anxiety/panic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by munchkin, Feb 21, 2003.

1. munchkin

munchkin New Member

HI All!

First of all, does anyone get anxiety or panic attacks with fibro? Does this go with it or is it separate?

Also,does anyone after doing housecleaning, raking etc. get pulls in there shoulders or chest areas or like a pull that takes long to go away?

Also, does anyone get spots on back of there heads that are real sore to the touch?(down by neck area).

Thanks,

Munchkin
  2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I get anxietal. I am just now beginning to address that with my drs. Told my gp today and she gave me a prescription for Zanax to take as needed.
    I believe there are supposedly 2 tender point spots on the back of the head area where you are describing your pain. Have you had a tender point examination by your dr?
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, yes, and yes!
    The panic is most common in the 75% of us who have Mitral Valve Prolapses (MVP). If you have not yet had an echocardiogram to determine if you have one, you should ask your doctor. Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan, Neurontin, Inderal and several other drugs can help with this, as can Yoga breathing exercises. Do a websearch for "Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome" and you will see that Fibro is included as one of the symptoms of it.
    The chest muscle soreness is most likely another thing we commonly get,called Costo Chondritis. You can find info on this in our archives here, or do a websearch. Heat often helps it, as well as rest, since it is a true inflammation. Shoulder pain is probably our most common complaint and you need to learn how much you can do of repetitive motions like raking, vacumming, etc. and stop just before you reach that point. Pacing is so important, and so hard to do!
    The sore spots on various places on the head, like a bad bruise, are things I have had, and have heard many others complain of, but I don't know what they are called. Unless you were hit on the head recently, they are probably a part of your Fibro and will pass.
    Hope this helps. Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2003]
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Anxiety/panic is definitely part of FM. I don't have the valve problem, but still have anxiety. I think it's because my nervous system is hyper-vigilant. I have had this problem all my life, so can't really blame it totally on FM,but it has gotten worse in the past 10 years. If you're 30 or over, you could also be experiencing peri-menopause, and this can also cause anxiety/panic due to estrogen/progesterone fluctuations. There's so many different causes of this disorder. Some get it just because of their stressful environment. You could also have an underactive thyroid, as a large percentage of FMer's do, and that also causes panic disorder. It's a process of elimination.

Marilyn :)
  5. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

Many doctors believe, and much research points to this fact, that FMS may be caused by a form of anxiety. Another med that is used with less problems than benzo's or SSRIs is Buspar.
  6. TurtleInaBox

TurtleInaBox New Member

Yes, yes and yes.

I can barely walk the day after i mow my lawn. i have really odd anxiety moments - really odd.

The pain on the back of my head is the strangest though....right where my skull is attached to my neck i get two painful spots - one on the right and one on the left.. they swell up and ache as if i have frost bite on that area... they are very sore to the touch.. and then they go away for a day or so... very strange. my doctor didn't freak out when i told her - she was like, okay - CFIDS pain... she felt them and stuff - but just like the other things - what can you do? nothing.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to our library and read Dr. Paul Cheney's article on Klonopin. It does an excellent job of explaining why we have sensory overload, anxiety/panic attacks, insomnia, RLS, and other problems.

Love, Mikie
  8. cariad

cariad New Member

I am currently having accupuncture on large lumps where the skull and spine meet-it has proved very useful..the treatment has been on-going for approx. 8 months. the pain has greatly eased. I hope this is of use. Good luck all.
  9. munchkin

munchkin New Member

hi!

Thanks for the info on fibro and Klonopin and all my other problems I had addressed! Take Care,

Munchkin
  10. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Thanks for the info on panic/anxiety and fibro! Helped me alot. Take Care.

Munchkin
  11. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Thanks for the info about the library!! New here so I don't know exactly how things work.

Thanks,

Munchkin
  12. starstella

starstella New Member

are probably trigger points. Physical therapy or massage therapy by someone familiar with trigger points can help with that problem.