anxiety disorder? help please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by needanap, Aug 19, 2003.

1. needanap

needanap New Member

Does anyone take medication for anxiety? If so, what kind? I don't have "anxiety attacks", I'm am a constant worrier, have tried several anti-depressents with no luck. They put me more on edge. any advice?

Thank you
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I take one of Dr. Bachs flower remedies called "Rescue Remedy". It is supposed to be safe and have no side effects, but each person should be cautous. I just put 4 drops under my tongue, and after a while things don't seem so bad. It does not make one sleepy and is not addictive.
    I get it at the health food store. Check with your doctor. good luck.
    Oh, I rarely have panic attacks. I do, however get depressed and also suffer from an anxious stomach. It helps with both.
    Also, whenever I find myself worrying, I take a deep breath and think:CANCEL!, and turn my mind away. I don't know what it is, but the worry dissipates enough for me to go on to other things and let go.
    Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2003]
  3. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

I take 30mgs/day of Buspar. Worked miracles for me. Quit drinking, lost 20lbs, dropped my cholesteral by 22pts and I've been working at getting into shape. I also improved my sleeping habits. Doc thinks I need a low dose of anti-depressant yet (I agree) but we've been taking things real slow. Have to be careful with over the counter meds (and "naturals" too I'm sure) because they can affect how it works.

Bob

Forgot to mention I've never had problems with panic or anxiety attacks either, just a constant feeling of having the "Heebie Jeebies"[This Message was Edited on 08/19/2003]
  4. jofla

jofla New Member

for my anxiety. I get full blown panic attacks tho if I am not careful, they just kind of sneak up on me. I have been taking xanax for a few years now low dose .25 to .5, just depends how i am feeling that day. Hope that you can find something that can help you.

Jo
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Magnesium and calcium are nature's relaxants. Sounds like you might be short in that area. Are you eating alot of processed foods, theat will cause alot of anxiety too. Zero junk food will definitely help you.

Marilyn :)
  6. bamboo

bamboo New Member

hi there. i do have an anxiety disorder, ptsd. i take trazodone and diazepam each day before bedtime. i tried buspar a long time ago, but was unable to tolerate it. i take xanax, as needed. i also take prazosin, which is for blood pressure (but is ineffective, according to the cardiologist) officially, but is being used in a study for people with ptsd. it has side effects, but is also the only thing that has significantly enhanced my ability to temper anxiety on a steady level. i also find counseling very therapeutic. my best advice would be to make sure you are seeing a dr. who is very knowledgeable about anxiety disorders; i've found primary care docs aren't. good luck to you!
  7. needanap

needanap New Member

Thanks so much for all the replies. I wouldn't wish this DD on anybody, but it's great to have folks who don't mind sharing experiences.

Thanks again!!!!!!
  8. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I was going through a VERY stressful time a year ago (also, I hadn't been diagnosed with FM yet). I thought I was having anxiety attacks. I tried buspar, and it calmed me down but zapped the life out of me. I felt so blah I couldn't stand it, so I quit after one week. I tried counseling and breathing techniques. Then one night I ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack and finally learned I had acid reflux disease. I've been taking protonix for that ever since and voila! no more "panic attacks". It was acid reflux all along. Yes, I'm still tense, but the panicked feeling is gone. Maybe that's your problem, too. Who knows?
  9. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Wow, I had just checked and read my email before logging on here. The first topic that I saw was this. Funny I had just read a email from Flylady about anxiety attacks. It boiled down to that most forms of anxiety are just things you haven't done, nagging at you. Well, I sure have several of these (anxiety attacks/things not done). I am going to see if these attacks come along when I thinking of the things I have not done. If your not familar with Flylady, she sends email to help you keep up with housework. I love it since I do get distracted so much.
  10. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

Effexor - 150 mg daily
    Gabatril - 6 mg daily (split dose)
    Klonopin - as needed (I try to use it sparingly)
  11. janana

janana New Member

I have the same problem with most anti-deppressents. Oxzapam reieves my anxiety and hels alot with the muscle pain and sleeping. Ask your doc.
  12. marta

marta New Member

Like you, I can't tolerate antidepressants and Klonopin which helps many made my hair thin. Now I take Xanax at bedtime and find that 1/2 a 25 mg tablet when I turn the light out, then the other half during the night helps me sleep and seems to help my anxiety IF my life is not too hectic or too far out of my comfortable rut.

It also helps me to go inside and repeat an affirmation from Louise Hay's book, Heal Your Body. I say: "Everything I need to know is revealed to me. Everything I need comes to me. All is well in my life." This helps me as much as anything during the day.

Marta
  13. spudzy

spudzy New Member

I also have panic attacks that started after having surgery and was really given lots of drugs....did not really know what they were until I had 3 attacks...I now can not travel, go to church nor do I handle restraurants very well...I am trying to take 1/4 -1/2 of a .025 Xanax if I have to go some place or to a meeting...I guess what I do the most is avoid what I know will cause me to have an attack...I am also going to therapy and have gone 3 times, do not know if this will help or not, but can hurt to try...the panic attacks are really worse than FM...when they hit, you can not control them....and it is really the most horrible experience I have had...good luck..