Anxiety or is it cortisol from Adrenal exhaustion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AllWXRider, Dec 17, 2006.

1. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I finished another great book about the Adrenal glands.
    "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by James Wilson N.D.

Us CFS sufferers, are stressed out at just trying to live. The adrenal glands help us tremendously to cope with stress. Mice, whose adrenal glands had been removed, DIED when exposed to mild stress. Cortisol is a stress hormone that helps us cope by strengthening the pulse, raise BP, shut down digestion and tells the liver to release extra glucose for energy. The adrenals, under continuous stress, will get exhausted and people do collapse.

I think that my "anxiety" is really just high cortisol levels. My bloodwork did show that the cortisol was high.

Dr. Wilson does a great job of keeping it simple but has some chapters at the end where he gets into the M.D. detail of what going on.

Rest, no caffiene, Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) are starters.

Amazon carries it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-21st-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/sr=1-1/qid=1166404143/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8013530-8852662?ie=UTF8&s=books
  2. FibroFoggiest

FibroFoggiest New Member

Thank you for this. I think My adrenals have been working overtime for a long time. It all fits. I suffer terrible anxiety almost all the time. It, alone, is incapacitaing at times.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I wrote a post called "Adrenal support and exhaustion" a couple of weeks ago and am bumping it up.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Allwxrider - thank you for the post - it's very good.

If cortisol levels are high, it is important to bring them down. There's a supplement called Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which is very effective in reducing high cortisol levels. It helped me a great deal when I started taking it a few years ago.

Untreated high cortisol levels can lead to catabolic processes, in which the body breaks down its own muscle and tissue for energy, which of course is not a good thing. It also causes insomnia and chronic anxiety.

One's cortisol levels should be tested before taking Seriphos, however, because if they're not high, they will go too low taking the Seriphos.

I had my cortisol levels checked through Clymer Healing Research in Pennsylvania. We did everything by mail and e-mail and phone.

Mary