue New Member

He met the physcologist when i was up there a couple of weeks ago. He liked her a lot she has been doing this 25 years. He ask the physciatrist where she would go if she had social phobia. She recommended this doc in NC. She told him about hiimself before he could and he thought at first she was reading his mind.

She is starting CBT not this monday but the next he is on effeor and zoloft.

Have you ever read about social phobia I am an extrovert. She said my Dad more than likely might have had social phobia he was an alcoholic. I can see that now.
    It is debiliating it is an intense fear you are being judged or look at and the panic sets in and you cannot think rationally.

She explained it to me as a state of flight and fight fear from the time you get up till the time you go to bed.

He is going to the gym on the treadmill he has gain a tremendous amount of weight on all these AD,s.

I have given him my vitamins to take but I dont think he takes thim.

I wonder well i have been reading if he needs to go to an endocrinologist first and have all his blood levels tested. I have read if your testosterone is low you can have this problem.
    I am just not sure where to take him. He has been to the family gp he says he is fine.
    He craves sugar on or of the anti depressants and I men puts sugar on sugar cereal.
    That is weird to me I wonder if he may be hypoglycemic.
    Can this kind of doc test for all of those?
    Thanks jammin got to keep on till i help this boy live his life. Not be a shut in and lose his baby and wife.
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I started having severe anxiety attacks a few years ago. Looking back, I guess even when I was in my teens there were times I had anxiety and did not realize it. Anyway, I was so lucky to stumble on a cure in my case. I had insomnia at the same time (still do) and the doctor gave me Restoril. It worked like magic to stop the anxiety. Even though I took it for sleep, it helped me the next day. I don't use Restoril now, but just using it for a short while stopped the attacks.