Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SwatWife525, Oct 1, 2009.

1. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

UGH make it go away!!! Can we just skip these days my Fibro Friends?!

Hope everyone is feeling ok today... I wish we could all feel "normal", whatever that may feel like. Seems like I remember from years ago.

Does anyone recommend any supplements? I'm taking Calcium + D and Omega 3's.

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Swatwife, there are a number of supps that can be helpful for anxiety. However some are contraindicated if you are on certain RX meds.

For starters, on Omega 3, IME not all O3 is equally beneficial for mood. The EPA fraction tends to be most potent. I highly recommend a molecularly distilled EPA concentrate like Carlson's or Nordic Naturals. There are other brands, but many HFS carry samples of these to try & I've had great success with contacting manufacturers, asking for samples as well. ProHealth here carries many supps, but I'm not sure whether they offer samples.

The best form of D is D3 -- not D2. You can ck that on your supp.

You may wish to research magnesium.

There are a number of other supps that may be potentially helpful for your anxiety, however I'm loathe to mention them when I don't know the RX situation.

Anxiety is very common in certain types of thyroid disease, as are fibro-like symptoms. Ruling out the possible contribution of thyroid means getting a complete thyroid panel run, incl. thyroid antibodies. Most docs simply screen for TSH, but that gives a much less than complete picture.

Best wishes.
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Anxiety can have many root causes. Low brain GABA levels is one root cause. Studies have show standard (synthetic) GABA doesn't cross the Blood-Brain-Barrier (BBB), there are pharma-grade or natural GABA supplements availiable. Also helpful is two other aminos: Theanine and Taurine.

Sometime refered to as: "The Three Aminos!"

Fish is a great natural source of GABA, but can be high in mercury too. Avoid tuna and swordfish. Taking chlorella can absorb mercury in the gut from food. Fish oils has been shown to help ADHD.

Toxic metals can play games with the nervous system.

Low serotonin levels might at the root cause. Add tryptophan, cashews, turkey or 5HTP to the diet.

B vitamins can really defuse brain toxicity and correct enzyme production. CyanoB12 doesn't seem to work for us CFS ppl. Methyl B12 and Adenosyl B12 are getting lots of rave reviews. Sublingual tablets seem to "rinse" out too quickly under the tongue. In the upper lip allows for slower but better absorbtion.

I got a script for injectable Methyl B12, but the pharmacist wanted $300 up front for aware.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

They sell it here and I get most of my "things" from here but I wanted to try it right away and picked up some from GNC.

I take one twice a day. PH's says 1 one time a day.

My hubby takes it now too!

5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

If you are using antidepressant med, including "fibro" type ADs, use extreme caution when adding in supps that increase serotonin like tryptophan, 5-HTP and St. John's Wort.

Serotonin syndrome is nasty, and can be deadly.

If you are using a GABA agonist such as Lyrica or Neurontin, you should ck with your doc before adding in GABA directly.

I highly recommend the book, Healing Anxiety and Depression, by Daniel Amen, M.D. Doctor Amen discusses different types of anxiety, with recommendations on meds and/or supps for different types. Your public library may own a copy of this book or be able to obtain it for you through inter-library loan.

Best wishes.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I want to reiterate SnooZQ's warning about combining supps and meds....several of the suggestions that others made are very good, but can be dangerous if they are combined with meds

also, one that has not yet been mentioned that can be very helpful for anxiety is Kava Kava....there are a couple of things to keep in mind with this one, is that obviously (as was just stated) you should make sure it will not be bad in combo with anything else you might be taking (I know you are not supposed to combine it with alcohol, not sure about meds)...the other thing is that you should not be taking it on a daily basis, esp in high amts - long term continuous use with a high dosage can cause liver damage.....however, if you are only taking it a few times a week at most and taking the appropriate amt each time, it is considered very safe
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

FYI, we also have an alternative board where you might get more information.

Good luck.

8. victoria

victoria New Member

My son suffered from a lot of anxiety/depression and still can have problems with it... it's apparently connected with his Lyme and other tick diseases. However, in 2004 I heard about L-Theanine, and had him try it.

I credit it for helping him to at least get thru a semester of HS 1/2 time (he'd had to keep dropping out as he was too often unable to go to class, nothing rx'd ever helped as he had paradoxical reactions to all of it).

It is still a staple for him; he says it even seems to help give him energy. The few times he's tried to wean himself off of it, the overwhelming anxiety returns.

The nice thing is that apparently from what we've read, nobody's ever reported side effects; at any rate, he has never had any.

Hope that helps... it's been used in Japan for a long time, btw.

all the best,

9. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Chamomile tea is very soothing and helps digestion and is loaded with Magnesium to boot in a good bio-available form. It can also help you sleep but doesn't make me sleepy in the daytime.

I like to use Lemon Balm tincture. I just put a couple of eyedroppers full into a half a glass of room temperature water and stir and drink that. That one can make me sleepy sometime and it can give you very vivid dreams which is ok as long as they're not nightmares. It works really well to calm me though.

10. sascha

sascha Member

it's i think one of the Bach flower remedies. can get it in health food stores. you put a dropper-ful of it under your tongue and let it absorb. it helps! Sascha
  11. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

theanine, relora, inositol, kava, phenibut, mulungu.
    I suggest googling them to find out more info, all of them are natural and help sleep.
    Have recently started using mulungu which i have never heard of and was suprised how well it works for sleep, regular use of these things start to lose there effect but by cycling between them helps them to remain effective.
  12. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Since your son is in Japan, ask him to try Korean Kimchi "kim - chee". It has a probiotic that ferments GABA in the colon. It just might fix him up. If he takes any anti-biotics, he will have to restart it.

I also have Lyme and anxiety. Theanine helps me too. Taking doxycycline has made my die off worse and the anxiety is worse, too. It helps if I take 1 TBSN of fiber and 1 tsp of bentonite powder. (Klinghardt protocol).

Yes...doxycycline kills off the Kimchi probiotic...
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Like several others said, l-theanine is very good for helping with anxiety. It helps the brain produce GABA and I've read it's more effective than taking GABA directly, because l-theanine crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily. It's very calming but does not sedate you.

If your serotonin is low, l-tryptophan or 5-htp are amino acids which help your brain produce serotonin. But again, as others, said they should not be combined with prescription anti-depressants because you may develop serotonin syndrome - too much serotonin- which can be dangerous.

Finally, I think everyone should have their cortisol levels tested. They're not always low with these DD. Mine were tested 6 years ago, and my levels were skewed on the high side, causing severe middle of the night insomnia. I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) and it helped almost immediately - I felt calmer but not drugged, started sleeping better. But many people here do have low cortisol, so you shouldn't take Seriphos without getting your lvels tested. A good test is the Adrenal Stress Index test - it's a saliva test, can be ordered by any doctor, or naturopath. I had it done through Clymer Healing Research (on-line). They're in Pennsylvania, we did everything by phone, e-mail and regular mail. You can look them up. I think if I had never had my cortisol levels sorted out, I'd still be quite a mess.

Also, you do need magnesium to go with that calcium. My doctor has me taking equal parts calcium and magnesium, and at a bare minimum, you need to take one part magnesium to two parts calcium.

14. victoria

victoria New Member

My son's not in Japan, I was just talking about it having been used in Japan for a long time, safely... Kim chee (the real kind- fermented- I assume) sounds like a good idea except for the fact his stomach doesn't tolerate the really spicy stuff. I do want to make the 'real' sauerkraut that is fermented as it isn't spicy, just wish I liked cabbage as I can't make myself even try to do it - plus I'm scared to do it, LOL, as I've never actually seen it made or what the end product looks like.

(right now my son is trying some alternatives for lyme, he and his LLMD agreed it would be good for him to take a 'vacation' from abx as he'd gone as far as he could, he's in partial 'remission'; MMS seems to be helping.)

all the best,