Anxious for input on "past pain" coming back

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

This is about the 3rd occassion that a past pain event has come back out of the blue to haunt me .
    A couple of weeks ago when having my blood pressure taken .. the new and nervous nurse really tightened the cuff too much and it was not one of my better days .. it was painful !
    Now .. yesterday .. for a few hours it felt like that tightened cuff was on my arm again .. squeezing the life out of it .. the exact sensation.
    has anyone ver had anything like this happen to them ? .. Is it possible that the brain is having a flashback and causing pain from a previous incident to happen again ?
    Any input truly appreciated !
    Fudge
  2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... another dead air question I guess .. but thanks all the same !
    Fudge : )
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I guess this doesn't surprise me! I would think that any area we have pain in..is likely to hurt again! I know I hate having my BP taken these days...especially if I seem to be in a high pain response cycle...it is just miserable! I just try and breathe my way thru it!LOL

But..I don't know why this wouldn't be a fibro response to painful events. Makes sense to me!
  4. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I feel like the worst pain that I experience is from areas that I have sometime injured or over worked. My arms kill me in areas that I used to really work at the gym. My legs kill where they did after a strenuous squat workout. My neck hurts around the area of my herniated disc. I have not been to the gym in months but everyday I feel like I just worked out like a mad woman (sure dont look it tho)

So I do think there is a correlation betwwen injury and subsequent pain..

Lindsey
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thank you guys for the replies .. I ws beginning to think I was going mad ......... the past few months it has been happening .. even with the needle to draw blood (which is like trying to get blood out of a stone with me) .. it is just so scary to think that the brain/body can "replay" old pain sites .. we have no control over this and it can happen any time ..
    Thank you suzan for admitting to the blood pressure cuff .. I was thinking I am a total baby .. all five foot nine of me ..
    lin-z ... I have switched to concentrating on yoga .. although I do treadmill if I am up to it .. the yoga helps so much .. at night especially to get the muscles a little more relaxed if nothing else .. have you tried yoga ? it might help.

Thanks again for the responses and to butzie for bumping !

6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

The brain remembers pain in different ways. There are several excellent books on pain that document this. For example, amputees can often have severe pain, dcalled 'phantom pain. They think that their amputated limb is causing the pain.

If anyone is interested, there is an excellent book called 'The War on Pain' bt Scott Fishman/Lisa Berger that talks about how the body feels pain and how chronic pain is different. It describes the very thing that happened To you, Fudge.

Kathy.

7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Pianowoman .. I have felt great relief just having people confirm what I've been experiencing lately .. it helps not to feel like I'm truly losing it .. I'm always trying to read up on what I can do for myself to feel better .. but sometimes reading confirmation that this is REAL and others suffer from it too is very helpful .. I'll try and find that book.
    You would think we suffer enough without our brain "replaying" pain for us again ?? ...
    Thanks for the info !
  8. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

YES YES YES!!! It is possible. An example is: once my hubby grabbed my arm, not hard, and for a couple of days it felt
    like he was still doing it. I once got a flu shot and the muscle hurt so bad for about 6 months untell the dr. gave me a cotisone shot. So, it can happen.

PIRT
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Pirt ... thanks .... I'm a little less crazy with seeing these responses ! : )
    Fudge
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

autistic kids often experience past pain or even pain not happening to them. When my autie son came with me for my flu jab he cried with the pain in HIS arm just watching me. He was not crying for me, but actually felt the pain, and continued to feel it from time to time. When someone does hurt him accidentally, he recalls the pain as much as a month later as if it is still there.
    Anne