Any adivice for a very damp apartment in Michigan ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lrning2cope, Sep 15, 2008.

1. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

We got the tail-end of Ike and it has been raining straight for 3 days. I live in a garden apartment and the rug is soaked . Everything is gettin mildewed . Does anyone have any ideas?

Of course , we have to have a rug cleaner , but what about books , and wooden bookcases that are damp ? I really don't want to throw them away , but I know they will mildew too unless treated .Does anyone know of a natural cure ? I have multiple chemical sensitivities.

Thank you !

Holly in a soggy apartment.
  2. kingd2

kingd2 New Member

If you have renter's insurance, it should cover treatment.
    A dehumidifier does not require chemicals it just removes moisture.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

You might be able to hire a dehumidifier.They are very good & do not use chemicals.
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, Holly.

I also lived in a garden level apartment that had a flood and a couple water leaks while I was living there.

It's important to dry things out within 24 hours. Or at least 48 hours.

I ended up with five kinds of toxic mold growing in my living room carpet. Sigh.

I would definitely recommend buying a powerful dehumidifier, pronto. If you have a safe place to leave them, take the books and furniture outside and set them in the sun to dry out faster.

I'm burned on rented blowers now, because a maintenance guy at my temporary apartment brought in a blower with toxic mold spores in it and contaminated the entire place. Grrr.

5. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

It sounds like you are an expert in coping with this kind of thing ! The apartment smells pretty bad right now and we ARE finding black colored mold. I hope this isn't the really bad kind .

I am already dealing with so many health problems , I really don't want the mold problem too , but I do have it and now I need to figure out what to do. What I feel like doing is getting bleach and pouring it on everything . I am allergic to chlorine , but I wish I could find something really powerful to combat this mess.

Thank you for the comments to everyone who replied !