Anxiety Attacks - Symptoms and Cures

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I had another anxiety attack when I got to my office this morning.

The morning started out to be wonderful... until I got here.

At home when I was getting ready, I was enjoying my cup of strong black coffee and was in high spirits. I had a wonderful drive here and I even enjoyed the short walk into the building (which I have been dreading every single day for the past several months.)

This "attack" came on all of a sudden, they are usually the same for me, mimicking heart attack symptoms. I get a dull pain in my jaw and then in my chest.

I always hurry and take aspirin - or two depending on the dosage I have on hand, then half a hydrocodone and half an xanax. I also try to do some deep breathing and sit for a bit. Usually, these go away as quickly as they begin but it is still frightening...and annoying.

I tried to do a search on this here on the site but "found no results".
    Would you mind sharing your anxiety attack symptoms and how you "handle them"?

Thank you and God Bless,
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I can feel an anxiety attack coming on 15 minutes before it's full blown. I first started having anxiety attacks when I became very very ill in 2003, mostly because I was living alone and 3 hours away from family and close friends. It was pretty scary. When they first started I couldn't think about anything stressful or upsetting without having an attack.

For me, I found a lot of it is mental control, learning to look for the signs of an attack. If I start getting dizzy or antsy I know an attack is possible so I try to distract my mind and think about things that made me happy that day or good things coming up and it usually works. I can't take anxiety medications or anti-depressants because they really mess with my head and create another set of scary situations so this is the only way I can gain control.

I haven't had a full blown panic attack in at least 4 years. Calming the mind and looking for signs of a possible attack are the only thing that help me but you have to have happy thoughts readily available to stop the attack.

hth! Shananegans
  3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I didn't mention this but there are times I have these attacks and I am excited or thinking of GOOD things that are happening! They don't come along when I am only anxious or stressed about negative things. It's like the adrenalin in my body has super surged and put my system on overload or something.

The good this is when I take the meds to help calm down they work very quickly.
    The not so good thing is I have to deal with the effects of the meds...and this is pretty difficult when I am at work!

4. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Oh boy! I'm so sorry to hear that you have them either way! A friend of mine has this too, if she gets too excited, good or bad, she has an attack. She carries an inhaler. It's kind of like her security blanket and it's the only thing that calms her back down. Her worst symptom in her attacks is the not being able to breathe so it's almost like her mind thinks she has asthma and panics. She doesn't have asthma and she knows it but then inhaler gives her a sense of security and stops the attack. This was per the recommendation of her doctor who has another patient with the same issue, just overexcitability. Apparently it works.

Maybe you could try the inhaler? Or talk to you doctor about trying it?

Hope things get better! I know anxiety can definitely frustrate life.
  5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

taking a deep breath and hold it in for a moment and release.

Anxiety/Panic Attacks can be frightening since they come on so quick.

Has your doc ever prescribed celexa along with your xanax ?
    When you see your doc again, maybe you can ask if celexa also helps relieve severe anxiety along with your xanax.

Hope you find more ideas of dealing with Anxiety, my thoughts are with you as i know this is a rough road.

Wish you well

6. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

8. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Hello caledonia,

Thanks for the search pointers! You're right, they should work on this area of the board.

Sometimes I get in a hurry and and don't explain myself very well or don't give a full version of my thoughts.

I have tried many, SSRI's and for some reason I do not tolerate them. The side effects are horrible for they are out. Years ago I was able to take Celexa... for awhile...until my hair started falling out. My Dr. told me I should discontinue taking this.

Going "the natural route" sounds like something I should try - thanks for the information on this.

I take the aspirin "just in case" it's a heart attack..and to be honest probably more to put my mind at ease! The hydrocodone I take for the chest pains and the xanax of course to "calm down".

I do sit quietly and do deep breathing when this is happening. You are right, sometimes these only last ten minutes or so if that. I must say that breathing into a paper bag isn't for me though, doing this seems to make me feel worse.

The GOOD news is...I just had an EKG yesterday and my heart apparently is fine! So that's a worry "off my chest!" :)

I don't drink coffee every day, just happened to have had a cup last time.

Not sure if I stated that I can have these in the morning when I'm taking a shower, thinking about my work day or it can happen when I'm shopping, driving, just whenever.

I had wondered about chemical exposure because I would swear when I clean with bleach this is more likely to happen.

Thanks again for your reply!

9. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Thanks for the info, glen. I had never heard of POTS so am not at all familiar with this and plan to check out the website.

10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You mention that you had a "strong black coffee" before heading out to work. Caffeine is one cause of anxiety/panic attacks. They don't always occur immediately upon drinking the coffee, but a little while later. You might want to cut all caffeine from your diet for a month or two and see if the attacks go away. My mom and I both have this problem with caffeine.