anxiety, Panic Does it always come with Fibromyalgia??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jan 10, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi All, I read on this board alot of you have anxiety / panic . I have it as well and it just comes out of nowhere. i can be just as calm as a cucumber and wamo it hits and all the weird symptoms start in heart starts racing, weird feeling in chest and head , tingling in hands and feet and surely feel like im going to die if I dont get help right away. I have fibro, arthritis, mitral valve prolaspe and a dig. of panic disorder and a host of other things. I do have xanax for it but had weaned myself down to just 1/4 o.5mg twice dailytab over the last year as I didnt feel as stressed and didnt think I needed so much. Guess I was wrong because I have had 4 attacks lately and even tho I know what they are they still scare me.But my question is it a fibro thing do all of those with fibro also have anxiety/panic? God Bless each one on this board , I try to always pray for your pain and troubles each day.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

No, anxiety does not always come with fibromyalgia.

I think it depends on the causative organism(s) of the fibromyalgia symptoms.

For instance, Bartonella and Bartonella-like organisms are known to cause anxiety and panic attacks.

See link, page 26......
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Everyone I have ever known with FMS has also had panic attacks. Our nervous systems are so out of whack.

Sue in Ontario
  4. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

I have fibro and a lot of anxiety. Not sure if it is caused by fibro but it does seem to run hand in hand with myself and others.
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

I am so sorry that is a horrible thing to go through. It sounds just like the horrible panic attacks my son use to have.

He has been with a physc who finally got him on effexor and trazadone at night.

I have seen people suffer with panic attacks and that has to be very scary. I am not the doc here so I could not really say.

I have found though I cannot say everything is fibro even though a lot of times it is.

Are you upset more than normal? It could be medication doing that to you also.

I would get checked by a doc just to be on safe side.

It sounds just like his panic attacks that would come out of nowhere. He would get dizzy, hyperventilate you know!

Take care and I will say my prayers for you that is a different kind of suffering.

I had a tinge of what I would call a panic attack coming off valuim but I knew why I was having it.
    Not fun.

Take care

let us know ok.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

My S-I-L has FM, and she doesn't suffer from anxiety or panic disorder. Do you drink a lot of coffee or colas? Caffeine can cause anxiety and panic disorder when drunk in large quantities.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

No, anxiety and panic attacks do NOT always come with fibro.

I have had fibro for many, many years and I have never had a panic attack and I do not suffer from anxiety.

A lot of people suffer from anxiety and have panic attacks, and some of these people may have fibro. But to say that those problems ALWAYS come with fibro is not a very accurate statement.

You mention that you have been diagnosed with panic disorder. I this this is what has happened to you.

If you have been having these panic attacks that often, I think you need to discuss it again with your physician.

I hope you get to feeling better.
  8. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I have them "on a whim".

Also, it was not incommon for me to have them when taking a shower in the a.m. or while getting ready for work. Just thinking about my work day brought them on. (No longer working so haven't had one in the shower for awhile)...but even now, sometimes I get them when I'm happy or excited about something too!

The first one sent me to the ER on the advise of a cardiologist because the symptoms I have mimmick a heart attack. Now when I have one, I chew an aspirin and take a xanax and say a prayer that I'm not having "the big one".

I agree with JLH. You really should consider discussing this with your physician.

9. georgiee0826

georgiee0826 New Member

My phycologist told me that everytime I have a panic acttack that it destroys brain cells. I don't take my clonzapan everyday, but if i know i'm going into situation that is stressful I take them. I don't need to lose any more brain cells!
  10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Have you had a cardiac eval recently? It's all too easy for docs to put symptoms such as those you are experiencing down to "panic attack," especially with a pre-existing fibro DX.

It's not uncommon for people with MVP to develop bouts of atrial fibrillation. The symptoms can be confused with those of panic attack, but the treatment is usually different & above all, A fib needs to be ruled out. That usually means wearing a halter monitor for cardiac events over a period of days to a week.

Best wishes.