Anxiety meds?? Please resond

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Jul 8, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

What, excluding anti depressants (can't tolerate, and don't want it) works for your anxiety? Mine is PTSD that I had since toddlerhood.

It seem that I am in a weak spot right now ans tolerate anxiety less effectively, so I am considering asking my doc for some help.

I have used Xanax in the past and it worked really well. I am just thinking that back then I was not driving, on the other hand I didn't really get drowsy (low doses), just calm.

Any experience with this, or advice, what have you tried?
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I personally, have stuck with the "tried and true" xanax for my anxiety. Nothing else works like that on me. If I'm only taking a very low dose during the day, then driving has not been a problem. I only take a little higher dose at night to help with sleep.

If that has worked well for you in the past, then I'd try that first by all means.

Good Luck,
    MrsJ
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I think you're right. See what that anxiety does,,,I should have thought of that,,LOL!
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Hi dearie....sorry that you are having this...but I can relate.

I have taken xanax many years ago for anxiety. It worked real well, but after Fm and the sensory nerve damage...I find that klonopin works so well. I take a small dose .05 mg at bedtime, and if needed, I take one for anxiety.

I didn't realize just how well it was working until last week. I was going to try the cymbalta (for FM pain) and one pill threw me into anxiety attack. I was having racing heart and shortness of breath. I was so scared...but, I thought before calling EMS I would try a klonopin. I took one and tried to relax and within minutes I could feel it start to calm me. I can't tell that I take it other than it relaxes me. A higher dose would make me sleepy.

I think either would work well.

Mari
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Wonderful to hear from you! I appreciate the info about Klonopin. You never know what insurance companies says yey or nay to.

So you are trying Cymbalta. Have you stopped them because of your reaction? That is a pretty strong reaction, so I would understand if you did.

It difficult to find meds that have acceptable side effects, or none at all, then they have to do their intended job as well.

I hope you can find something that works, please drop a line sometime and let me know how things are going.

Many hugs,

Lena
  6. MamaR

MamaR New Member

So good to hear from you. I hope that things are going good for you and those precious children.

No....I stopped the cymbalta immediately. My rheumy wanted me to try it for the pain. I was in doubt since I can't tolerate any antidepressant. I have tried so many. I can't experiment anymore.
    He agreed that I shouldn't take it.

I was only trying it because of this extreme nerve pain in my back and legs. I am not depressed unless it is from my life being put on hold. If I could half way function I would be happy.
    Like I told the doc, I have no quality of life at this point. I am planning on seeing a neurologist soon. I need to find some help with this pain.

Love....Mari
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Lenasvn, I agree with others that Xanax helps. I don't take it every day. But some days I take it more than once. For me it is the perfect med to just take the edge off when I start getting those anxious feelings. It helps when I have to be in a social situation and am feeling jumpy. It helps when I know I have to rest, but I can't make myself relax with tea or prayer or meditation.

I never have side effects and if I just take a small dose, I don't get sleepy. I really hate to have to recommend drugs, but some of us can't do things naturally. Best of luck to you.

Lolalee
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

cymbalta was bad for me..made verythig worse...depression...nothing helped any of my pain...gained weught...racing heart,,flushing...sweating allover...

but you have to remember we are all different..

jodie
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lenasyn:

I like Klonopin, although it is listed as only being used for seizures and panic attacks.

Good med, though.

nyrofan
  10. hanna4175

hanna4175 New Member

i too was diagnosed with PTSD two and a half years ago..i have had it since toddlerhood myself..bad childhood!! i take alprazolam (xanax) i have been on it for many years and i find it works..it helps me sleep when i am totaly exhausted..without it i shake really bad sometimes..i find it gives me quite the appetite..does this happen to you??
  11. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It's a few years since I took Xanax, but I don't remember hunger bells ringing from it. Maybe they did,,,fibro fog,,,LOL! It must not have bothered me much if I don't remember. I was drinking alot of Kefir and Yogurt back then, and that helped to still any hunger signals between meals.

I have dealt with my anxiety and maybe there have been depression too for most of my life-without meds. Something weird happened to my system after my first pregnancy, and it never seemed to go back to normal. That's when I tried Xanax for a few years. I haven't taken any for 11 years now, but I seem to be in a place in my life where my body needs help to handle the anxiety.

many thanks!

12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

A neurologist is probably a good idea. Nerve pain is not pleasant at all, I know.

I was going to write a long response, but my brain is pooped already this early. I better resort to a silent nod.

I hope this neuro can help you, many of us have went to many docs and don't want to go anymore, or tell our medical history one more time(- and not be heard?).

Hugs

13. libra55

libra55 New Member

Klonopin has been the way to go for me, and I have just started an AD (Tofranil). I can't say enough good things about the Klonopin, and I am hoping good things for the Tofranil. It is one of the older (tricyclics) AD's. Like Elavil. Which I had good luck on 25 years ago. The SSRI's don't work for me. I have tried them all.

Good Luck

Michelle