Anxiety with the fibro, and Buspar

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Nov 15, 2009.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been having a lot of anxiety, and my doctor gave me a script for buspar.

I was just wondering if anyone else has taken it, and what should I look for as far as side effects.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

2. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Can anyone tell me if they have anxiety and could tell me what worked for them.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2009]
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I also have a lot of anxiety. My doctor prescribed buspar for me last year and I took it a few times. I am not aware of any side effects except I had a strange feeling in the back of my neck but it may have just been because the tension was relaxing. I really don't know.

I just took tiny doses (I always cut my pills and start off small) because I'm very sensitive to medications. I did feel a little more relaxed at first but I didn't continue on a daily basis like the pres. said. I just don't like to take med's. That's just me! According to everything I read about buspar there are minimum side effects, if any at all.

I did notice that my dreams were more strange than usual! That's no big deal though. I hope they work for you. GB66
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I felt like I was going to have a seizure. But I think I am a rare person to have that reaction. There have been a lot of things I have tried (for CFS) and some are godsends and some weren't.

I take GABA for anxiety. It is a supplement and sold here at Prohealth for about $10. My hubby had a very stressful morning at work, so I gave him some GABA at lunch time and he loved it. Takes it daily now. (We started with one twice a day and now we take one a day).

5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I also want to add that if you go to the search function on our message board and type in the word buspar and then pull up content, you will find many previous posts on the subject. Gb66
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks to all who replied. I already did use the search engine for buspar, but was hoping there might be someone new on here, or some other people that have tried it since the last posts.

I have a bad time with meds, and I worry about taking new ones. I dont know how many antidepressants I have tried, and just cant take them. Even my stomach meds were making me really depressed.

I have 10mg pills and I think I might just cut one in half, so that if I do have some kind of side effect, maybe it wont be so bad.

Thanks again, Julie
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I actually did fine on buspar! No side effects! I can't take anti depressants because of bad side effcts....weight gain, sweating etc...but buspar was fine and I didn't have to wean off it ...just take it when ever and quit when I wanted...
  8. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi , i havent tried buspar but I do have anxiety and panic attacks and did for years until I was prescribed Xanx. I have been on it for about 10 years now and what a relief is was to find something that auctually worked and I havent had any side effects. Just the feeling of calmness and reduced the anxiety to what i would call a normal level. (not worrying about every little thing or feeling the doom and gloom thing, felt like at times I was surely dying.) anxiety attacks are horrible, scarey things and no one understands unless theyve had them. any way I started out taking 4 tablets .5mg daily but over the years I have cut that dose down to 1/4 pill morning and bedtime. Occasionly I will feel the anxiety coming on and will take 1/2 to 1 pill at that time and chew it up(tastes real bitter) but it nips right away. God Bless and Hope you finds something that works for you. You will be in my prayers.
  9. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I've been on 30mg x 2 for quite awhile now. Side effects are droziness and hot flashes. But, it's not that bad and the good out weighs the bad.

It really works well for anxiety. It keeps you "even-keeled". I have to stay calm because stress worsens my symptoms. Also, I have IBS-D and it's great for that because this drug slows down your body functions. It's not habit-forming, I recommend it.

Good luck.