Anxiety Attacks Are Getting Really Bad Now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Apr 15, 2006.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I have been having these anxiety attacks for quite a while now but they seem to be getting worse.Any kind of stress makes me really nervous.
    My stomach gets knotted and I get ssooooo HOT that I feel as though I am going to go on fire.
    Any sudden noise makes me panic.I have breathing problems like I am hyperventilating and I dont know how to help myself.
    And if I have any personal problems like a friend upsetting me I get in a terrible state and cannot calm down at all.
    I also have a problem with mild OCD and things have to be exactly right or it annoys me until it is.
    I am already on anti-depressants (7 years now)but they dont help with this.

HELP!!!!

Rena
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I am there too. (See yesterday's post asking how people cope with extreme anxiety/depression). Have you tried 5HTP? I found it very helpful but it caused my BP to spike. I already had BP problems and I understand that it can affect those of us who are inclined that way.

I am under severe stress right now and am not handling it well. My stomach and chest get in tight knots and I feel that my head is on fire. I overreact to sudden noises too and am at a loss as to what to do.

So I am of little help to you. Sorry! Just want you to know that you are not alone!

(((HUGS)))Pepper

P.S. I have been drinking wine this afternoon and it is helping. When all else fails.....
  3. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Rena, have you tried taking Xanax? What about listening to some calming music (like those used for massage)

The other night my 28 year old son kept telling me to dial 911 & was telling me he couldn't breathe & his back & chest was hurting really bad. He was pouring bottled water on his head & was walking around outside, telling me he loved me (like he was about to die) He has had these for years & when he would do this, it would trigger a panic attack for me. Now I have learned that, he just needs me to be calm & calm him down. After a Xanax & some calming music, he calmed down & went to bed.

The first time this happened, a few years ago, I did call 911 & went to the hospital with him. After all those expensive tests they do to rule out anything major, like a heart attack or collapsed lung (he's had collasped lungs before), they said he was having an anxiety attack & told him to go see his regular Dr. Now he is on an antidepressant (when he takes it) That is his problem, he is out again & has not taken it in about 3 weeks. Plus his life is like one of the soap opreas or Jerry Springer! If he would just get rid of all the women he tries to keep, that would eliminate most of his problems.

OOps, sorry I didn't mean to go on about my son, but I think his problems are why I am so sick. My mom always told me, he would be the death of me & I'm am starting to believe he will be...

Marilyn
  4. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hyperventilation can bring on some of the symptoms of panic attacks. Supposedly, just knowing that you are hyperventilating chronically will help you stop. I've been very mindful of it lately and it is a huge problem. when I feel panic, I slow my breathing and try not to "overbreath." I feel for you, this is hard! Diane
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I feel like a bag of nerves a lot of the time. I am constantly doing stuff like checking my pulse, worrying about everything, thinking I am about to drop into a coma or worse.

I usually snap myself out of it but really all I do is shove it on the back burner.

I think this DD makes me anxious all the time due to tiredness. Gee I vac one rug and feel like I was hauling elephants about.

I want ME(the person not the DD LOL) back for sure. I think I get these anxious things when I start taking the SSRI's even the tiny dose. It does help with pain and sleep but I think this nervousness is after effects. Even Tylenol seems to make me more nervous. What do you think?

Love Anne C

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
  6. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Thanks for replies!
    I feel bad for you all having similar problems!!

PEPPER.I laughed when you said you had been on the wine! Lol.
    I drink wine every night and it is about the only time that I feel really relaxed.My anti-depressants that I am on are supposed to contain something like that 5htp but I am getting no relief from them.

I am actually drinking my red wine now....it is 11,00 pm here in England so I am relaxed right now lol.
    I have always felt that I was bi-polar but I have never been to my docs about it.How did you get diagnosed????
    Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this because I dont know what to do.

Marilyn...
    I really feel for you having these problems with your son!I know that the calming music is a great help and also that you being calm will help him to calm down.
    If He is not taking his meds then he will have problems!
    Tell him you need him to take them so that you will both feel better.
    I hope things get better for you.

Rena

7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

same symptoms and sometimes I can't tell them apart,so I just put on my sunglasses,darken the bedroom and turn off the tv.It helps calm me down.It might help for you too.Linda
  8. fizzfizzus

fizzfizzus New Member

I have had panic disorder for 25 years and ocd for 5. I know this sounds to easy to work but it does. When I get a panic attack I tell myself this is just a panic attack I have been through this before. It doesn't feel great but it will end if I just wait it out. Then that's what I do. I try to find soemthing to distract my attention call a friend, watch some thing on tv, read,ect. At one time I even made a list of things I could do during a panic attack. At first it was hard, now it is much easier. I get the problems breathing and chest pains also. It's not always easy but reminding myself this is a panic attack, I know what it feels like and that it can't last forever helps me to stay as calm as possible.
  9. mrpain

mrpain New Member

This may not mean anything to anybody but reading this thread has been a great help. It helps me understand what I've been going thru that I could never put into words..

On top of having fibromyalgia, cfs, & sleep apnea, I now understand why I also get the way I get, and that it is called anxiety attacks. Along with sensory overload, including distracting smells, sounds, and lights, I'm plegged with anxiety..

Feeling bad all the time and fatigued is only half my battle. It's also the mental anguish that comes with this disease, and part of that must be the anxiety part that I could never understand.. Is there any supplements or vitamins that can help with this?
  10. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Bumping for any more help??
    Esp for mrpain!
  11. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

I got to where I couldn't hardly go out of my house. Then I read a book called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes.

She explains what causes panic/anxiety attacks in a way you can understand so that you are no longer frightened of them. Once you understand what is causing them (a vicious fear-adrenaline-fear cycle)she tells you how to deal with them.

Basically, your nerves become oversensitized so that everything sets them off and you become afraid because you can't understand what is causing it.

It is an excellent book. It really helped me and I'm sure it can help others who suffer from these attacks.

Good Luck :)
  12. Mugrat

Mugrat New Member

Hi, Rena,
    I'm new to this site but well experienced with the yuks of CFS. I'm lucky to lead what appears to everyone except close friends and family to be a pretty normal life. I just feel rotten some days/weeks. Have got expert at covering up but pay for the effort by occasionally having major relapses. Bad body health times have been accompanied by really horrible anxiety too so I feel for you. There's not an easy cure but like I found dear old Dr Weekes' books "Self Help for your Nerves" and "More Help for your Nerves" really comforting the first time I was very bad. Even recently, 13 years later, when I found myself going through a really bad health patch again I groped for the books. Reading them is like having your granny sitting with you explaining what you're going through, and giving you permission to feel as you do and helping you through it.
    Do whatever you need to feel even moments of peace. Best wishes.
  13. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I know when it happens that it is a bad anxiety attack and I know that it will not kill me but I cannot stop it.

My hubby says I have to go and see my doc because it is getting out of control now and I am ssooooo jumpy all the time that I know I have to get it sorted before I get worse!

I hope you all feel ok today!!!!!!Stay cool!!

Rena
  14. catsrock157

catsrock157 New Member

I am on disability because of GAD (general anxiety disorder) and my panic was in such a bad state when I was diagnosed that I couldn't leave the house and my ex-husband had to haul me bodily to the doctor's office. I now see the medication I am on for panic attacks is also used to help fibro patients sleep (clonazepam i.e., klonopin).

Also, I have read that it is very common for certain illnesses/conditions to ride piggy back with the fibro, anxiety disorders being one of them.

My doctor told me years ago that if I had a broken arm I wouldn't put off coming to him for treatment..so I should feel no shame coming to him for any thing that was making me so incredible miserable, after all, the brain is part of the body and can have problems with it too. He said I had been suffering needlessly.

I am much better now. I still can't work, but I can function, and am not totally agoraphobic anymore. I can even travel if it's not raining!. LOL! And the night terrors have stopped totally.

See a doctor and describe your symptoms. I bet they will be very well versed on what you are going through and will be able to help.

good luck and hugs

catsrock157
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can be one of the symptoms of a mild state of seizure in the brain, especially if one also suffers from sensory overload, insomnia, RLS, racing brain, tinnitus, or muscle spasms.

When my psychologist and I found that my anxiety/panic attacks were not psychologiacl in nature, we decided that taking Klonopin, and antiseizure med, was indicated. It was a God send for me.

Like all meds, Klonopin has side effects and should be carefully evaluated before taking. Dr. Cheney believes if the seizure state is not addressed, we are at danger of premature neuron death. He thinks Klonopin protects the neurons.

Love, Mikie
  16. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

My psychologist says that people with

My psychologist says the we people with CFIDS have been on adrenolin highs (flight or fight) until we have broken the adrenal gland. I have found a few calming techniques like journaling or gardening or reading something really good but ativan or Klonipin do a lot more for me. Talk therapy really helps too if you can afford it. I go to a not-for-profit clinic that you pay according to your income. Once your adrenaline gets going you can't always get it down without talking to someone or taking a ativan or klonipin.

17. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Does there seem to be a trigger for these attacks? Try keeping a journal of what exactly is going on around you, and in your mind, when these happen. I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and what you describe is very familiar. I was on sedatives for a while, and am getting therapy. My PTSD is the result of 2 violent rapes when I was a teenager, but the disorder didn't show up until 9/11 here in the states when I suddenly felt vulnerable (I live just outside Washington, DC). So it could be from something that happened years ago. Just try to keep focused. That will help.

God Bless!
  18. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I think that when we get fibro we also get sooo much stress that our bodies cannot cope sometimes!!

I never used to be so edgy and jumpy until last year and now I feel as though I cant get it under control.
    My OCD is not too good right now and that puts me under more pressure.

It is getting me down and is also affecting my marriage but I am going to try to find ways to cope.

I wish you all stress free days!!
    Esp unicornk....you have suffered MAJOR stress in your life...so I hope things get better for you.

Take care
    Rena

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2006]
  19. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

20. MamaZoe

MamaZoe New Member

Rena,
    I am a big fan of aromatherapy. I attended a seminar last fall and was hooked. I am unable to take medications as by body rejects or reacts in very bad ways to them. So, most of the time I am on my own and it has been very challenging. Funny how my body will accept natural healing. Young Living Essential Oils has a blend oil called Peace & Calming. I use it alot when I start to get anxious and it settles me right down. I also use it to fall asleep at night. It has a wonderful smell and you can defuse it in your home, car, office, etc. My mother has become a great fan of it and I even use it to calm and relax my horses down when we travel so they can be comfortable. I will be happy to share more information with you if you would like.
    Blessings,
    Mama Zoe