Any advice for adjusting to lower dentures?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cactuslil, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I had remaining teeth surgically extracted two Mondays ago and go for fitting for denture Friday. I understand the mandible begins absorbing the bone when the teeth are pulled; I am 53 and have complicating factors such as prior and current steroid use (I now take 5mg. rather than the 10mg. I was taking as a prior maintenance.) and diabetes. Also have Sjorens (sp).

I voluntarily lowered the dose of Pred. due to Cushings which is slowly reversing but I do wonder what is going on with the rest of my "innards".....Any info you have would be appreciated! CactusLil'
  2. marcia41

marcia41 Guest

Hi Cactus, Been forever since I've posted here,but do read here a times.I miss it too.
    Well,I am a rare person who has problems with my upper denture!Been to 5 different dentists(2 were prosthrodentists)and all said I can't be helped,I'm just one of those rare few who can never adjust to a denture!Wish I had the money for implants.Anyway,I've heard 95% of people have problems with their lower denture.Two things have helped some.One is to get a soft liner.It runs about $125.00.Another option is to get the screws put in your jaw and denture is treated with a cap and the denture snaps into place,and can't move,until you pull it off at night.I don't have a lower.but have heard from people who had this done,and so far all were pleased.If your main problem is pain,you may want to try the soft liner first.If it's too loose,may just wait awhile as the first 6 wks after extraction is when the gums shrink the most.
    Then.if still loose,maybe get a regular re-line or the soft one.Hope this helps and that it's what you were asking about.
    Good luck,your friend in the board,
    Marcia
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I was just headed to bed, then I saw your Post. I sure hope you have better luck with yours than i am having with mine, I got them in April and I still cannot wear them, it's due to the MPS/FMS and scar tissue in my mouth. I have a lot of gum swelling, and that makes it rough too.

If you check my messages, mainly n the chit chat board, you'll find we have been recently discussing this problem. Jolly's in the same boat.
    Some of us are planing a road Trip to Mexico where someone got their dentures fitted, so after seeing 7 Dentists here in Ca., I'm up for a Trip. lol.

Anyway check out other post's about Dentures and such.
    Sorry Lil, hope upirs goes better, I've had at least 20 appointments with the Dentist that did the org work, and no one else wants to even try.

Good Luck ,
    kredca4/sharon
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just my prayers that all goes well. You've been through enough.

Love, Mikie
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Girls and boys! When I found this site 3-years ago little did I know how blessed I was, would be and it continues today. Each 'newbie" brings their talents and knowledge and each of us receive. Love CactusLil'
  6. jolly

jolly New Member

You say you have trouble with your uppers..that's been my problem, too. Do yours hurt in the back where the denture runs into the stuff back there? I've been dealing with this for 5 years and have finally sanded enough (way more than the dentists would do) to get some relief. I think they make these things and charge their exorbitant price and then are afraid to "sand" enough off to get rid of the pain. Tell me where yours are hurting and maybe I could help you. Is this pitiful or what?! I've been to so many professionals who didn't help an bit..just passed me on to another "professional." Jo Ellen

[ advertisement ]