Anxiety over going back to work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shaz73, Jul 17, 2008.

1. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

After five years of not being able to work due to fatigue, depression and anxiety, I am now ready (as I'll ever be!) to go back to part time work. However, I am finding it quite anxiety inducing, which I guess isnt surprising given what a big step it is.

Have an interview in just over a week and I am hoping that I can keep my anxiety to manageable levels. The things that I usually do to cope only seem to help up to a point: drinking herbal teas, baths, relaxing music, rescue remedy pastilles. Having recently become a christian also helps but still.......... Any one got any suggestions/offer similar experiences?

Thanks for reading.

2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

What kind of work do you do? I am in direct care and I went back gradually after being on SSI.

For some reason I felt as if I should go into this particular agency and it turned out my friend worked there, which I didn't know, and her sister, who both have FMS.

They started me out gradually. I hope the same for you.

But, I always disclosed the FMS on the applications and today it was used against me.

After 20+ years in the field, I injure my knee and have been involved in work. comp. They claim it was the Fibromyalgia. So, that is one thing to consider when applying and during the interview, whether to be honest about it or not.

I wish you the best!
  3. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I previously worked in the clerical/admin field and will be going back to something similar. Definitely part time though.

4. Agent146

Agent146 New Member

at how all the skills you once knew come flooding back and if you take it slowly you will be ok
  5. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

This may sound kind of silly - but one way that I deal with my anxiety is to carry something in my purse that is important to me. I know it's there and no one else has to.

I have a small crucifix (which used to be on a necklace) that gives me strength. Being a Christian - I'm sure you understand the relevance.

Good luck!

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just returned to work part time but not in the same field. The anxiety is normal. I just did whatever I had to to push through it. As you interview and search, it should get easier.

I had a real career before but am just doing a job now. I'm cashiering at a grocery chain because the stress level is low, the hours can be adjusted to my needs, I can get off whenever I want to, and I don't bring the job home with me. Even though, conisdering my education and experience, I am underemployed, I had anxiety learning new things on the job.

The comfort level will come. Just give it time and try to realize that even "normal" people have anxiety in hunting and doing new jobs. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  7. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

for the supportive posts, guys. I do actually wear a necklace with a cross on it, cookie, and it does help. Realising that I am not alone in this and that others understand also helps.

Mikie - Yeah looking for work/changing jobs can be stressful for everyone. I know that I CAN do it, so just have to push through the anxiety about it. Sometimes I give myself a hard time for things that are completely understandable. Being hard on yourself doesnt help though, does it?

And if all else fails, I pray about it....

8. landra

landra New Member

is to tense your muscles then relax. If you do the whole process, practise now for next week.

Start with your toes - point like a ballerina on toe shoes. Concentrate on the tension, then release. Then bend your ankle the other way, pulling your toes toward your shins, again concentrate on how it feels, then relax. for the rest: press knees together for thighs, tighten your bottom, then pretned to hold urine for lower abdomen. Flatten your back against the floor for one direction, then arch your back for the other. Make a light fist with hands and bend wrist one way, then repeat with bending wrist the other way. For upper arms, "make a muscle" like a little kid. Lift shoulders and hold. Face includes yawn, then purse lips and push them out. "wiggle your nose" raise eyebrows, lower eyebrowns. then overall frown. For BEST results, repeat each tension 3 times before going on.

Once you have taught your body this way, then in tense situations you can tighten most of your body all at once and relax - even in public!
  9. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Thanks for your relaxation technique. I think I've done something similar when I used to go to meditation classes.

Actually feeling a lot more chilled about it today. Keep offering up my anxiety to God and have to remember that he is always with me. I CAN COPE WITH ANYTHING!

10. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

My anxiety around this seems to go up and down. At times I feel quite positive and then at others I get very tense and its like I am carrying that around in my body. Does anyone else know what I mean? This weekend its like my whole back and neck ache and I know its not purely physical. The only thing that really helps that is a warm bath and alcohol.

11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Going back to work after any period of time can be stressful. I remember going back after taking time off after my second son was born. I went back into a different field of work and it was very "corporate". I was scared to death and did a lot of the "what in the world have I done?"

Totally NORMAL - to be a little anxious over any new situation! Sometimes being a little nervous keeps us on our toes.

Like you said, you can do anything! Think of how strong we all are - we can endure more than the average person that's for sure!

Sometimes I don't like getting ready for work (who does?), but once I'm at the office, I like it. I love being around people. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment. Working does a lot for one's self-esteem. So if you're able, I think it's a great thing that you're going for it! I plan on working for as long as I'm able. It is SO important to enjoy what you're doing, and the people you're 'doing it with'. I don't go anywhere except for work, so it's my outlet.

Do a lot of praying for courage and strength. Think of a calming experience...watching the water flow over a waterfall... Practice your positive self-talk. Remind yourself of how fortunate they will all be to have you around.

You'll do great! Be proud of yourself. It's not easy to do anything new, but as I said, we are a very capable bunch!! Remind yourself of that.
    Good luck - keep us posted!
  12. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

Thanks for your post. Its encouraging to hear that others have overcome this anxiety in going back to work. And yeah, it is really good for the self esteem. Not working means I have too much time on my hands and that leads to thinking about my condition etc. Not a good thing....