Anxiety/Panic Attack

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Last week I spent five days in a psych unit because I had overreacted to a movie I had watched. I guess it hit some really sore spots and I just broke apart.

I'm home now, taking Klonopin twice daily, Flexeril when needed and Remeron at night before bed. The Klonopin sedates me and the Flexeril puts me out. I can't operate this way.

Does anyone else suffer from constant anxiety/panic attacks? What caused them and what meds did you take. Was therapy helpful at all in eliminating the attacks?

Thanks a bunch for your input.

Nancy
  2. tobyj

tobyj New Member

Most people who have anxiety attacks are too scared to admit they have these weird things that happen. I know my first one I felt like I must be going nuts........... and I suffer from clinical depression, which is under control but could not figure them out. Finally when they got out of hand I asked a dr. about them and he said nothing to worry about and put me on Xanax. They were gone for the most part, every once in awhile I will get one but there is nothing to get upset about they WILL pass, just work through them. I know that sounds easy, but do something you like and pretty soon it will pass. Sounds like they have you over medicated. That is a lot of pills for anxiety attacks. Ask your dr. about Busbarb or one of the newer ones. They are horrible and you feel so out of it, but they pass. Hope this has been helpful.
    Gerry
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I get them all the time. And there isnt a trigger involved everytime. Sometimes I just get them out of the blue.

I get severe ones where I cant breath, I cry sometimes and I feel like Im gonna go crazy.

Currently, I am taking Valium for anxiety. I only take it when I get an anxiety / panic attack. I do not take them regularly for prevention. I take 10 mg. and they do not sedate me. I have been on them for about 3 or 4 years now.

I was previously on Xanax, those worked well also. I exceeded the highest recommended dose though so I was detoxed off of them. They do have Xanax Xr (extended release).

I have tried Klonopin and Ativan also. Klonopin does nothing for me. The Ativan helps a little but not that well.

Once you get used to them, they dont have the sedating effect that makes you tired...they just make you relaxed. Give them time.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  4. chatteblanc

chatteblanc New Member

Dear Nancy,

Your experience is very much like mine, but when the first anxiety attack struck in my sleep, I stopped breathing and had to be hospitalized. When my physical difficulties (not breathing) were resolved I was put into the psych ward,and was given such a mishmash of meds, including Klonopin, Zyprexa, Ativan and several others, that I truly began having psychotic episodes. After five days I refused all medication, dismissed the shrink, and checked out. I have been treated for depression most of my life, but in this instance I was incorrectly diagnosed and the treatment just made things worse.

The best advice I can offer is that when you feel an attack beginning, stop breathing for a long as possible, then exhale very slowly. Repeat this five or six times and you will feel your pulse slowing down and the anxiety going away. I still don't know what causes mine, but I do take Zoloft and Xanax.

It is truly a frightening condition, and one I have lived with for years, but I find that the deep breathing helps, probably more than the medications, as I can do it at the first sign of trouble. I hope you find this of some help and I wish you good health and peace of mind.

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

I developed them after I was rushed to the emergency room with Artrial Fibs. Cognitive behavioral therapy has helped me a great deal, but ONLY in conjunction with medication.

The therapy has helped me "erase" old tapes that play inside my head and replace them with new, positive tapes that remind myself that I've experienced these sensations before, and I'll be just fine.

This has really curtailed the intensity of them - in fact, I never get full-fledged attacks anymore.

I'm on Klonopin twice a day, and Lexapro once a day.

The important thing for me to hear, over and over, was that this is a PHYSIOLOGICAL response that is not in my head. That's why the prescriptions are so important. It doesn't mean that working on the mental component isn't essential; it is!

It just means that, once it started, it didn't matter how many times I told myself it was okay, that nothing was really wrong. The body had already taken over.

Best of luck with negating their impact on your life. You can do it!

Callum
    Bill
  6. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Nancy,

I am so sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I get them myself and sometimes I just feel like dying..They take the wind out of my sails and they scare the byjimmaney out of my husband. I sometimes get them while I am sleeping and wake up tying to breath..it feels like someone has hit me in the chest with a big brick...I can't tell you what brings them on because I don't really know..I can be fine one minute and then WHAM! I am not able to catch my breath, my chest gets really tight and I feel like I am fighting for my life. I am on Xanax and Lexapro..the doctor really doesn't seem to touch much on this subject when I bring it up..all he says is that lots of women get them and its more women then men...Got me!!

I will be praying that your attacks stop, and you find the right combination of meds that work for you so that you don't have to go through this anymore.

God Bless you, and take care!

noahvale--Kathy
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Nancy -

I can understand your general anxiety, you've been though a lot in the past five years. Have you dealt with your husband's death with any counselling? I know it seems as if we could just get beyond things but it can be very helpful to have guidance and it doesn't have to be for years and years either.

I've had anxiety attacks, many years ago, and was put on Librium at the time. I don't see Librium used anymore though. Looking back at what I was taking (2 10 mgs every four hours) it's a wonder I could function but I did and I took it for a long time. Even then I had absolutely no trouble quitting the drug when I decided I didn't need it anymore.

The best thing I know of for anxiety now is Xanax. It is sedating and it can be addictive but it's an old, reliable drug without many side effects and a short half-life so it doesn't stay in your system as long as some others. It seems to me that doctors get sold, literally, on the new meds when the old reliables work just fine and are cheaper. In a combination with a bit of therapy, it could help you a lot.

Hang in there.

Marta
  8. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

i have had anxiety attacks since i was 16 and suffered a very bad trauma. my son had a seizure and a week later had an attack. i'm glad i was there for him because he was so scared.

i am on 1mg of ativan (generic lorazapam) 3 times a day.
    it really helps me, but everyone is different. i also take ambien to help me sleep.

it is very important to sleep because the attacks take so much out of you and the more you dwell on the attack the harder it is to sleep. i used to be up all night just freaked out cause i couldn't sleep and i couldn't stop being scared.

you would be surprised at how many people have these attacks. many are too afraid to do anything about it.

well take care and God Bless You!

9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I second the suggestion of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I know it has has a bad rap in some circles but it needs to be used properly. In conjuction with other therapies, it is a really helpful addition. My doctor has weekly group sessions and you can go as often as you like.

Kathy
  10. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I am so sorry to hear what you have just gone through. There is a program out there by Lucinda Bassett called Attacking Anxiety and Depression. I saw her on TV several years ago and watched with interest. I bought the program quite a few years ago. At that time it was a series of tapes and some books. The program is still out there as I have seen her on TV in the past year I believe. It would be more of a cognitive approach with some relaxation techniques and a tape to help relax you. I thought it was helpful. You might check it out on the web. I sure hope you can feel better soon.

Nancy
    (Lot's of us out there)
  11. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I'm taking Cymbalta for my depression. I understand that it's a SNRI, not SSRI. Not sure what the Remeron is.

I do have a therapist who I've been seeing since my husband died in 2000. She's wonderful and has helped me out a lot. I'm going to ask her Thursday (when I see her) if she does cognitive behavior therapy. Sounds like most of you suggest this form of therapy to deal with anxiety attacks.

It's been almost a week since I was released from the hospital. I've cut my Klonopin down to .25 mg. in the morning and the same in the afternoon, if I need it. And I'm taking the Flexeril before bed so I get some good sleep. I seem to be okay with those levels.

I was supposed to fly to Arkansas last Thursday to visit my daughter and her family, but had to cancel the trip because I just couldn't see myself handling the noise and stress of airports and flying. I miss them very much, but just don't know when I'll be up to making that kind of journey.

Hugs,
    Nancy
  12. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i hacve to agree with marta, xanax works great. there is nothing worse then the feeling of a panic attack. xanax works quickly and it doesn't make you too drowsy.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  13. tt_77

tt_77 New Member

Hi Nancy,

How old are you?

A lot of people don't know that anxiety attacks are part of perimenopause. I had to call 911 in January because I thought I was dying and I fell on the floor and couldn't move. This awakened me out of a sound sleep. I was under extreme stress and also beginning menopause. Stress will bring on Panic attacks. I feel dizzy every day and then I start to worry about what is wrong with me and I go into a panic attack. I do a lot of research on-line and I'm finding out that this is all natural for my age and the stress that I am under. I use a natural herb called Seredyn when I wake up in a panic attack and it calms me down within 15 minutes. I'm still looking for something natural that is not as expensive to help me sleep at night. I was thinking about trying "peaceful nights" and trying "Calm-Plex" during the day. I need to get some more information on mixing the 2 herbs and need to see if anyone else has been using these herbs.
    Good luck to you and hang in there. Think positive thoughts at all times.
    Karen