ANXIETY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sula, Aug 20, 2006.

1. sula

sula New Member

I am having a terrible time w/anxiety.....PLEASE...anybody else???? How to deal w/this and please don't tell me to lower my stress level....LOL I WOULD if I knew how!!!!!!

I have times when I am just so nervous....for no reason. Something unusual......I experience what I call jolts that I would describe as being stuck w/a cattle prod...Never had that happen but I liken these jolts unto a cattle prod. I feel this jolt all over my body. Or you could say that I have been plugged into an electrical socket. The ONLY time it happens is when I am trying to relax/sleep. I will just about be asleep, and BANG, this jolt of something surges through my body instantly startling me and thus preventing me from sleeping. I do not have high BP but I do have the rapid pulse ocassionally...I HATE this anxiety!!!!!! Yes, I am taking Xanax for that and Prozac for the depression...Prozac seems to be the only anti-depressant that I can tolerate. Any ideas??????
  2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I take Xanax for anxiety and other things but it helps me with the anxiety just fine. Maybe you need something else for it.
  3. dleaning

dleaning New Member

YES, it is scary. I have had this too. I was diagnosed with panic disorder back in 1989. I was put on a tricyclic antidepressant and it worked. I do still get the occational "jolt", but I just try to think of something nice, like walking on the beach, something pleasurable. That seems to work for me, but also taking ativan helps too, and in your case the xanax.

Hope that helps you somewhat. Good luck hon, you are not alone.

Dawn
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I also suffer from extreme anxiety. I've recently started Cymbalta but the jury is still out on that.

Have you tried the deep breathing exercises? You breath in slowly into your gut and exhale slowly. You do it as often as you can think of it while sitting, walking, resting, anytime. Honestly, I have a hard time doing them sometimes because I can't get the breath in - chest is too tight.

Have you tried therapy? I see a therapist weekly. It has been very helpful.

I have Anxiety disorder with OCD. It is overwhelming. I truly hope you are able to find some relief.

Sofi
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

that is often discussed here and I cannot remember the name of it! It really helped me with my anxiety but I had to stop because it increased my already high BP. It has a 3-letter name that starts with an H. Maybe someone else knows.

Pepper
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Yes I know the feeling all too well. I have suffered off and on for years and had gotten so bad, I could not even go to my mailbox to get the mail anymore.

I have been on effexor and ativan for about 5 or 6 months and it has done wonders for me. I even went and had my colonosopy on Monday!! (mind you, taking an ativan beforehand helped)

For a while, the breathing excersizes and self talk worked for me but it always came back.

The supplement is 5HTP, which I did try but it made me feel worse (like when you first start and ad), so I gave up on it, but I knowit has helped some here.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I just wanted you to know that I (and a lot of us on the board) can relate.

Hugs, Sue in Ontario
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I have trouble with Sensory Overload and it causes anxiety for me. I take Klonopin but that isn't enough.

Try separating yourself into a calm place..where there is not a lot of noise or commotion.

I have purchased some relaxation CD's that help me and my dog. It's been amazing how the calming music helps. I use it several times a day and always at night.

When I tried Prozac, that was one of the side of effects that I had from that drug.

I hope you find something that helps. I am constantly looking for help in that area myself.
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

5HTP is the name of the supplement that really helped me. I was on Paxil for many years and that helped but it was so hard getting off the darn stuff. Then I was on Zoloft which didn't help quite as much but it did help. Getting off it was hard too.

I was so happy when the 5HTP helped so much and I was not happy to have to discontinue it.

After all my AD experiences, IMHO, trying the non-drug approach is a lot safer. If the non-drug approach doesn't work, then drugs can certainly solve your problem.

Pepper
  9. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I think everyone said it above- but I also have High anxiety- I try the deep breathing and my therapist suggested to do the visual- a calming sort of place whether it be water, sunsets or somewhere where You feel calm.

Sometimes even th Xanax does not quite help.
    Hope this helps
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I was just wondering if this happens while you're awake too? Or just when you're trying to fall asleep...

I was wondering if others could tell you if it's like RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) because my hubby used to startle awake constantly like something prodded him too.

He's now on RLS medication and sleeping much better.

Just a thought and you might want to ask your doctor too.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  11. joysarah

joysarah New Member

I have had high anxiety all my life and I am 53 yrs old. I have been on Xanax forever it has always helped but I was having to take more. about 4 yrs ago my dr convinced me to take Zoloft. I told him I was not depressed. He told me the zoloft would help the anxiety. I was desperate so I tried it. I took the smallest dose and eventually worked up to 150mg. I felt like a new woman. anyway I took it for about 3 yrs and then I started to not feel anything. To make a long story short my psyc put me on cymbalta with the xanax. I have so much going on in my life right now that if I wasn't on the meds I really don't believe I would make it.
    I am saying sula that u probably need an antidepressant as well as something like xanax. I felt like I was on a roller coaster with just the xanax, since as I got older my anxiety got worse. Now I very rarely have anxiety. so just talk to ur Dr and hopefully u will feel better. It does take a little time. The xanax usually kicks in right away.My prayers r with u. joy
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

Is there anyway that you can talk to a psychologist. I know they are expensive, but a lot of times they are very helpful in this area. Your reg. doctor could probably give you a referral.

Maybe you need to up your xanax dosage, or change to something different, but talk to your doctor about that. Just a suggestion. I have severe anxiety too, so I know how you are feeling. Hope you find some calm and peace soon.

Kriket
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

try it you might like it.

jodie
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My anxiety was really helped by taking Restoril 15 mg at night. I also have insomnia so I accidentally discovered the Restoril that was prescribed for sleep, also helped the anxiety.

Restoril is the same drug class as Xanax but lasts longer in your system. Also, according to the drug information, it has less chance for tolerance.

Hope you are feeling better soon...
  15. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Magnesium helped me quite a bit when I had a bad bout of anxiety about 7 months ago. I upped my magnesium intake, and it really helped. I posted on this board about it and someone suggested it to me and it really did work!

Take care, Sally
  16. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Experiment with different herbs... tincture/alchohol extract is best and most effective Try Passionflower, Skullcap, Valerian (some people this has opposite effect and causes hyperactivity-but most not), oatstraw (most gentle). Also Blue Vervain, St. Johnswort, Wild lettuce. Also sleep blends. I can't take Valerian so I have to be careful of the blends. Passion flower quiets the mind. I like it alot. Valerian is said to quiet the body. Most of these offer pain relief as well as nervous system support. You may get by taking it right before bed, might need to take 2 hours before. Might need to take eye dopper full 4X /day for a while if your having alot of anxiety. Experiment and see what works for you. These help rebuild the nervous system, not just attack the symptoms. I was off of them for along time, but with my recent attack I'm back on big time. Also.. exercise and sunlight during the day. No sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, no late dinners.
  17. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Experiment with different herbs... tincture/alchohol extract is best and most effective Try Passionflower, Skullcap, Valerian (some people this has opposite effect and causes hyperactivity-but most not), oatstraw (most gentle). Also Blue Vervain, St. Johnswort, Wild lettuce. Also sleep blends. I can't take Valerian so I have to be careful of the blends. Passion flower quiets the mind. I like it alot. Valerian is said to quiet the body. Most of these offer pain relief as well as nervous system support. You may get by taking it right before bed, might need to take 2 hours before. Might need to take eye dopper full 4X /day for a while if your having alot of anxiety. Experiment and see what works for you. These help rebuild the nervous system, not just attack the symptoms. I was off of them for along time, but with my recent attack I'm back on big time. Also.. exercise and sunlight during the day. No sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, no late dinners.