Anxiety...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Oct 25, 2006.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I never hear anyone mention this as a symptom. I have low grade chronic anxiety all day and night, not acute panic attacks. Its a very nasty feeling to live with and I'm wondering if anyone else deals w/ it. I have CFS and fibro but anxiety (adrenaline, nasty sensation in head and entire body) seems to be a bigger issue for me. I heard it can be related to cfs but im thinking maybe its an entirely seperate issue for me.
    I have MDI so i develop many symptoms while taking medications, herbs, etc.... :( ..or i would take something for this awful feeling.
    Any suggestions?
    Ive tried SSRIs and went HAYWIRE!
    I have Xanax but i get electrical sensations and jolts in my body while sleeping. :(
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have had anxiety off and on for 3 1/2 years now. It is because of the CFS. I have had anxiety attacks but also sometimes that low grade chronic anxiety that you talk about especially the last two months. It could be your CFS. I know mine is from the CFS. I haven't taken any meds for it since it has been off and on and not too much of a problem for me. However the last two months it has been bad. I have had A LOT of anxiety and anxiety attacks. I don't tolerate meds well.

Not sure what you can tolerate since you said you don't do well with meds and herbs etc. Here are some supplements and vitamins etc that I have looked up recently since it has been worse. They are all supposed to be good for anxiety and depression (not sure if you have depression or not but they help with both). I dont know if you can take any of these or not.

-B-Complex Vitamins
    -Magnesium
    -Inositol (sometimes called Vitamin B8)
    -L-Theanine (it is in Green Tea but also sold as a supplement)
    -St. Johns Wort
    -SAMe
    -chamomile tea
    -Rescue Remedy

There are alot of things I have found by looking up anxiety online. I know there are more that I can't remember right now.

Also, maybe meditation, relaxation therapy, breathing exercises, yoga, bubble baths. These are all things off the top of my head that might help.

Hope you find some relief! Anxiety is not a good feeling.

Take Care,
    Pam
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I had very good luck taking Restoril the night before for sleep, it also eliminated my anxiety the next day.

Restoril is in the same drug family as Klonopin which also helps anxiety. I have no side effects that bother me.

I had insomnia along with my anxiety. It was so bad I tried several different sleep meds. One was Restoril. I accidentally discovered that Restoril not only helped me sleep, it eliminated the anxiety.

I alternate from Restoril to Ambien every few weeks to avoid tolerance, however I have read there is a low incidence of tolerance with Restoril.

You need to keep experimenting to find what is best for you. If the doctor would let you try Restoril the night before, I am pretty sure you will feel alot better.

I use 15 mg of Restoril.
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I am so sorry that you suffer from anxiety. I also have anxiety, and it's not easy to deal with. I have social anxiety. Xanax is one of the best things out there, but counseling may also be helpful for you. Hope that you find some comfort. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, but just know you are not alone!!!!

Kriket
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have CFS and have the 24/7 anxiety..Yes, for me its part of CFS and sometimes the worse part of it..I too became agoraphobia because of it..But to get my doctor to understand this, well I have just given up..She says its two different illness...All I know is I never had anxiety like this until the DD...

For me xanax has worked very well, in fact I don't think I could function without it, but had to start with a very low dose..I now take .25mg. three to four times a day..and when in a crash more if needed but I can not take more than
    .25 at one dose...I hear that ativan and klonopin are also good for anxiety..ativan made me somewhat depressed, which xanax doesn't and klonopin seem to strong for me..

I did try the supplements, over the counter meds that suppose to help but had no luck..So I am thankful for the xanax..For me its been a good drug, but need to start out on a low dose..

Speaking of SSRIs I can not tolerate them either..They make my anxiety worse and HAYWIRE is a good word for what they do to me...and I think I have tried them all..So I told my doc no more...

Sorry, you have to suffer with the anxiety, the CFS is bad enough but keep trying and I do hope you find something that helps you ....

God Bless,
    greatgran

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Oh, how I can relate to those nasty sensations in the head and body..But the head feeling for me is the pits...
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Maybe you haven't head it mentioned yet but you will. It's a large part of CFS for many of us.

I do take Restoril at night for sleep but I want to wean off it since I've been taking it for over two years. I'm reducing the drug a few grains at a time (or so it seems when I'm doing it) and I'm taking some 5-HTP during the day for balance. Do know, however, that Restoril is a benzo and so is the same class of drug as Xanax. If you try it, have your doc write a script for just a few at first to see how you react. I've learned to do this with just about every medication.

Some people find melatonon to be helpful for sleep. In fact, that's what I'm working toward. Off drugs and on to mild supplements.

Good luck. Anxiety increases with lack of sleep so get sleeping. Have you tried Trazadone? It's very effective for sleep and anxiety but you might have to experiment with the dose. Always start low! I don't think doctors realize how sensitive most of us are to medications.

And continue to stay away from SSRIs if you can. Sounds as if you don't tolerate them well which, in my observation, can often mean that if you find one you can take, it could be extremely hard to quit without great difficulty.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 10/26/2006]
  8. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I began suffering from anxiety attacks while I was still working, about six years ago. That's also when my FM came out in the open and began running my life.

My most recent anxiety attack landed me in a psych unit for five days, during which my meds were adusted. Now, if I feel anxious enough for it to interfere with my life, I take a low dose of Klonopin. That calms me down and helps me function, yet doesn't put me to sleep.
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Oh yes, I think most of us suffer with it. That adrenaline rush, head sensation is HORRIBLE and has often happened to me in the middle of the night.

I put off taking the SSRI for months until I could no longer even go to my mailbox without having a panic attack.

Finally took it and spent 2 weeks in bed from the nausea, spinning head, and all that. One day woke up and felt like my world had changed...for the better, that is.

So I am still on them (6 months now), along with a very low dose of ativan at night. The combo seems to have helped me emormously.

Unfortunately there is no one answer, we all react so differently.

Good Luck with whatever you decide, just keep trying.

Sue in Ontario
  10. Callum

Callum New Member

...of the thirteen years I have had this disease, anxiety has been the worst symptom.

In the first six months of this disease, anxiety was an alarming symptom.

In between, it was never an issue.

Isn't that odd?

Callum
  11. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

I don't think you will be alone in feeling anxious. I seem to have had a lot of it since being diagnosed with FM. Sometime you think you are losing the plot. Sometimes I feel that way if I am way overdue my medication. Sometimes I think it is because I cannot get a good nights sleep. Everyone seems so together except you right? Sometimes I pace the house, I pick up things to start, and put them down, and cannot settle down to anything. When I am really anxious I find myself constantly apologising to people, because I think they have offended them. I also shake my legs when sitting on the computer when I get worked up. Trouble is I am not sure what I am worked up about. I personally think it is my med that play tricks. I have just started Mirapex, with some good results, in fact 50% better, unfortunately the anxiety which I have had before I started to take it and only sleeping 2 - 3 hours a night, takes its toll. I personally think anxiety is an FM thing, because we have so much to think about all the time. Charlie
  12. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I used to have social anxiety before the FM/CFS, but since I've gotten sick, it seems like it's multiplied. I'm anxious about EVERYTHING. Just going to school and sitting down in a classroom gets me near to having a panic attack.

I think it is part of the CFS, 'cause i've never been this bad. And I've tried so many ADs, but haven't found anything to get RID of the anxiety. It is a really uncomfortable feeling.

Either the CFS, or just the overall depression that comes with CFS and FM (at least for me).

-danielle
  13. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

What is that head thing everyone is talking about? I get some weird head and vision things going on when I get anxiety. Thanks Barb
  14. baanders

baanders New Member

there is a good chance you have bipolar disorder. I know this sounds shocking. There may not even be any family history of bipolar disorder and there are two types. Type I and Type II. I cannot believe your doctor did not pick up on this. I urge you to see a psychiatrist who can allow you to take the SSRI along with a mood stabilizer so that you will not go into these hypomanic spells. This is for your health, and I care about you. An antidepressant with a mood stabilizer can really manage your FM/CFS symptoms. BTW, if you go on a tricyclic antidepressant for pain, you may become very agitated, because they are known to really put people into panic and even mania.

best wishes to you
    baanders
  15. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I have chronic anxiety, it started about 3 months ago,Ihave been sick 1 year.Sometimes it becomes severe when I find myself the center of attention.Which is realy wierd,I love being the center of attention but than out of nowhere comes a panic attack.How do you explain that to people you are around. Ruthie
  16. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I have mild anxiety attacks from time to time. I have found that taking some magnesium and calcium helps relieve them. I actually take rolaids which have magnesium and calcium and in about 30 mins, the anxiety diminishes to the point where I don't notice it.

One of the reasons that you may have jerking with xanax is that the benzos. increase GABA. GABA dampers down all the neurotransmitters and lowered dopamine can cause muscle jerking. Here is part of an article on GABA.

Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) is a neurotransmitter that is inhibitory, that is, it decreases the ability of other neurotransmitters to work. GABA is involved in our level of excitability. Rather than encouraging communication between cells such as Dopamine, Serotonin or Norepinephrine - GABA reduces, discourages, and blocks communication. This neurotransmitter is important in brain areas involving emotion and anxiety.

Here is some info on magnesium and anxiety. Also included is info. on niacinamide, but I have not tried that as the magnesium works well for me.

Many years ago, magnesium was reported to be relaxing for people with mild anxiety.5 Typically, 200 to 300 mg of magnesium are taken two to three times per day. Some doctors recommend soaking in a hot tub containing 1–2 cups of magnesium sulfate crystals (Epsom salts) for 15 to 20 minutes, though support for this approach remains anecdotal.

Niacinamide (a form of Vitamin B3) has been shown in animals to work in the brain in ways similar to drugs such as benzodiazepines (Valium®-type drugs), which are used to treat anxiety.6 One study found that niacinamide (not niacin) helped people get through withdrawal from benzodiazepines—a common problem.7 A reasonable amount of niacinamide to take for anxiety, according to some doctors, is up to 500 mg four times per day.

I would caution you to talk to your Dr. first before adding any supplements to your regiment. You want to make sure they do not interfer with what meds. you are already taking.

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Take care, Sally

[This Message was Edited on 10/28/2006]
  17. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

BOY, ANEXITY IS NOT MY FRIEND. IVE HAD ALOT LAST WEEK. AND HAVE HAD IT BE 4. NOW THEY TESTED MY THS AND THATS MY PROBLEM. BUT UNTIL IT GETS STRAITENED OUT THE DOC GAVE ME KLONOPIN. WHICH HELPED ALOT.

THE OTHER TIME 6 OR SO MONTHS AGO.SAME MED.
    DOLFENN
  18. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

I went throught his anxiety thing for just over a week, and I think some of my problem was lack of sleep. I was anxious because I had to think twice as hard at work in order not to make any mistakes, because I was only getting between 1-3 hours per night. Just gone onto zopiclone 7.5 mg and what a difference. I now get 8 hours of sleep, and for the first time in years I wake up refreshed. Charlie
  19. charlie21

charlie21 New Member

You know I sometimes worry about these herbal remedies and their side-effects. If we were honest, how many of us actually read up and see what they do. My doctor was trying me on herbal hypnos to help induce sleep, and I surfed the net night and day to find out about them, and hardly anything came up really. I couldn't sleep, which is why I was given them, and spent the next few nights all over the place on them, jumping in and out of sleep, waking up on and off all night, plus sometimes think they can interact with other herbal remedies. I think sometimes we pick them off the shelf, I for one have done it, but never occured to me that they may work against each other. I got rid the herbs prescribed by my doc and went onto Zopiclone 7.5 mgs and sleep a full 8 hours instead of the 1-3 hours. I am not knocking herbal stuff, but when you go to a doctor they prescribe with the view that all the tablets they give you, they check for interactions, how many of us can say that we do it with the herbal stuff. Now I have more sleep, I have actually stopped feeling anxious, and I am far more alert. I believe in herbal remedies, afterall they were out before the conventional medicine, but I think we need to check, that when we pick up more that one item off the shelf also, that we do not duplicate the same ingriedients. Currently on Mirapex, and 50% better. Please read my other posts if you are interested. Charlie or Haleycoles posts.
  20. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

always has been. klonopin i take at night time, helps.
    try it you might like it.

jodie