Any advice on going from Prozac to Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroPainSufferer, Jan 13, 2007.

1. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

It seems that a lot of people are having great success with Cymbalta. I’d like to talk to my doctor about it but I’ve been taking Prozac for 11 years now. Has anyone been on one anti-depressant & then switched to another? How do you do this & what can I expect? The commercial for Cymbalta says it helps with depression & the body pain. I have both!

I would appreciate any information on how to do this!
  2. CheriChaz

CheriChaz New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm Patricia and new here but just had to jump in on this topic. I've been taking Cymbalta for the past 6 mos for both depression and pain. I have been wondering why I've been gaining weight and now think this might be the culprit.
    In all honestly Cymbalta hasn't helped me that much. My Psyc. increased my dosage from 60 to 90 this last time but still can't justify taking this medication over weight gain. I already have a weight problem so have to be careful about what meds I take.
    I also take 4oo mg. of Neurontin 3 times a day for my leg pain which is what she thought the Cymbalta would help with.
    It's great to be with all of you.
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I was on prozac for 12 years and switched to cymbalta 2 months ago with no problems so far (knock on wood) Should be an easy switch for you.
    Best of luck
    Mini
  4. najerry

najerry New Member

I,too, was on prozac for at least 10 years. No dr. wanted to change my antidepressant. I then went to a new Doc for FMS. He immediately told me to change. Take Prozac every other day for a week and then start the cymbalta. He gradually increased the Cymbalta to 120mg. One in the am another at night. It was an easy transition. I still have some bad days but more good days. Hoping to start walking soon.Ive been on it for about 6 mo. I found the prozac caused weight gain, no more from Cymbalta but I haven't lost either.
  5. pspatnode

pspatnode New Member

My doctor just switched me directly from one to the other at the same strength and I had no problem. I do think I am gaining weight on it though so I am getting off the cymbalta. I have been putting on six or seven lbs a month and can only lay it to the cymbalta.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I also took Prozac for many, many years before changing to Cymbalta.

I quit the Prozac one day and started on the Cymbalta the next with no problems whatsoever.

Your doc will probably start you out on a 30 mg dose for the first 2 - 3 weeks, then up the dosage to 60 mg which is normally the maintenance dose for fibro.

However, at 60 mg, taken at one time in the AM, I stayed drowsy all day long. Then my doc wrote the script for 30 mg capsules, but to take one in the AM and one in the PM. Presto! No more drowsy days! That solved the problem.

Cymbalta definitely helps my depression and body pain. I am also a diabetic, and Cymbalta is approved for a diabetic's neuropathy pain.

I have not had any problem with weight gain with it.

I also take Neurotin for the fibro pain. It works well for me too.

I take Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer, at bedtime that also helps me relax and sleep.

Hugs,
    jlh
  7. clw

clw New Member

Pain Mgmt. swithed from Celexa to Cymbalta for pain. No problems with switch, but I have never been able to determine pain relief at 60-90 mg per day b/c I was on so many meds at same time, but actually have been attributing (along with a friend)a significant decrease in appetite to the Cymbalta.

Recently, after a unpleasant narcotic (and other medication) withdrawel, I have been trying Lyrica for pelvic and leg pain. I think the Lyric (next generation Neuronton)has dramactically increased my appetite! I am willing to gain back 5-10 lbs lost over the last year, but not the 20-30.

The trail data supports a greater decrease than increase in weight gain, which doesn't mean for everyone, but I would consider all meds being taken, especially note when med changes occur.
  8. clw

clw New Member

Pain Mgmt. swithed from Celexa to Cymbalta for pain. No problems with switch, but I have never been able to determine pain relief at 60-90 mg per day b/c I was on so many meds at same time, but actually have been attributing (along with a friend)a significant decrease in appetite to the Cymbalta.

Recently, after a unpleasant narcotic (and other medication) withdrawel, I have been trying Lyrica for pelvic and leg pain. The Lyrica (next generation Neuronton)has dramactically increased my appetite!!! NON-STOP FEELING OF HUNGER! I am willing to gain back 5-10 lbs lost over the last year, but not the 20-30.

The trial data supports a greater decrease than increase in weight gain, which doesn't mean for everyone, but I would consider all meds being taken, especially note when med changes occur.

ADDED: I am new, so I didn't do this before responding, but if weight gain a concern-read messages related to neurontin and Lyrica.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Cymbalta is a horrible medication to withdraw from. I just did it, and it is horrible.

I did not find that it gave me any pain relief. That's just me, but the withdrawal process is very hard and I would never take that class of meds again.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take it, but consider all the facts before switching.

Sue
  10. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I just want to thank everyone who responded!!!
  11. scooterdawg23

scooterdawg23 New Member

I went from prozac to Effexior to Cymbalta. In each case my Doc slowly decreased what I was on and slowly increased the new medications. At the time I was also on large does of neurontin. The neurontin was causing weight gain, but the effexor said that is nothing...I'll show you weight gain! 60 more pounds on effexor. I made my Dr. take me off and when I was down just to Cymbalta, I have lost 41pounds in about 6 months without trying.