Any advice for a prescription med. for achiness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tami3D, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Tami3D

Tami3D New Member

Hi. I have read that Gabapentin is a drug used for fibro. achiness but a side effect is weight gain. Does anyone have any advice on a drug for aches and pains with low and managable side effects? Thanks. Tami
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I would talk with your doctor about this. With this DD it effects each of us differently and the medications effect each of us differently.

I take 30mg Cymbalta in the AM with 300 Neurontin in the PM along with quinine for my restless leg syndrome. The combination of these drugs seems to have been the right "cocktail" for me. IT took a long time to find this also. I was on many different meds until we found the right combination.

I have not noticed any major weight gain with this combo.

3. joanng

joanng New Member

I've taken Neurontin for pain and for my restless leg syndrome and it worked well for awhile. Now I use percoset for the aches and pains. I was using this only for breakthru pain and for my daily relief I was using the Fentynal patch but developed an allergic reaction so I dropped it. Percoset is bad for the liver so my goal is to exercise more and I'm starting to decrease the dose and taking supplements to help support my liver at the same time. I didn't gain weight from the Neurontin. Everyone is different, some meds have side-effects, etc. I agree, work with your doctor and also I would keep a log. I try to keep a pain log (to see if my hormones are making things worse, another topic) but also keeping a medication log to keep track of benefits or problems helps when you're trying to find something that works for you. Good luck.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Tami, I don't know how much discomfort your talking about but don't discount good old aspirin if you can take it.

Marta
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

the Search bar above. There are several different kinds and classes of medications and we all react differently to them. I have looked up about everything and the main side effect I've read with Percocet and others like it is some experience drowziness and constipation. I don't know about the liver. I take Milk Thistle to help the liver, even when I was still on NSAIDs before the ulcer etc. started. Just do your research and if you are only having mild achiness I think you will find lots of things on the mild side.
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I take coated asprin for general aches and pains. I take hydracodone for pain so can't take Tylenol, but asprin is ok to take with it.

If I am only having general aches I just use the asprin. Since I usually have horrible leg, lower back, mid back, and hip pain, there are very few days when just asprin works. I have found that the combination of asprin and hydracodone work very well for me.

If you are talking about PAIN, then you need to talk to your doc and/or pharmisist.

(Foggy day today, can't spell! Couldn't remember the word pharmisist either and almost had to write RX guy!!)

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!