Anxiety with Atkins Diet...Continued..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Godslove, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Godslove

Godslove New Member

Hi everyone. I'm glad Courtney5771 brought up the subject of the Atkins Diet again. I mentioned in her post that I have extreme anxiety while on Atkins. I received some good information on that post also but wanted to continue... I need help.

While I was on the Atkins Diet the last time (about 2 weeks ago) my anxiety began on the 3rd day and really hit the top between day 8 and day 10. I finally had to stop (I felt like I could actually lash out physically at someone...not like me at all)!

I followed the diet except for 1 glass of milk a day..I drank iced tea with Splenda the rest of day. Maybe it was the meat that gave me all that anxiety. I do eat meat but not as much as on the diet.. and from what I understand meat is under the acidic group. I don't think I was allergic to anything I was eating but I guess you never know.

Is it possible that the Atkins Diet just plain and simply is not for everyone? Is there another eating program that might better suit my personal body needs? I'm open for any and all suggestions.

By the way, I have to add that my stress level is enormous right now..my Mother is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Dementia and is not doing well...just keeps hanging on and is down to 78 pounds. Maybe this is just not a good time to make food changes.?

Blessings & Hope,
    Wanda

2. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

It's recommended that you not drink caffeine on Atkins. You do eat less because the protein digests much slowly. Caffeine on an emptier stomach would certainly make you feel anxious.

If you drank more water (and NO milk... it's loaded with sugar) you probably would have been less anxious. I hope you'll try Atkins again. It really helps with my panic/depression.
  3. iconracr

iconracr New Member

Ice tea has TONS of it. When I was on Atkins I had the very exact thing. Atkins is the reduced carb and if you count. And when I was eating correctly the calories were reduced too.

You have to nix the caffine to be on Atkins. They say you can have 1 or 2 cups, that was too much for me. I was so anxious I felt like jumping out of my own skin.

Going off of the few cups of tea I had a day caused the worst headaches. But once I was over it I felt GREAT.

I would give Atkins a try without any Tea or use Decaf. The first time I was on Atkins I lost 53 pounds.
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Please do a websearch on Splenda....you may find out some scary things. Stevia is the only really safe sweetner.
    Klutzo
  5. Godslove

Godslove New Member

Aquarose:
    I'm allergic to fish and seafood of any kind so my choices are somewhat limited (I do love chicken). I think you may be on to something regarding the comfortable, not hungry, not happy, not pleased, just comfortable. I never felt satisfied for very long.. within an hour I was ready to eat again.

Thank you for the kind words about my Mother. I am blessed with a wonderful husband to hold me any time I need held. But it is nice to know I also have my friends here on the board.

Pindooca and Iconracr:
    Thanks for the heads-up on caffeine. I know about all the problems it can cause, I just did not associate it with the iced tea. I will probably try Atkins again at some point because I need to lose 25-30 pounds and hopefully feel better and less anxious.

Klutzo:
    I remember Mikie saying that Splenda was processed with chlorine. I will do a search on it to see why that's a problem. In the meantime, I will send my Husband to the Health Food Store to pick up some Stevia.

Thanks again.

Blessings,
    Wanda
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2003]
  6. Godslove

Godslove New Member

Hi Twix,
    It's nice to know that someone has this problem besides me! I also have more fatigue and anxiety with this diet. Maybe I don't stay on it long enough, I don't know.

I'm not familiar with the Mayo Clinic Diet but would like to learn more about it. Would you mind giving me some information about it? I would appreciate any input you may have.

Hi Maarit,
    That's a pretty scary article, I never heard of it. When I am on the Atkins Diet my chest and tummy feel "funny, wierd, not right". I don't know how to describe the feeling but it didn't feel right to me. Thanks for telling me about this, maybe my body was trying to tell me something!

Blessings,
    Wanda
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I saw that info on the girl that died a few months ago. It was on the Fox News network, or maybe MSNBC. It was a program where Dr. Ornish was debating some guy about the Atkins diet, and that death was brought up. They don't know if the diet caused the death, but stated she was on it at the time. Alot of things can cause us to be short on potassium, not just diet, and I think it's a good idea to take a potassium supplement while dieting, just to cover all our bases.

Marilyn :)
  8. Godslove

Godslove New Member

I haven't tried the "Somersizing Diet" due to preparation time. In fact, it's even difficult to be on the Atkins Diet because you have to cook a lot. There are days and days when I just cannot cook due to fatigue and pain.

I've tried cooking enough for 2-3 days at a time. That helps somewhat but I still have to find something to feed my husband and me at lunch time. I'm embarrassed to say that this is more "thinking and planning and preparation" than I am capable of on any given day.

I'm not giving up though.. I know there is something out there that is right for me.

Blessings of Hope,
    Wanda

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Tea has caffeine and Splenda has chlorine. It is possible that between the two, they are the cause of the anxiety. There is another post about this.

You can try decaf ice tea and SomerSweet or stevia. The best thing to drink is good old water, though.

Love, Mikie
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Exactly what is it and how do you use it? I went to a healthfood website to order some and they don't explain anything, but I see it comes in liquid or powder and is very expensive, something like $12.95 per ounce. OUCH!

Marilyn