Anxiety, sensitivity, sadness, I'll explain more

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am not sure if this is the "personality profile" of some of us FM/CFS'ers or is it just a separate thing with people. What I'm trying to say is this, I am so highly sensitive to my surroundings.

If something slighly bad happens at work, at home, with friends, even strangers, my sadness, anxiety, fatigue and pain levels can shoot through the roof. This is not good. I wish I could have a harder shell about me, but I don't. I think the medical term for this would be "highly reactive", but not necessarily in a nasty way, my "reactive" is not to become mean or nasty, but just "blah, sad, or maybe despondent or indifferent.

My condition flares up, that's what can make me angry. Although, my pain and fatigue is chronic no matter what, these situations can put me in a "funk" for days until I can somehow work it out within myself.

I was a little afraid to bring this topic up becaue I am not suggesting, in any way, that our conditions are psychological, I know they are not.

The hard thing to process is this, everyone has disappointments in life, whether we are rejected by someone in some way, or a job loss, or family issues, but with a chonic condition, like ours, it just seems like such a triple whammy.

We cannot keep ouselves hidden from life's disappointments, although, sometimes I feel like doing just that. I am always trying to "protect" myself from getting hurt feelings because I know my condition will get worse under these circumstances, but we can't live in a bubble either. Any comments, suggestions and just any input at all? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Chelz, it is soooo weird that you brought this up just now because i have just discovered a book called The Highly Sensitive Person't Survival Guide but Ted Zeff, PH.D

It describes me to a T!!! A highly sensitve person is sensitive to noise,scents, lights, or are overwhelmed by crowds, and time pressure or cant screen out stimulation. 15 to 20% of the population are considered highly sensitive!!

Does this mean that because I am highly sensitive, I was a sitting duck to get fibromyalgia? Did my nervous system wear out and now i have fibro???

There are other books on this topic by this author and Elaine N. Aron, PH.D

Check this out! It sounds so much like me, my dad, my nephew....and maybe you, too!
  3. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Are we more apt to have CFS or FM because we're sensitive or are we sensitive because we have it? Probably both.

I have to be careful with dramas, too, glenp. I say, hmmm, great drama I want to see where they'll be noise and movement and I'll get sad and mad, or HGTV watching people sand and paint walls? HGTV it is. ;)

I also cry at nature shows, go figure. Even commercials can be too much, muted.

I'm too uptight about time to lose it!

But my biggest problem is irritability. I get anxious and irritable at the slightest things. If I tell people I know, they say, but you're so calm. I say, that's because I'm tired! But I am careful not to show any irritability.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2010]
  4. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I have gotten to the point where the only thing I really want to watch is America's Funniest Home Video's ...& even that is sometimes too harsh! I don't want anyone to get hurt!
  5. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

I have felt on edge for quite some time and finally just started letting it go. My family would always tell me that I get so upset over the littlest things and that I just need to calm down. Now that I tell myself to just let it will go on, I get the response of "you just don't care". I am now getting critisized that I am to calm and let things go.

I'm getting tired of trying to change to meet everyone else's expectations and feelings. I just find myself trying to stay out of everything I can.

U&IROK - You said it best - just to tired!![This Message was Edited on 08/30/2010]
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Chelz.

In my opinion, the sensitivity you described results from the dysfunction of the neurotransmitter system that in turn results from the partial methylation cycle block in CFS.

This partial methylation cycle block affects several parts of the neurotransmitter metabolism. For example, tetrahydrobiopterin becomes depleted, which affects the synthesis of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. In addition, the breakdown of these neurotransmitters requires methylation reaction, such as for the reactions catalyzed by the enzyme COMT.

Some people take antidepressants, which inhibit the uptake of one or more of the neurotransmitters, and they can provide some relief, but they usually also end up having unpleasant side effects, and they don't deal with the root cause of the dysfunction of the neurotransmitter metabolism.

In my opinion, the long-term solution to this problem is to restore the methylation cycle to normal operation, so that the neurotransmitter metabolism is restored, also. I have suggested a treatment for this, but it's against the rules here to give links, so I can only say that if you go to the files section of the Yahoo CFS_yasko group, you can find it there.

Best regards,

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have always been the "sensitive" one. Feelings hurt easily, cried easily, pouted easily etc.

Always a deep thinker, more empathetic towards others... There have been times that for my own survival I've had to learn to toughen up a bit (no other way to put it) when it came to others anyway. I think a lot of that too came with growing up a bit and maybe not caring so much with what others thought etc. (great part about getting older!)

I like who I've become, the way I think, my attitude etc. The one area that I KNOW I have a problem with (almost can't type it) is what is ahead of me which is the death of my parents. I literally cannot utter the words. I am a normal well adjusted person who loves them so much that I cannot imagine being on this earth without them. So I can only imagine how sensitive I'm going to be years down the road. (please no comments about "it's a part of life" I know that)

I too cry at commercials! The Humane Society, ASPCA ones almost send me over the edge! But even the innocent cereal commercials can do it to me!

Definitely when I feel worse physically, I'm more sensitive emotionally.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with being a sensitive person. (unless it's detrimental to oneself and interferes with your life), I think we are more in touch with ourselves and it oftens causes us to treat others differently.

I get what you're saying, even though I feel like I'm babbling terribly!

Ya know what REALLY stinks...when you get the lump in your throat at work. Yeah, happens a lot with me lately. Nothing worse than starting to cry at work. Often. We used to have a girl that cried all the time and I used to think "geez, what the heck is with her?!" Now, I think I'm "her". Yikes!
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Yep, that's me. All thru my childhood I was called a cry baby, and I'm still a cry baby! The psych docs call it being labile. I've been told by them that I do not handle stress well and I overreact to things that wouldn't bother other people.

The sad thing is, I know they're right, but nobody seems to be able to tell me how to fix it! Being on Prozac helps, but some days I'm more sensitive than others. Lots of anxiety and sensory sensitivities arise and it makes me feel so weak.

It's a hard trait to live with sometimes, that's for sure. I've recently been trying to do some relaxation exercises when I'm feeling stressed. My pain and fatigue are greatly increased after stressful or emotional events.
  9. jazzleaveshernumber

jazzleaveshernumber New Member

hey, i'm the only one in the world, i thought, that doesn't watch movies (or dramas). it's always been hard to explain but i try to tell people that they are just too long and the stretch to the climax is more than i can take but that sounds sort of, well, strange.

wow. there is more than one of me!!!!
  10. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I, too, have had a hard time handling stress since childhood and have always been overly sensitive. My father calls me hypersensitive. If this is true of a lot of people who get CFS BEFORE they get CFS it makes me wonder.

I read something about people with CFS having some part of their brain that handles stress being underdeveloped. I thought it was the amygdala but I can't find it now so maybe it was some other part.

So were we set up to get CFS? I found this:

"One study quotes the rate of severe chemical sensitivity amongst ME/CFS patients at 20%-47% (13). The same study provides compelling evidence that the limbic system (the emotional centre of the brain) of susceptible individuals can become sensitized by chemical, biological and psychological mechanisms and that subsequent exposure to stimuli can cause disregulation of multiple body systems including behavioral, autonomic, endocrine, and immune system functions."

But if the sensitivity was there before we got CFS did we already have damage to our limbic system and just adding a lifetime of chemicals or other unnatural things and stress put us over the edge for CFS? A vicious circle. Maybe if there was more damage initially we would have gotten autism but since the larger damage comes later we get CFS?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2010]
  11. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

How is your therapy going?

12. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I haven't been on the boards for a few days, more like a week. Having a terrible flare up, exhausted, more pain than normal.

I just haven't had the energy to go on the boards. Today, I'm slightly better, but not really. I thank these boards everyday, and I thank you guys too. This sensitivity issue I don't think is going to go away. In the last two weeks, I would say, I have been having problems at work because of my FM flaring up, very sensitive and I am feeling a little anti-social right now.

Just wanted to say "thanks" to you all, as always, and I am thankful for these boards. Better go now, need my hot water bottle and my couch :( Hugs, Chelz.